Omg!!!!!! I blow the motor

TermySnake

Established Member
The coolant does not burn up pistons. High EGTs burn up pistons.

The head cooling mods are band-aids that address other problems, and don't really help the root cause of high speed failures like this.

Read the details here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7281223&postcount=35

this guy is right. but gen 2 head cooling mod will help much also gords HE. lol

let me light u up guys, when the heat in pistons r too much:burn: pistons will expand rusults in hitting the cylinder wall from the poor cooling, tell me why its the drivers side #7 and #8 usually fails because of the poor cooling. that's why u have to hate heaton and the twin screws.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
this guy is right. but gen 2 head cooling mod will help much also gords HE. lol

let me light u up guys, when the heat in pistons r too much:burn: pistons will expand rusults in hitting the cylinder wall from the poor cooling, tell me why its the drivers side #7 and #8 usually fails because of the poor cooling. that's why u have to hate heaton and the twin screws.

Upgraded HEs, do nothing to help this problem. They do not make the car run any cooler.

Piston #7 and #8 fail most frequently because they run the hottest. Head cooling mods are a band aid because coolant does not cool the pistons - fuel and oil do. Head cooling mods do more to eliminate the possibility of getting the head "tick".

rarelyseen

just so everyone know the race was only to 145, im the owner of the ''catfish'' that he was racing. the video should be up shortly, and if im not mistaken there was a camera in cobra. my camaro is a cam only car that runs 12.70 and traps 118 not a fully built car running 10's.

TermySnake

Established Member
Upgraded HEs, do nothing to help this problem. They do not make the car run any cooler.

Piston #7 and #8 fail most frequently because they run the hottest. Head cooling mods are a band aid because coolant does not cool the pistons - fuel and oil do. Head cooling mods do more to eliminate the possibility of getting the head "tick".

actually HE does help, it lows the intake temperature that detonates our motors with the heaton. tell me something (have u ever see alot of guys w/ a pulley swap like 2.76 still on the stock HE that they survived from blowing there motos with a 1000's mileage)? no.

ur not paying attention, in my post i say "tell me why its the drivers side #7 and #8" and not those other pistons. now look this page carefully http://www.lightningforceperformance.com/new-lfp-perfect-flow-head-cooling-mod-gen-2-p-547.html the write on the page says "This is because of Ford's failure to provide adequate cooling to the #7 and #8 cylinder jackets on the driver's side head creating hot spots/steam pockets in and around the cylinders (aiding in potential detonation)" that's what making the pistos go loco. lol:lol1:

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
actually HE does help, it lows the intake temperature that detonates our motors with the heaton. tell me something (have u ever see alot of guys w/ a pulley swap like 2.76 still on the stock HE that they survived from blowing there motos with a 1000's mileage)? no.

ur not paying attention, in my post i say "tell me why its the drivers side #7 and #8" and not those other pistons. now look this page carefully http://www.lightningforceperformance.com/new-lfp-perfect-flow-head-cooling-mod-gen-2-p-547.html the write on the page says "This is because of Ford's failure to provide adequate cooling to the #7 and #8 cylinder jackets on the driver's side head creating hot spots/steam pockets in and around the cylinders (aiding in potential detonation)" that's what making the pistos go loco. lol:lol1:

On a high speed run the HE does not really make a difference at the speeds we are talking about. There is so much air that the benefits are negated. The HE helps at lower speeds and in traffic. The factory one is actally pretty good.

EVERY street engine has pistons that run hotter than others. This is not a race motor, and as such should not be tuned like one. You don't tune away detonation with more coolant, you do it through proper tuning.

Like I said, I ran it up to 150 probably 40 times yesterday. All I have for cooling is a fluidyne radiator and a thermostat. At that speed I was seeing about 1500* F EGT off the drivers side cylinder bank.

Last edited:

TermySnake

Established Member
On a high speed run the HE does not really make a difference at the speeds we are talking about. There is so much air that the benefits are negated. The HE helps at lower speeds and in traffic. The factory one is actally pretty good.

EVERY street engine has pistons that run hotter than others. This is not a race motor, and as such should not be tuned like one. You don't tune away detonation with more coolant, you do it through proper tuning.

