Panhard VS Watts Link...?

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I don't have a cloud drive large enough for my internet ego, so I have to dump a bunch of it off here. ;-)

Thanks devious for your contribution to this amazing thread. :-D

Edit: Congrats on your baby Devious. Just saw that she was born from the info in your sig.

not everyone loves your sarcasm as much as I do :lol1:

thanx buddy :beer:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
They both do the same thing.. BUT
A panhard bar favors one side of another.
A watts link is perfectly neutral..

Think of it as if you're going into a series of esses the panhard bar is going to either favor turning left a little more than right or visa versa.. A watts link doesn't do that it's neutral.. Makes sense?

Oh and Griggs FTW

Lemers

Established Member

Think of it as if you're going into a series of esses the panhard bar is going to either favor turning left a little more than right or visa versa.. A watts link doesn't do that it's neutral.. Makes sense?

Oh and Griggs FTW

Thanks, that explanation actually makes sense.

ReapeR948

FOXDIE
Established Member

Oh and Griggs FTW

thanks
difference between installtaion is the modified diff cover? Im getting the track pack -- and previous posts mention that it wont fit with the coolers there... what gives?

Jroc

Established Member
Theoretically a watts links is superior to a panhard bar, but with that said a well setup panhard bar works very well, and many have used them successfully even in racing apps.

Also looks at the Steeda Watts link if you choose not to go Griggs.
Steeda 2005-13 Mustang Watt's Link - Made in the USA 555-2525

I don't care what about any BS that anyone wants to feed you Steeda makes very good parts for a Mustang, and I've never been disappionted with their products that I've used.

I believe that Shelby America or whatever it's called also makes a watts link.

GR40Freak

Stig's American Cousin
Established Member
Just FYI... The Cortex watts link comes standard with tapped ports for diff cooler, return line, and temp sensor. The rear cover is one-piece with integral watts pivot mount and to make installation easy, the cover bolts on without any dowel pins or other mods to the rear end. The street version uses poly bushings and is more than enough for daily driven track car. The design is the lightest weight unit on the market yet among the strongest and most rigid. The total price is less than the Griggs considering you have to add the price of their modified TA cover to the base price.

Last edited:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Just FYI... The Cortex watts link comes standard with tapped ports for diff cooler, return line, and temp sensor. The rear cover is one-piece with integral watts pivot mount and to make installation easy, the cover bolts on without any dowel pins or other mods to the rear end. The street version uses poly bushings and is more than enough for daily driven track car. The design is the lightest weight unit on the market yet among the strongest and most rigid. The total price is less than the Griggs considering you have to add the price of their modified TA cover to the base price.

It looks like a nice unit.
My only concern would be modifying the factory diff cooler lines to fit the Cortex diff cover. Just my $.02

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member

Does the Cortex Watts link for the SN95 cars require to have the wheel well cut out like the Griggs unit does?

91svtbird

Established Member
It looks like a nice unit.
My only concern would be modifying the factory diff cooler lines to fit the Cortex diff cover. Just my $.02

Same here I really like the Cortex design (street version) the best from all the others I've seen that are out there. How much if any adaptation would there have to be to reconnect the existing track pack cooler lines to the Cortex cover?

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Gosh Darnit guys we all know that IRS > SRA with Watts link or Panhard bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate you guys!!!

GabeMarlin

V8/RWD Fanatic
Established Member
Griggs for serious racing, fays 2 for occasional fun
/discussion

Put your egos away and get what works for you

Not sure why you think the Fays2 is somehow inferior to the Griggs unit. The Fays2 is pretty serious piece (I havent seen the Griggs in person, but in pics it looks like it is pretty stout as well) with large heim joints, huge grade 8 bolts on the axle to arm clamps and stainless hardware on all else, and a very beefy pivot bearing (around 1.75" OD) in the center of the prop. The center bolt that the prop bearing pivots on is huge at probably 3/4" with an 1.5" head. All the welds on the frame and axle clamps are top quality and the frame is made of very stout steel. The Fays2 prop itself is a CNC'd aluminum piece which is sturdier than the Griggs/Cortex designs by supporting the heim joints on both sides vs the heim joints on the Griggs/Cortex prop being bolted to the side of a flat aluminum piece. The big difference in design between the Griggs/Cortex vs Fays2/Shelby is that the prop is mounted to the diff cover on the Griggs/Cortex and the Fays2/Shelby mounts it on a steel/billet frame connected to the chassis. Jim Fay's site says that the main reason that he went with the static propeller design is to keep the roll center vs center of gravity relationship static during suspension travel allowing for better stability; having the prop on the diff like the Griggs/Cortex allows this relationship to change. I say the Fays2 is probably stronger than the Griggs because of the prop, theoreticaly has some geometry advantage, and in my opinion the better design hence my car having one. Single best mod of my car so far. Not knocking on the Griggs/Cortex though, looks like they are nice pieces as well.

Last edited:

Dabomb

Established Member
Somebody help me out if I start to drift:

The short answer
Panhard Rod- fixed position mount with (some models incorporating) ride height adjustablity. The fixed position mounting can cause the rear diff to arch "(" over full up and down suspension travel, which could and most often induces steering from the rear; which in turn could affect track performance in the twisties.

Watts link- removes the fixed position from keepin the rear differential centered and DOES NOT induce steering from the rear; which improves vehicle stability, traction and many other benefits from what I understand.

My disclaimer statement: I am an amateur enthusiast that enjoys modifying cars and open track events. In no way do I claim to be a professional or "The Source" for all information. Just like contributing where I can. Hope this helps...

racermatt

Established Member
Theoretically a watts links is superior to a panhard bar, but with that said a well setup panhard bar works very well, and many have used them successfully even in racing apps.

Also looks at the Steeda Watts link if you choose not to go Griggs.
Steeda 2005-13 Mustang Watt's Link - Made in the USA 555-2525

I don't care what about any BS that anyone wants to feed you Steeda makes very good parts for a Mustang, and I've never been disappionted with their products that I've used.

I believe that Shelby America or whatever it's called also makes a watts link.

Thanks for the Steeda Support. We do offer a great unit for hardcore racing or spirited street driving.

Our Watt's Link is constructed out of tubular chrome moly alloy steel, not mild steel like competitors. Stronger and lighter than mild steel competitors.

Let me know if I can help anyone with this set up.

Users who are viewing this thread