Oil??

wantavant

Hey guys fairly new here, just curious what oil I should run in my car and what grade? I have an 03 with 14k miles, SCT tuned, pulley, intake and exhaust. I know previous owner ran Amsoil which I will probably stick with, but what grade should I run??

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Gotta love those Amsoil member discounts. Their oil isn't cheap by any stretch. My local Costco used to sell Amsoil at a nice discount, but they don't carry it any longer.

5.2Leader

Established Member
@LS WUT

That’s the only way to do it. Become a member and get all the discounts possible.

Get a preferred customer membership/account. You can pay yearly or for multiple years at once. Been running Amsoil in everything I own since 2010. The motorhome generator loves it too! LOL

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Amsoil buys base stocks from someone else, adds some additivies, marketing, and membership BS on top.

I've always used Mobil1 5w30 with Motorcraft filters in both my 2V and 4V. Pulled the Cobra cam covers around 50k and everything was spotless.

IllCobra

Established Member
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30.
Based on all the independent studies I have seen online, it's the closest to Amsoil quality without paying Amsoil prices. Though I am curious what you guys with the membership discount are paying for your Amsoil. I remember I used to pay $25 for a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (it has gone up since my last oil change) which was only a little more than just ONE quart of Amsoil.

IllCobra

Established Member
Amsoil buys base stocks from someone else, adds some additivies, marketing, and membership BS on top.

I've always used Mobil1 5w30 with Motorcraft filters in both my 2V and 4V. Pulled the Cobra cam covers around 50k and everything was spotless.
Amsoil prices are crazy high, but you really are paying for quality. They consistently come out on top in many independent tests.
Sadly, it seems that Mobil 1 is the company that seems to be riding the success its company built from previous years. Based on the motor oil tests I have seen, again, independent, it comes out toward the back of the pack. And their gear oil is absolute crap. I feel it's popular based on the name it built.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Amsoil prices are crazy high, but you really are paying for quality. They consistently come out on top in many independent tests.
Sadly, it seems that Mobil 1 is the company that seems to be riding the success its company built from previous years. Based on the motor oil tests I have seen, again, independent, it comes out toward the back of the pack. And their gear oil is absolute crap. I feel it's popular based on the name it built.
That's concerning to hear. Do you have any links to where you read/saw that?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30.
Based on all the independent studies I have seen online, it's the closest to Amsoil quality without paying Amsoil prices. Though I am curious what you guys with the membership discount are paying for your Amsoil. I remember I used to pay $25 for a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (it has gone up since my last oil change) which was only a little more than just ONE quart of Amsoil.
Just bought a 12 pack of the SS 5w30 and that ran me with taxes and fees $142. So each car costs me about $75 with a Motorcraft filter.

I saved about $45 by having a membership.

Users who are viewing this thread