Paint or Powder coat brake calipers?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
So I'm getting ready to trade my Brembos for a set of Wilwoods, I can't decide whether I should paint or Powder coat them? Wanted to get some input from those with experience, pros and cons of either

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I have the entire front and rear wilwoods set with rotors on my 2012. They are powder coated black with red Shelby lettering. Have had them on for three years and look day 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I have the entire front and rear wilwoods set with rotors on my 2012. They are powder coated black with red Shelby lettering. Have had them on for three years and look day 1.

e83d1c08eb355f1799af298723251f14.jpg

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Shelby has that combo. There are three version: Nickel, black and red calipers all with Shelby printed.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Shelby has that combo. There are three version: Nickel, black and red calipers all with Shelby printed.

I'm actually trading with another member, the set I'm getting from him are black with the gold lettering. I'm getting them redone to match my car which is ruby red w/ black stripes.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I'm actually trading with another member, the set I'm getting from him are black with the gold lettering. I'm getting them redone to match my car which is ruby red w/ black stripes.

I see. You’ll like the looks and upgrade. Mine are ultralite 6 piston front, 4 piston rear. Go with powder coating. Its definitely tougher and looks better.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I see. You’ll like the looks and upgrade. Mine are ultralite 6 piston front, 4 piston rear. Go with powder coating. Its definitely tougher and looks better.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting them on the car. They should look nice behind my Super Snake rims.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Make sure after they powder coat your calipers that they TOTALLY clean out the insides of them before rebuilding them.

I had a local guy do my calipers, I love the look but after 3 years my LF caliper started leaking brake fluid onto the inner barrel of my Forgeline wheel. I took the caliper off and had my friend rebuild them again using a kit from Centric. When he took it apart he mentioned that there was a lot of sand in the calipers, I was totally pissed. He cleaned out all the crap and rebuilt them and all was well. I actually also bought another kit in the front for the RF caliper and 2 sets of rear caliper kits for him to also rebuild my rear calipers. (He did the RF for me already still need him to do my rears when I can get them off for him to do it)

I really should bitch to the place that did the PC but they are on the other side of town and I don't really have the time for that shit now.

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/brembo-caliper-issue.1140767/#post-15629638

My calipers PC'd Illusion Copper:

wahy50.jpg

ftfuc1.jpg

28vfxqa.jpg

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
I painted mine a couple years ago and they look just as good today as they did then. I used engine enamel though so haven't had any issues.

I think most of the issues people run into with painting is they try to use a "normal" paint which will discolor over time with the heat coming off the calipers.

That or they just don't prep the calipers properly and they have issues with that.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
What are you using for the "brembo" on the front caliper? Does a normal decal hold up to the heat?

My car is Grabber Blue with White Stripes. Been tempted to go with red calipers.

Tom

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
What are you using for the "brembo" on the front caliper? Does a normal decal hold up to the heat?

My car is Grabber Blue with White Stripes. Been tempted to go with red calipers.

Tom
I've seen some decals on Amazon and eBay that state they're hi temp, but I haven't purchased anything yet

Imatk

Established Member

Tom

Yeah it's held up better than the paint, at least for me. I had StopTech brakes on my last car and that's when I decided there was no way I wanted to paint that logo. For two reasons... 1. the original white paint had faded quite a bit from the factory job, and two the decal is very complicated with a lot of very thin stripes.

So I went to a buddy of mine that does vinyl and had him make up a batch of decals.

I actually pushed that car a LOT more than my Shelby and the decals didn't have any problems.

So when I got the Shelby I just went back to him and got a load of stickers.

I didn't get a chance to take a picture last night, but I'll post one up as soon as I can.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I had mine powder coated about 3 years ago, they look like day 1. If you go down this road get them fully rebuilt, well worth the money and no leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread