Opportunity to relocate to another country - California

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Are you free and clear then? I recall hearing about cops issuing tickets and impounding cars that look modified. It's honestly really strange to me since California is seen as the Tuning capital of America.

you're not. even though your car passes the biannual smog test - legal or otherwise (and in two of your cars' cases, it probably would be otherwise lol) - any peace officer with a doubt can pull you over, look under the hood, and send you to a state referee for an extremely complete inspection, where absolutely nothing can be outside of the law. ask me how i know. it is a real pita.

other than that, i would say do it. as others have said, riverside county can get real hot in the summertime, but coming from the midwest, i think it will still be a big improvement. the beaches, mountains, scenery, and weather are really what make it great here. alot of other things suck though, as others have alluded to.

my company moved me out here from the east coast (ny/nj/pa) 25 years ago, and i never went back - that is how much more i liked it. it was the best move i made in my life.

i would have to disagree about great food around here though - new york and philly had it beat by a mile.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Cars. Awful. Smog inspection/check every 2 years which is a 2 part test: 1. sniffer in exhaust pipe, and 2. A visual inspection. Either of which is an automatic fail with ANY mods that are not Carb approved with a matching EO number.

Work around is finding a “friendly” smog guy; translation— pay him several times the cost of the test to pass you.

The smog thing depends on the car. They all need the visual. But 2000 and newer only need the ODB II plugged in. No sniffer. And the "friendly" guys seem to be disappearing.

As for becoming a resident, if you live here you need to be a resident. Unless you're military. I got a ticket because I still had my Az license after I got out of the Navy.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The smog thing depends on the car. They all need the visual. But 2000 and newer only need the ODB II plugged in. No sniffer. And the "friendly" guys seem to be disappearing.

As for becoming a resident, if you live here you need to be a resident. Unless you're military. I got a ticket because I still had my Az license after I got out of the Navy.

Good point on 2000+ cars and true.

Don’t agree on friendly smog guys.. I have 3 I can call right now this second.

There are other work arounds as well. All you need is an AZ address.

I had a 92 turbo eclipse making about 500hp that I only smogged once when I first bought. Every year after that it was “in AZ” during registration time so I filled out a statement of facts at DMV and never smogged.

Where there is a will there is a way!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
I don't know if you've noticed, but Denver isn't much better, any more.

Really? Have you ever lived in CA?

Even living in one of the most expensive residential neighborhoods in Denver City the following is true for me:
My housing is 50% cheaper than San Diego.
My state income taxes went from 13.3% (top grid, my effective rate was 11.23% last year) to 4.63% (flat).
My commute is 5 minutes by car versus 45 minutes to 2 hours+, depending on traffic.
We have functioning public transit.
I have a Colorado CCW.
I have NFA firearms.
I can own weapons deemed "assault weapons" by the state of California.
Standard Cap mags are available as "parts" at any gun store in the state.
I can buy any handgun I want, even if it's not on the CA "Safe Handgun Roster."
I don't need a background check for ammo.
I can easily buy ammo cheaply online.
My business doesn't need to post Prop 65 notices (This office contains chemicals...), etc.
300+ days of sunshine (no marine layer)
Gas prices are roughly $4 in SD, and roughly $3 in Denver.
My property taxes are lower.
My water rates got cut by roughly 50%.
My power rates got cut by roughly 50%.
My car and home insurance rates went down.
We have NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, two pro lacrosse teams, pro soccer team, etc. all in Denver.
I can be in and out of the DMV in 20 minutes or less compared to 2 hours or more in CA.
Parking tickets cost $20 versus $200.

Can you help with what else "isn't much better" in Denver?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You guys are high, Riverside is a desert. Anything along the 15 is dry/hot and borderline wasteland if not for civilization.

Though nothing compared to palm desert area. **** that whole spot. Dunno how anyone could live out there, its expensive AND stupid hot. Might as well move to AZ at that point.

That's true for anywhere in the country except for SF or NY.

The cheapest dump in the ghetto is $450k here. Its a shanty. I doubt itll even pass inspection, but someone will buy it for sure.

Stanger00

Established Member
Most of Ca is the desert.

Ever been to Livermore? LOL

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Livermore is not a desert. More wine now than anything else because of drip systems. Livermore is getting super developed right now. 2 years ago we were shopping new construction out that way and everything we liked was $900k-$1.2mill. Plus we live off the delta. Don't have to worry about water like Central Valley does. Hope they build reservoirs down that way because those tunnels we never get built to divert water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Really? Have you ever lived in CA?

Even living in one of the most expensive residential neighborhoods in Denver City the following is true for me:
My state income taxes went from 13.3% (top grid, my effective rate was 11.23% last year) to 4.63% (flat).
My commute is 5 minutes by car versus 45 minutes to 2 hours+, depending on traffic.
We have functioning public transit.
I have a Colorado CCW.
I have NFA firearms.
I can own weapons deemed "assault weapons" by the state of California.
Standard Cap mags are available as "parts" at any gun store in the state.
I can buy any handgun I want, even if it's not on the CA "Safe Handgun Roster."
I don't need a background check for ammo.
I can easily buy ammo cheaply online.
My business doesn't need to post Prop 65 notices (This office contains chemicals...), etc.
300+ days of sunshine (no marine layer)
Gas prices are roughly $4 in SD, and roughly $3 in Denver.
My property taxes are lower.
My water rates got cut by roughly 50%.
My power rates got cut by roughly 50%.
My car and home insurance rates went down.
We have NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, two pro lacrosse teams, pro soccer team, etc. all in Denver.
I can be in and out of the DMV in 20 minutes or less compared to 2 hours or more in CA.
Parking tickets cost $20 versus $200.

