Out with old in with new.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Something in my 01 diff went bye bye. Began clunking bad on left turns and eventually on rights. Maybe spider gears. Excessive play in diff as well. We will soon learn what exactly when we pop the cover.

Instead of fixing the 130,000 mile IRS I opted to buy a low mile 03 IRS. Obviously an upgrade to the 01 IRS in various elements.

11040_529907930045_194403428_313027.jpg

From there we hauled it over to a friend of mine so he could begin the process of yanking the soft stock IRS bushings in place of Full Tilt Boogie Racing's IRS bushing upgrade. While out he also cleaned the diff "off the assembly line" clean, replaced any worn parts, and swapped in 4.10 gears.

I drove the car there today and he pulled the old and tired IRS.

DSC02715.jpg

DSC02711.jpg

And swapped in the new one.

DSC02710.jpg

DSC02716.jpg

While out I couldn't resist a fresh cleaning and polishing on the visible portion of the bassani catback.

DSC02717.jpg

DSC02718.jpg

A happy 01 Cobra now with an 03 Cobra IRS. I think this car has about 4 different 03-04 Cobra car's parts on it now.

DSC02719.jpg

The full tilt boogie racing kit is very much worth it. I did not notice an increase in vibration or noise with the 4.10's and the car feels so in tune in the rear now. Very direct.

:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

PS I will never recommend 3.73's again. 4.10's=wow on N/A car.

Last edited:

2001asp

Established Member
I love the silver Cobras. The 03-04 wheels look awesome too. I will be hitting the Dyno on Monday for a new tune. New parts added since the last tune are 4.10s, aluminum F/W, 3/8 intake spacer, and Kooks L/T....I guess we will see. Awesome looking cobra!!!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Jon:

Looks good, nice work! :-D

If you think it's impressive now, wait until you get the remainder of the kit in there! :banana:

You've got the hard stuff done now. The LCA's are a piece of cake which do not require the removal of the subframe from the chassis. (which you already know)

Enjoy that IRS like it should have been from the factory! :rolling:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

01bluesnake

Established Member
Jon:

Looks good, nice work! :-D

If you think it's impressive now, wait until you get the remainder of the kit in there! :banana:

You've got the hard stuff done now. The LCA's are a piece of cake which do not require the removal of the subframe from the chassis. (which you already know)

Enjoy that IRS like it should have been from the factory! :rolling:

Just want to give you a big :thumbsup::thumbsup: on the kit, I assembled the unit for Jon and can only say wow. very nice kit indeed, very well packaged, and those tools are a must. I drove it with him when the car was done and couldn't believe how much better the rear felt even without the lowers. to anyone who is thinking about doing this, don't think about, just do it. Also, any chance you will design a stock lower arm bushing kit for the front to cure the slop? i know there are poly's out there, but prefer your bushings material and quality by far. thanks again

drew

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Just want to give you a big :thumbsup::thumbsup: on the kit, I assembled the unit for Jon and can only say wow. very nice kit indeed, very well packaged, and those tools are a must. I drove it with him when the car was done and couldn't believe how much better the rear felt even without the lowers. to anyone who is thinking about doing this, don't think about, just do it. Also, any chance you will design a stock lower arm bushing kit for the front to cure the slop? i know there are poly's out there, but prefer your bushings material and quality by far. thanks again

drew

Drew:

Thank you for the positive comments on the kit! :-D We get a lot of people telling us how impressed they are with the packaging, fit, finish and performance of the product. We NEVER get sick of hearing it! :banana:

As I have stated in the IRS Informational Article:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ystery-cobra-independent-rear-suspension.html

I was forced into manufacturing my first IRS kit out of necessity. Nobody made a Delrin IRS kit when I was shopping for one in December of 2003. The kit has been so popular and successful that I plan on continuing to make the kit for other IRS owners to enjoy from here on out. I don't plan on getting into front suspension parts because there are plenty of people already making them. Sorry. :(

Users who are viewing this thread