p springs rear only?

drewzx3

Established Member
Was wondering if anyone has just put the ford racing p springs on the rear only with stock springs up front? Was wanting to lower the rear a bit but not the front due to the roads being so bad around here.

kevinp

Established Member
I used the Roush rear springs to level the car out, added benefit was they are higher rate and the car doesnt squat horribly on a launch with the stock springs. Ride did stiffen up a bit though. I dont autocross or open track so I'm not sure how it affects the handling of the car when you push it..

Not sure how comparable the p springs are, I got around 5/8" of drop with Roush springs.

drewzx3

Established Member
I used the Roush rear springs to level the car out, added benefit was they are higher rate and the car doesnt squat horribly on a launch with the stock springs. Ride did stiffen up a bit though. I dont autocross or open track so I'm not sure how it affects the handling of the car when you push it..

Not sure how comparable the p springs are, I got around 5/8" of drop with Roush springs.

Do u have any pics of yours? How much does the roush lower in the front?

kevinp

Established Member
Do u have any pics of yours? How much does the roush lower in the front?

I didnt put the roush front springs on, just the rear. If you are asking about how mush the Roush blower lowered the front it was about 1/4"

I took these right after swapping the rear springs with the stock wheels/tires.

Stock springs:

22-1.gif

Roush rear springs:

23-1.gif

kevinp

Established Member
Looks good might be the route I go.

They were the only rear springs I found you could buy separately (granted I didnt look real hard), local shop had them and said if I didnt like them I could return them if I didnt beat them up putting them on so i figured why not.

drewzx3

Established Member
They were the only rear springs I found you could buy separately (granted I didnt look real hard), local shop had them and said if I didnt like them I could return them if I didnt beat them up putting them on so i figured why not.

Where did you get them and how much?

kevinp

Established Member
Where did you get them and how much?

Local shop had them leftover from something, they dont sell Mustang parts usually. I think I paid like 120.00 with tax for them. I'm sure any vendors here that sell Roush parts will have them. Part number is 401295

kevinp

Established Member
i dont see any difference

Hard to tell since the after pic is darker. Before it had quite a bit of rake, now with a full tank of gas its sits level. I measuerd 5/8" right after I put them on, after a while its probably dropped down a little more. I just wanted to level it out some, not lower the whole car.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
I like this idea. I've been tossing this around as well. I don't want to lower the front at all, but I'd like to stiffen up the rear and flatten it out a little.

Mus35th

Established Member
I had just rear P springs on mine for a week before I got around to putting the fronts on. I don't have any pics but it looked fine. Leveled the car out.

Just go ahead and get the P springs and put them all around. Can't beat it for $179. Rides/handles great and I haven't had any trouble scaping or bottoming out... and that's saying alot since I live in WV.

P springs all around...

261980_610756443529_149800582_33003624_6151018_n.jpg

Last edited:

SicShelby09

Banned
It has been proven with the 05-09 cars and the GT500s that if you lower the rear only, you upset the front end aerodynamics. Then you hood will catch the wind at high speeds and wiggle and bounce like its going to rip open. You are tipping the car back and putting more of the sharp parts of the front end into the wind. Dont do it. Drop the whole car evenly.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I had just rear P springs on mine for a week before I got around to putting the fronts on. I don't have any pics but it looked fine. Leveled the car out.

Just go ahead and get the P springs and put them all around. Can't beat it for $179. Rides/handles great and I haven't had any trouble scaping or bottoming out... and that's saying alot since I live in WV.

P springs all around...

261980_610756443529_149800582_33003624_6151018_n.jpg

me likey this look, did you need a pan hard bar, LCA, or an alignment?

Mus35th

Established Member
me likey this look, did you need a pan hard bar, LCA, or an alignment?

I put the Steeda "Stop the Hop" pack on with the upper control arm for lowered vehicles at the same time of spring install. Did not need a Panhard bar.

I haven't had the car aligned yet. I put the parts on when the car only had 20 miles on it and at 6k I am noticing the insides of the front tires wearing a little more than normal, so I just rotated them. Other than that it's fine. I will probably get an alignment next spring when I get new tires.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
My problem is I can't drop the front, as I have a bad Drive-way issue.
I have an 09 GT500 Vert and put the Roush R. Springs only with an Adj. Panhard bar. Car sits just about level now. No Hood issues so far, although I did install the NXT No Drill painted Hood Struts, and they work very well. No issues...

kevinp

Established Member
My problem is I can't drop the front, as I have a bad Drive-way issue.
I have an 09 GT500 Vert and put the Roush R. Springs only with an Adj. Panhard bar. Car sits just about level now. No Hood issues so far, although I did install the NXT No Drill painted Hood Struts, and they work very well. No issues...

I didnt want the front any lower either, my ramps and trailer are just right the way it is.

I have been up to 140 and have no hood issues, I would think its more of a hood issue than an aerodynamic issue caused by dropping the rear 1/2-3/4"

Users who are viewing this thread