Oil recommendations

horspla2000

Established Member
The oil filter is passing all that metal right through or bypassing at only 50 miles?:shrug:

On production engines I'm not convinced that they are actually using a break in oil, especially if they recommend a 7k drain interval. I would not be surprised if the factory fill turned out to be a bulk 5w20 synth blend of some sort.

New vehicles and reman Ford engines come w the recommended oil already in them. There is no such thing as break in oil on new or Ford remans.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
A lot of people with High HP cars use it. The zinc and phosphorus additive in the oil really help eliminate the wear on the motor.

I'm not so sure these days. Higher levels of ZDDP have been shown in the GT500 engine to not make a difference on engine wear. ZDDP really shines in high pressure areas of contact (i.e. old school flat tappet cams and lifters). New technology doesn't have high pressure areas to that extreme.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 (API SN levels of ZDDP) resulted in the same wear ppm metals as Amsoil AMO 10W-40 (high levels of ZDDP) and Amsoil RD30 10W-30 (super high levels of ZDDP). There was no difference.

A formulation can cut back on ZDDP and compensate with other additives. I'm convinced that some of the changes can't been seen on a UOA.

Rotella T is a cheap formulation using inferior base stocks (group II petroleum).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread