Overheated, what am I looking at?

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Driving home i saw the temp gauge go up past normal so I stopped to inspect. It has some coolant splashed around the reservoir area and the battery tray but no hoses appear to be leaking. I could only drive a mile at a time before it overheated to about three quarters of the temp gauge and I would stop. Meanwhile I noticed that with my key in the on position, the fans wouldn't turn on. The fuse looked good, so I figure maybe the fan motor went out. When I pulled into my driveway the temp was still at three quarters but after letting it sit for a min and looking at the gauge again it was pegged to max. So, the question is, did I just ruin my head gasket? Or could I b ok? Also, the fans should turn on if need be when key is in on position, like every other car right? Tell me my head gasket didn't blow guys...

mkb116

Established Member
Well if you're worried, do an oil change. If there's coolant in the oil..... You'll know. Doesn't sound like a head gasket. Not to mention it would be much more common for it to be a minor coolant system issue.

How many miles?

rickrubin2

Established Member
Radiator cap could have went bad and left you low on coolant I had that happen once in my 03. Another thing is the thermostat could have went bad as well. Just for your info these are all cheap go to first things as a way to narrow it down. Like stated above the fan sensor might have went bad or possibly even the fan

hotcobra03

Established Member
Fan ring broken?

Fan should come on with ac on..

I have over heated 100 times..driven to when car shuts down. .

Its debatable on damage. .

I also changed oil after just to be safe on quality of oil after boiling if it does

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I had mine do something similar once, overheated, fans wouldnt kick on, shut it down and towed to the dealer. Dealer messed with it for a while, ran fans on high/low, switched them back and forth, never had any issues. I drove it another year with zero issues. Just a fluke.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Hmmm. Thanks guys. So there's a fan sensor that could have went bad, not just the fan itself. How do i check the sensor?

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
So i have continuity on the fan resistor and fuse. When I turn the ac on the fans turn on. They even stay on after ac is shut off. When i shut it off and turn it back over, the fans don't come one. But car isn't cold so i wouldn't expect them to. Any thoughts?

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
I've been reading that if the fans kick on with the ac, then it's a temperature sender that is failing. Does this sound right?

UPDATE: I topped off the coolant in the reservoir that spit out and started the car. I wanted to see if the fans would kick on when it got hot just to triple check the issue. Well, the gauge showed it was cold but the fans did turn on, well below the temp that they should have according to the gauge. Then I stopped it to add a bit more too reservoir, when I put the key into on position it was way past the normal mark, even though a few seconds ago it was at like a quarter way from cold and the fans kicked on. Let it run a bit more, stopped it, with the gauge reading halfway. Put the key in the on position right after I stopped the engine and it now was pegged to way hot. Sooo, I just went with the research I was doing and replaced the temp sensor. Thing is, when I got back from the parts store, there was no more coolant in the expansion tank. Then, none came out when I removed the sensor.

So in your guys' opinon, how likely is it that this will b ok and I haven't warped a head gasket? Is it ok to have burned up all that coolant? I guess I won't know how much I burned up until I replace it... I'll keep an update going. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

speeddemon2000

Established Member
First thing the gauge on the dash is useless. You can press and hold the trip meter with the key in the on position with the car off to get a diagnostic screen in your odometer screen, that way you can see the actual temp. Second the caps on the radiator overflow tank have issues. Try replacing the cap. You can get one at autozone for like $10 to $15. Third if you ever overheat carefully after the car has cooled down pop the coolant crossover tube and make sure you top of the system from there. You will never get the air out of the system without doing this. Once you overheat you are going to have air in the system most likely.

Things to look for if you suspect a bad head gasket. Coolant in the oil, Oil in the coolant. I have seen also seen coolant pushed out of the overflow tank cap under boost when I had a bad head gasket.

lescok

Established Member
Your gauge readings fluctuating so much I would is just air in your cooling system. Burp it a few times before your next drive.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Never open radiator except cold if you ever need...always use burb plug

get a hand tuner..even a married tuner will work for seeing fan settings..

they can be adjusted with a tuner thats married to car..

Stock guage straight up..160 deg..will start to move at 228 deg..

red is 235 deg...

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
So, its been a few weeks. Everything was fine. Two days ago on the way to work, it overheated again while I was on the highway. This time, coolant sprayed out and it was around the expansion tank area. So I thought maybe it had a leak and tested it. It holds 15 psi, so it should be good.

Now I'm thinking my thermostat is malfunctioning and not letting the water get through the radiator. So it got so hot that it just boiled over. I double checked the hoses. I'm going to triple and quadruple check tomorrow. Should I test the pressure in the cooling system with the tank attached to the hoses while I'm at it?

What do you guys think?

If I get a new thermostat, should I stick with the Reische 170 that I have on there now, or go to the Mishimoto 154?

Last edited:

EB85

Established Member
*Watching this thread*

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago. Drove around and had no heat from the vents but the gauge read normally. Felt a shudder but no other issues. Found coolant in the same areas as the OP the next day. I started the car and just let it idle. About 15-20 mins in the gauge read normal and fans came on with no issue. About 6-8 mins later as the fans cycled the gauge started to creep toward the 3/4 mark so I shut it down. I parked it ever since because of a lack of funds but I have been accruing parts like a new water neck and a Reische for when the $$$ is there.

EB85

Established Member
. Should I test the pressure in the cooling system with the tank attached to the hoses while I'm at it?

What do you guys think?

This is a good idea since you already tested the cap or tank alone. This will help show any leaks at the rad or hoses that may be possibly seen under pressure.

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
do you have a temp gun this is the easiest way to check your thermostat and real temp in and out of the motor, if the cooling system holds psi then your head gaskets should be good and you tested your cap and it is good, I would say thermostat is sticking
also if your head gasket is bad and compression is leaking into the cooling system when the car is cold take the cap off start it and see if compression is pushing the cooling out, head gaskets can leak in the oil in the combustion chamber and compression can leak in the cooling system if I'm remembering it all right hope that helps

Last edited:

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
Having/have had a similar issue the past couple months. Currently diagnosing it to be the overflow tank isn't sealing right and is letting in air. Still running the factory one? May be something to look into.

Users who are viewing this thread