Paint on SVTPP Rims Failing and Falling Off

fhawk149

Established Member
I agree (That looks like its from road debris damage)
I use to work at a GM dealership.
We check all cars & trucks off the shipping carrier for
damage and sign off on that car or truck. We can't claim any
damage once we sign off. If it was a defect from paint flaking off
there would be no marks into the steel part of wheel like on your wheels. I seen damage like this from the road or a tire machine. You should of seen this & mention when you check the car at delivery. At $60,000.00 plus I would been all over this car. When we took delivery of our Boss 302. I had my Son going all over the Boss while I was signing the paperwork. I bet & agree Ford will not cover this damage.

B1ackB1rd

Established Member
For what it's worth, I have a less severe case of the same issue. Left front has gotten chipped during very docile driving around town.

In light of others experiencing the same issue, I wonder if the the alloy used in the wheel is too soft or the design is prone to this kind of problem.

I've had a number of high performance cars over the years with aggressive wheels of all kinds - I haven't seen this kind of problem before.

I thought it was just a fluke until I saw this post. Definitely a potential widespread issue.

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
For what it's worth, I have a less severe case of the same issue. Left front has gotten chipped during very docile driving around town.

In light of others experiencing the same issue, I wonder if the the alloy used in the wheel is too soft or the design is prone to this kind of problem.

I've had a number of high performance cars over the years with aggressive wheels of all kinds - I haven't seen this kind of problem before.

I thought it was just a fluke until I saw this post. Definitely a potential widespread issue.

Can we see what yours looks like?

eagle eye

Established Member
I have to agree with most others that it looks like it was possibly struck by road debris That doesn't appear to me like a defect in manufacturing.
I have had my cars transported in enclosed car haulers in the past and insisted they use the hold down straps that go over and around the tire to secure the car to the ramps.
I'm thinking that maybe when the car was delivered, perhaps they used straps that go inside the webbing of the wheel to secure it to the hauler instead of using J hooks around the chassis.

spazpilot

Established Member
No issues with mine yet. I'll have to keep and eye out. Also looks like road debris from the pics, but I would still go talk to the dealership and see what they can do.

cbrmuscle

Established Member
I would definitely see what they say but I agree with most of the others, it looks like road debris to me as well. Almost like a chunk was taken out and it proceeded to peel away from there. Unfortunately, as much as we loooove these cars, they will only be perfect for one single glorious day.

mullens

Established Member
Turns out that even if Ford won't fix it, the extended body damage warranty I bought should cover repairing the rims... I hope at least.

Hate to break your bubble but the wheel and tire warranty does not cover cosmetic damage. I know it happened to me. I scraped a curb and they told me the coverage is for structural damage only. Cost me $80 to have it repaired. I would try the warranty route anyway. You have nothing to lose.

Last edited:

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
Hate to break your bubble but the wheel and tire warranty does not cover cosmetic damage. I know it happened to me. I scraped a curb and they told me the coverage is for structural damage only. Cost me $80 to have it repaired. I would try the warranty route anyway. You have nothing to lose.

Hate to burst your bubble but I bought an extended warranty that covers body damage to an extent. It's from a third party. I know the coverage you're talking about though!

Last edited:

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
Yup we bought this for my other halfs FRS. She very often curbs wheels- $300 well spent

Do they completely repaint or just touch up generally.

Update: I called the dealer, they didn't offer the rim coverage to me so I'll take it in hopefully tomorrow to see what Ford says...

Last edited:

mullens

Established Member
Hate to burst your bubble but I bought an extended warranty that covers body damage to an extent. It's from a third party. I know the coverage you're talking about though!

Wow didn't know that. I usually don't buy 3rd party warranties but that sure beats Ford's. That Ford wheel and tire warranty sucks. How often do you bend a rim? I'm not getting any extended warranty on the '13.

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Do they completely repaint or just touch up generally.

Update: I called the dealer, they didn't offer the rim coverage to me so I'll take it in hopefully tomorrow to see what Ford says...

The one we bought is aftermarket- but it covers replacement of up to 4 wheels in a 5 year period.

steveGT500

Timmy!
Established Member
It looks like something scraped the wheel in one pic but the other chips look like factory flaw or being chipped by rocks. I know my 2012 Jeep SRT8 had a horrible factory paint job on the wheels and chipped very easily from road debris, definately not what you expect from a 60K+ suv or car!

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
I see the chip in the last pic, but above that chip is that 2 spots of bubbling in the coating? It looks like 2 spots of bubbling above the chip? Or is that a reflection? If that is bubbling then that is a defect in the process of the surface preparation prior to it getting it's coating.

Users who are viewing this thread