Online Sales Processing

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
Best way to process large price sales through the internet, PayPal has a 10k limit per transaction.
Looking for Low fees, Card reader, and invoicing.
Thanks

oldmodman

Established Member
Costco.

Their credit card reader and billing system is one of the least expensive. They really do their best to protect you from unwarranted chargebacks, and the money shows up in your account very quickly.

And now they have some sort of credit card reader that attaches to your swiped card or mail order account for when you need to take payment in the field or at swap meets, etc.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
authorize.net

but you don't need a card reader if you're doing online processing.

this is who we use, although swiping a card makes it more difficult for people to pull off chargebacks (this helps against people claiming un-authorized charges any way). If you dont swipe their card make sure to fill out ALL of their card and address info and make sure it matches once submitted.

also I dunno the volume required but make sure to ask about cost + pricing, this will get you the actual per transaction cost + a couple of basis points instead of paying an average % which can cost you quite a lot over a year depending upon your volume

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
We use Authorize.net as well for our payment processing. We do on average about 400 transactions a day. We have flexibility to do manual authents and we can refund back a reasonable amount of time.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Depending on what you are selling you might want to do an email signature program. The more proof you have that the customer was fully involved the more protection you have for chargebacks.

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
As some may remember my boat dock business thread from awhile back. We wouldn't be doing hundreds of transactions a day. More like 5 a week but with 5-15k in each charge. How would you do invoicing and so forth with authorize.net vs paypal.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i dont know that you can invoice through authorize.net, we just use it as a payment gateway. You may have to invoice them separately (are you using quick books or anything for your AP? that should be able to invoice people) then put the payment into authorize.net

ya the transaction fees for hundred of them a day add up but theirs a pretty big cut going out in % of charges too, you may be able to still use that to leverage them into a cost+ situation.

Rosoo

Established Member
If your transaction numbers are going to be that low, I could offer you no charge for individual transactions, and instead work out pricing with a low number of basis points. Costco was suggested, and Sams Club also offers reasonable pricing. They get you in other ways, though. I PMed you my number. Feel free to hit me up.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
As some may remember my boat dock business thread from awhile back. We wouldn't be doing hundreds of transactions a day. More like 5 a week but with 5-15k in each charge. How would you do invoicing and so forth with authorize.net vs paypal.

With that big of a transaction range you'll definitely want a signature program. One Chargeback with that large of transactions and you'll be at risk of loosing your merchant account.

Rosoo

Established Member
It depends on who you go through. If you get charged back and you're not in a position to handle it, then delays would be placed on incoming funds until a history is shown of either no chargebacks, or funds availability to cover them when/if they happen.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It depends on who you go through. If you get charged back and you're not in a position to handle it, then delays would be placed on incoming funds until a history is shown of either no chargebacks, or funds availability to cover them when/if they happen.

They do happen as well. Plan for it. It's more common with services, but even on product based orders, expect to have somebody buy one of your products only for them to decide they don't want it and simply do a chargeback. Banks over the years have made it incredibly easy to just write off a charge you don't want. Whether it was initially a legitimate purchase or not.

Based on what the OP is doing I wouldn't allow people to simply buy direct from a web site. All you have then are the basic card security features. address, zip, CVV2 etc.

Although I wouldn't completely rule out Authorize.net as a payment processor, I would make people call you and order direct and use invoicing. That way you've got a paper trail showing that it wasn't some punk kid that lifted their parents card (an all too common excuse).

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
Yes, That is what we do now. They call, place a order of what they want, we write up a paypal invoice send it to they're email, once paid we ship the product out. Paypal just take a healthy chunk everytime

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Yes, That is what we do now. They call, place a order of what they want, we write up a paypal invoice send it to they're email, once paid we ship the product out. Paypal just take a healthy chunk everytime

You can do the same thing with Authorize. Instead of providing a gateway, you manually process the payment through your admin tool panel. That way you still have invoices, but you'll likely save on some of the costs associated with PayPal. This also gives you another payment option for your customers. Some people like PayPal, some people don't.

With that said, don't abandon PayPal. There are many that don't do business unless they can use PayPal. For the customer it is a decent piece of mind with all their buyer protections.

That's also not to say that using a payment processor like Authorize is going to be substantially less expensive. Especially at first. As you process payments, volume increases and you show solid business practices that don't return charge-backs, you can then start widdling away at those transaction costs.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It should be around 2-2.5%. That's the cut PayPal takes on transactions from us. I believe that's likely pretty even across the board.

Users who are viewing this thread