OK im seriously getting frustrated

oneSICsvt

Established Member
Put my car in the shop for some warranty work a few weeks ago for a loud "barking" or "screeching" noise coming from the clutch area during a takeoff. They replaced the throwout bearing. After they did that i got the car back and now it runs like shit. Under a load, always under boost, it feels like a misfire. Kinda feels like when the traction control engages on your car and leans out the motor.

I bought the car from a GM dealership where i work, They sublet the car too ford, they did a compression test, cylinder balance test, put a scanner to it and found no misfire or trouble codes. They thought it was a tranny or clutch issue because the tech at my work took out the transmission. He went back over his work and found nothing to be wrong. He said its nothing that he did.

I heard of someone who had this same problem and his was the wires connecting the tranny harness to the O2 sensors was stretched or the connectors got unplugged. The car is at the dealership still and has been for almost 3 weeks.

The techs feel that it runs like shit but have had no way to fix it. Please if you have had a problem like this let me know what it is or what you did, im getting really frustrated. I need my car, school is starting soon. If you need any other info from me please let me know.

Thanks guys

Cliffnotes

Car in shop
TOB replaced
Car runs like shit now

03yellow

Established Member
Had the O2 issue once after a clutch but it threw a code .
Put my car in the shop for some warranty work a few weeks ago for a loud "barking" or "screeching" noise coming from the clutch area during a takeoff. They replaced the throwout bearing. After they did that i got the car back and now it runs like shit. Under a load, always under boost, it feels like a misfire. Kinda feels like when the traction control engages on your car and leans out the motor.

I bought the car from a GM dealership where i work, They sublet the car too ford, they did a compression test, cylinder balance test, put a scanner to it and found no misfire or trouble codes. They thought it was a tranny or clutch issue because the tech at my work took out the transmission. He went back over his work and found nothing to be wrong. He said its nothing that he did.

I heard of someone who had this same problem and his was the wires connecting the tranny harness to the O2 sensors was stretched or the connectors got unplugged. The car is at the dealership still and has been for almost 3 weeks.

The techs feel that it runs like shit but have had no way to fix it. Please if you have had a problem like this let me know what it is or what you did, im getting really frustrated. I need my car, school is starting soon. If you need any other info from me please let me know.

Thanks guys

Cliffnotes

Car in shop
TOB replaced
Car runs like shit now

oneSICsvt

Established Member
What exactly was your problem, whatd you do to fix it. And how long did you drive it for before the CEL came on. Because ive only driven mine a few miles not for very long and no CEL has come on

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you an extended warranty? Just curious as to how your getting warranty work done?

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I have heard of similar issues when the wiring harness gets pinched between the bell housing.

hotcobra03

Established Member
miss

who really did the work..you say your gm man took out trans ,,than ford looked at it for miss after gm guy?

i also had o2 problem...after head repair..

mine also sent a code...mine came on very soon with test drive

a couple of things could have happened...

twisting o2 harness instead of pulling plug

vacuum hoses on back of blower and egr tube..

pinched wire harness on belhousing

ford made a misstake on my vacuum hook ups,,had code 455/457 for years untill a member on here noticed it when i posted to someone else on a problem.... is your car stock?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd have the dealer check the wiring harness ASAP. If they don't find anything, I would ask what they plan to do next. If they don't have any plan, meaning your car will just sit there, I'd take it to a good shop who knows these cars well. One who will really work hard to diagnose it. Too bad you aren't on the east coast because I'd definitely recommend Hermann (Horsepower By Hermann). He is tenacious when it comes to troubleshooting issues like this.

oneSICsvt

Established Member
Thanks for the help guys. Ya I have an extended warranty on the car. I took the car from my work to drive it for a few days and see if it throws a code. If not they say they can't do anything about it so ill just do the work myself. Starting with the harness being pinched by the bellhousing

oneSICsvt

Established Member
Would a pinched wire from the bellhousing throw a code or just make it run like shit. Because I'm not gettin a code

Wayneo

Established Member
Depending on what wire was pinched it would most likely throw a code could take some miles before it will though. I don't understand why they are saying they can't do anything? You have an aftermarket warranty and basically stock cobra and they are saying they can't fix it. That just show you how good there machanics are. I would drive it a little more to see if it sets a code or take you cobra to another dealership to look into the problem.

Wayneo

Established Member
Also might want to check you charging system, This can cause weird problems like your having if your not getting enough votage underload/boost but might be enough to not turn the battery light on. Just something to check since there notorious for going bad

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
miss

when you say runs bad thats while driving...

how does is run while sitting and reving?

i picked up a predator when i was having problems to check codes at home...i went around and unplug things to see what code would come than compare to ford manual...dude the code would set every time i did something....like the 2 rear o2s...it knows if they are pluged in the wrong spot...or pulling vacuum hose for evap...codes were always right....

mine is stock and i find air filter/maf/air inlet tube/tb/ need to be very clean at all times...slight miss is when i clean mine...plugs can be a cause also

how many miles on car? head tick will cause a miss also...

with ford not wanting to touch it smells like they seen something they dont want to do...head replacement

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
you know I'd bet on pinched wire, but with no code, doubtful. and really, if they just did the TOB, you dont have to remove the bellhousing,just the gearbox. If you dont find something there, just throwing it out there, coincidence does happen, check your MAF to see if it's dirty.

TVSCobra

Established Member
is it possible that the 02 sensor harness connector are swopped? This also sounds like a wiring problem.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
what do you think?

I'd have the dealer check the wiring harness ASAP. If they don't find anything, I would ask what they plan to do next. If they don't have any plan, meaning your car will just sit there, I'd take it to a good shop who knows these cars well. One who will really work hard to diagnose it. Too bad you aren't on the east coast because I'd definitely recommend Hermann (Horsepower By Hermann). He is tenacious when it comes to troubleshooting issues like this.

Have you heard of Hi-EndAuto in VA I'm thinking about buying one from there the guy specializes in 03-04's and supposedly does some pretty good work...

Users who are viewing this thread