Painted My Rear-End (pics)

Torchy

Established Member
It was easier to drap plastic over the top of the whole car and make it long enough to wrap underneath the car. Sprayed with the suspension loaded to hit some areas and unloaded to get to the top. Def some weird angles I had to get at to get to the top like inside the wheel wells and above the PHB.

If I was doing suspension then I would of pulled the rear. It didn't take too long for the masking.

Fastnature

Established Member
I have a 14 and the rear is rusty as shit. I think it sat in a flood or something. I too will be pulling the rear and painting to improve the cars looks.
Your cars looks alot better painted

Molonlabemike

Established Member
Looks great...I was pretty bummed when I looked under the car and saw that the axle was not painted...more so recently since my rear axle breather is leaking :/

Torchy

Established Member
What kinda time we talking from start to finish for this project!

About 8 hours taking my time.

por 15 adheres to surface rust so no prep and sanding and is brush on it is self leveling so no brush marks. just cover yourself cuz the stuff dont come off!

POR-15 Super Starter Kit - Black : Amazon.com : Automotive

I wanted to use this stuff but it's a mess, I didn't want to brush anything on and I'm not too sure how accurate the "doesn't leave brush marks" is. Also you'd spend a little more going this route but most would say its negligible.

Overall I feel like por15 provides better protection but spraying is easier to me.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
should have been neon green for all that work.
for reel ...I will probably be doing this. maybe chassis grey.

jim g

Established Member
I wanted to use this stuff but it's a mess, I didn't want to brush anything on and I'm not too sure how accurate the "doesn't leave brush marks" is. Also you'd spend a little more going this route but most would say its negligible.

Overall I feel like por15 provides better protection but spraying is easier to me.

It is messy no doubt i did not have any problems with it smoothing out at all. If u think taping everything off is easier ..... knock yourself out! That just looks like alot.

Torchy

Established Member
Looks good!
-Garrett

Looks great. I'm doing mine here soon. I'm using POR15

Cheers
POR15 is great stuff.

should have been neon green for all that work.
for reel ...I will probably be doing this. maybe chassis grey.

It's a fun project if you have free time.

came out great. I would do it too mine but im too lazy

Appreciate ya. Engine bay already looks like this so I'm running out of things to do. Not quite ready for built motor yet but that's next.

2013-mustang-gt-009.jpg

Old pic. Been cleaned up since then.

Last edited:

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
Very nice OP! I have a Track Pack rear which was already painted, but it still doesn't look as good as yours. If I ever have to rebuild my rear end I will definitely pull it and repaint it the right way.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Looks good, it should have came like that from the factory. I think I'd just drop out the axle rather than do all that masking.

Users who are viewing this thread