Can you help with what else "isn't much better" in Denver?

ROFL. More exaggeration.

Plenty of reasons to NOT live here, I agree. But you're reaching on many of these.

Your car and home owners insurance went down?? WTF does that mean and how do you measure it?

Come on.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Livermore is not a desert. More wine now than anything else because of drip systems. Livermore is getting super developed right now. 2 years ago we were shopping new construction out that way and everything we liked was $900k-$1.2mill. Plus we live off the delta. Don't have to worry about water like Central Valley does. Hope they build reservoirs down that way because those tunnels we never get built to divert water.

Yeah I know. I worked there for 18 months straight up until q4 of last year just down the street from the Lab.

Livermore is absolutely the desert. Saying otherwise is band wagon, blind allegiance type shit.

Why don't you walk outside right now and send us a picture of those rolling hills? We'll then decide if it's the desert or not.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I guess i'm weird but I would go.

Some of the best surfing in the country / world
85 Degrees year round, suns always out.
Technological Mecca
Amount of networking one can do is insane.

Would move.

Not for everyone, though. I can completely understand that.

Oh shit. I use straws.

uh oh....

I’m the same except for family here. While I hate CA stance on firearms and smog. Would love to vacation there for a week to two weeks just to see the car culture and pacific.

Stanger00

Established Member
Yeah I know. I worked there for 18 months straight up until q4 of last year just down the street from the Lab.

Livermore is absolutely the desert. Saying otherwise is band wagon, blind allegiance type shit.

Why don't you walk outside right now and send us a picture of those rolling hills? We'll then decide if it's the desert or not.

Not a lot of trees over here so can't hide the dryness with tree canopies, lol. We bought a home way up north near Chico and it's dryer there then here but those big ass trees make it feel different.

From April to October the rolling hills are golden yellow. And they are a huge fire hazard. Always have been and will not change. They are green during the wet season tho.

Desert like dryness but lots of vegetation grows in this landscape. When I hear desert I think Mojave type landscape that is desolate and mostly just dirt and few shrubs.

A lot of those hills have turned into vineyards over the last 20-30 years.

Too smokey for me to capture the hills. They're further away from me where I live in Oakley. I used to have a nice view of Mt. Diablo but a bunch of houses block my views now.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Not a lot of trees over here so can't hide the dryness with tree canopies, lol. We bought a home way up north near Chico and it's dryer there then here but those big ass trees make it feel different.

From April to October the rolling hills are golden yellow. And they are a huge fire hazard. Always have been and will not change. They are green during the wet season tho.

Desert like dryness but lots of vegetation grows in this landscape. When I hear desert I think Mojave type landscape that is desolate and mostly just dirt and few shrubs.

A lot of those hills have turned into vineyards over the last 20-30 years.

Too smokey for me to capture the hills. They're further away from me where I live in Oakley. I used to have a nice view of Mt. Diablo but a bunch of houses block my views now.

Fair enough. Definitely not like the Mojave but certainly very dry and nothing like the East Coast (opposite of desert).

I do like the Livermore area very much. I enjoyed my time out there. I was shocked when I cruised through that neighborhood across Vasco from the Livermore lab and found that a 1990's 3 bed/2 bath housing was going for near $800K!?!?! Crazy.

Ive had dinner at the Wente Winery many times. Amazing wine, amazing food. Highly, highly recommended if you haven't been! It's a little spendy but quality is very high.

Stanger00

Established Member
Fair enough. Definitely not like the Mojave but certainly very dry and nothing like the East Coast (opposite of desert).

I do like the Livermore area very much. I enjoyed my time out there. I was shocked when I cruised through that neighborhood across Vasco from the Livermore lab and found that a 1990's 3 bed/2 bath housing was going for near $800K!?!?! Crazy.

Ive had dinner at the Wente Winery many times. Amazing wine, amazing food. Highly, highly recommended if you haven't been! It's a little spendy but quality is very high.

I got married at Wente 2 years ago, lol. Love that place. We eat at their golf course quite often!

I used to cut through Springtown to get on Vasco to get home. Ride BART to work now.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I got married at Wente 2 years ago, lol. Love that place. We eat at their golf course quite often!

I used to cut through Springtown to get on Vasco to get home. Ride BART to work now.

Wow that's awesome! Small world lol

Machdup1

Established Member
where can I surf similarly aside from Hawaii? I'm down for a vacation! hahaha

@2KBlackGT yeah zero issue moving out there, whatsoever. Hell double my salary and I'm out there. Can always find my own ways to make money. besides, average millionaire has something like 7 sources of income.
You can drive a couple of hours of traffic jams to hassle with a bunch of locals and occasional snag something they don’t want to surf.

FYI. My breaks were Salt Creek, Dana Point, NEWPORT Beach and Huntington Beach as a yute. I love SoCal, but would never move back. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread