OIL IN COOLANT, Possible Culprits?

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
Hey guys.....

My stock 96' has oil in the coolant (tan looking milk shake in the reservoir). Two weeks ago I got a Low Oil light on my dash, pulled over and noticed the engine had some how lost about 3 quarts of oil and there was brown foam coming out the reservoir cap.

What I have done:
Took the whole assembly off including the block adapter and core. Took the core apart and was in really bad shape with a lot of crust, filth and was full of the brown milky oil. I pressure cleaned it and installed all the o-rings and seals, everything went on nice and snug. Changed the oil, and did a flush without additives, just running water. After, properly burped the cooling system and topped off with 50/50.

It's now been a week and the reservoir is still collecting oil every day. Though it's not as thick as it was initially, now a thin layer, which I clean out daily. There is no visible evidence that the coolant is entering the engine oil. Everything on the oil side looks clean (as far as I can see on the dipstick and through the Valve Cover Oil Fill Cap. Engine runs fine and it doesn't over heat. Doesn't smoke in the mornings and there is no sweet smell of any sorts.

I'm about to order the WHOLE cooler assembly from Tousley. But, before I do that, can anyone shed some light into other possible scenarios where oil can enter the coolant and seemingly no coolant in the oil?

Thanks guys! Any help and input will be gladly appreciated.

- Rob-

Last edited:

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
Once a car came to my work and had this problem, wasn't a cobra but the oil and coolant mixed. I had to flush that sucker with like 20 gallons of water and it was still filth so we just put a radiator in it. I would do that

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
Once a car came to my work and had this problem, wasn't a cobra but the oil and coolant mixed. I had to flush that sucker with like 20 gallons of water and it was still filth so we just put a radiator in it. I would do that

Interesting......I also did notice a lot of the oil was sticking to the inner lining of the coolant hoses. Can this milky oil stay in the system, would a chemical flush push it all out?

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
This most likely means coolant got into you motor. Glycol is coolant destroys engine bearings.

Since the oil sees way higher pressure than the coolant pump, would that not explain no coolant in the oil maybe? Just a thought.
If there was coolant in the oil, what sings/symptoms should I look for?

Last edited:

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
Pull your dipstick and see if there is anytjing on the tip or if its bubbly looking

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
hmm
some people dont use the chemical but i dont see any problem with a chemical radiator flush
as long as its not like a transmission or power steering flush i dont see any issues

sometimes water doesnt get it all out

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
Called up Steve over at Tousley Ford and picked up the Cooler Core for half the price from my local dealer along with a few other odds and ends. I'm going to extensively flush and burp the cooling system with some additives to break down any left over oil and drain it out! This cooler is such a PITA!

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Frankly, I'm surprised you're putting a factory cooler back on it.

Could have used a GT/Mach 1 water neck and ran a remote filter setup with an aftermarket oil cooler for probably virtually the same price and gotten better cooling results.

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
Frankly, I'm surprised you're putting a factory cooler back on it.

Could have used a GT/Mach 1 water neck and ran a remote filter setup with an aftermarket oil cooler for probably virtually the same price and gotten better cooling results.

I agree this stock cooler is a time bomb. Who has that aftermarket set up done? Would like to inquire on which proper parts to get. I don't trust this stock cooler at all!

crazycarlo

Established Member
I would change te oil if you Havnt already. Just because it's not on the dipstick doesn't mean there isn't coolant in the oil. I had that blem a while back. Oil looked great on the stick ten when I drained it there were a few quarts of water in it.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
I would change te oil if you Havnt already. Just because it's not on the dipstick doesn't mean there isn't coolant in the oil. I had that blem a while back. Oil looked great on the stick ten when I drained it there were a few quarts of water in it.

+1 for preventative maintenance

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member

I have done 3 oil changes this month while repairing and diagnosing the leak.:bash: This weekend will be the 4th as I install the Ford provided cooler. The last 3 oil changes showed no signs of coolant, just clean oil.

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
Super long late update. 8yrs That issue turned out to be the Oil Cooler. The engine oils system never saw any coolant which was a great relief. At that time, the whole coolant system was flushed out removing all the oil from the system. Since replacing the Oil Cooler, the oil in coolant issue stopped. What caused it? A loose center pin where the oil filter threads on and worn o-ring. Every time you change your oil, make sure to torque the center pin where the oil threads in to factory spec. It may loosen from spec when unthreading the oil filter. I learned the hard way.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
glad that took care of it, when you get oil the cooling system there are chemicals out there you can use to flush is to get all the oil residue out or take it somewhere with an actual flush machine. Even if you use the drain holes in the block it's hard to get ALL the coolant out of the system

Users who are viewing this thread