Like I said, I ran it up to 150 probably 40 times yesterday. All I have for cooling is a fluidyne radiator and a thermostat. At that speed I was seeing about 1500* F EGT off the drivers side cylinder bank.

i totally agree with u on those facts, but when engine fails at high speed usually the last cylinders in the driver side head fails, it's somehow related to the driver head cooling issues?.

i just don't want to tear my engine apart just to fix the problem. lol

89gotballz

Established Member
here let me shed a little light on what this guy has done... and if he has done everything he said he has then he needs a better tuner. because the camaro he was running only puts down 400ish rwhp
[ame=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/_204230.htm]COBRABLOWSUP,CamaroSS22,COP,bikes- Video[/ame]
enjoy

Last edited:

ricksterman

Established Member
I thought the guy he raced posted (here) that it was a cam only car that traps 118? If that was the car he raced, then clearly the motor was already fried at the start of the race. If he was racing a 600rwhp car, then it looked reasonable (until it went BOOM). Pullied Eaton/N20 cars make around 600-650rwhp (100 shot -like the OP), and camaros are lighter IIRC. Besides what has already been beaten to death, certainly fuel and tune weren't helping any......

Nitrous is nasty dirty whore, and if you don't watch and bitchslap it constantly, it will steal your money -speaking from experience (methaphorically of course).

Last edited:

89gotballz

Established Member
I thought the guy he raced posted (here) that it was a cam only car that traps 118? If that was the car he raced, then clearly the motor was already fried at the start of the race. If he was racing a 600rwhp car, then it looked reasonable (until it went BOOM). Pullied Eaton/N20 cars make around 600-650rwhp (100 shot -like the OP), and camaros are lighter IIRC. Besides what has already been beaten to death, certainly fuel and tune weren't helping any......

Nitrous is nasty dirty whore, and if you don't watch and bitchslap it constantly, it will steal your money -speaking from experience (methaphorically of course).

yes i stand corrcted i did not read the whole thread... yes rarelyseen has a cam only camaro.. i did not know thats who he was racing. i thought he was racing camaro ss22 i know both guys and rarleys car is a cam,and underdrive pullied car. the thing dont even put 500 down. wow that makes it that much worse on the cobra guy

kowboy059

Let me be the 1st to say that Camaro isn't what people think it is.

let me be the first to tell you i put that cam i the car along with my friend.

i helped my friend put the heads on that car and i helped put the inatke back on. heads were taken off because of rocker stud we broke.

its a cam only car with stock ls1 heads and stock ls6 intake. it has pulley exhuast and thats it. sorry its alot for most people with no automotive knowledge to know what a cam only ls1 can make

89gotballz

Established Member
let me be the first to tell you i put that cam i the car along with my friend.

i helped my friend put the heads on that car and i helped put the inatke back on. heads were taken off because of rocker stud we broke.

its a cam only car with stock ls1 heads and stock ls6 intake. it has pulley exhuast and thats it. sorry its alot for most people with no automotive knowledge to know what a cam only ls1 can make

and to top it all off its not even as steep as a ms3

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

negative ghostrider. At full bore, stock or aftermarket HE's will only have a few degrees difference, and once into 5th gear, there will have been so much heatsoak that there will be no change between IAT2's comparing stock for aftermarket HE, too much heat for any HE system to exchange, which means all this heat from a heatsoaked IC get into your motor. Your tune likely isnt compensating for reducing that much timing when that much heat is added to the mix, so your cylinder temps skyrocket from very hot to stupid hot, and your pistons dont like stupid hot and try to jump out of the block. Luckily for you, your cylinder walls stop this from happening and you get to rebuild a motor.

Aftermarket HE's are better at bringing the HE systems coolant temp back down faster after a WOT pull, especially on a freeway after a 2nd-4th jaunt, IAT2 temps will come back down to normal twice as fast due to an aftermarket HE having greater heat dissipation and exchange area. Aftermarket HE's also help for drag applications, especially when coupled with a HE Reservoir that takes a nice load of ice.

TermySnake

Established Member
negative ghostrider. At full bore, stock or aftermarket HE's will only have a few degrees difference, and once into 5th gear, there will have been so much heatsoak that there will be no change between IAT2's comparing stock for aftermarket HE, too much heat for any HE system to exchange, which means all this heat from a heatsoaked IC get into your motor. Your tune likely isnt compensating for reducing that much timing when that much heat is added to the mix, so your cylinder temps skyrocket from very hot to stupid hot, and your pistons dont like stupid hot and try to jump out of the block. Luckily for you, your cylinder walls stop this from happening and you get to rebuild a motor.

Aftermarket HE's are better at bringing the HE systems coolant temp back down faster after a WOT pull, especially on a freeway after a 2nd-4th jaunt, IAT2 temps will come back down to normal twice as fast due to an aftermarket HE having greater heat dissipation and exchange area. Aftermarket HE's also help for drag applications, especially when coupled with a HE Reservoir that takes a nice load of ice.

Thanks for the info BATMAN

Users who are viewing this thread