Parasitic draw and blowing fuse

emas20

Established Member
Ok, so recently i had to take out the engine to do some head work to it. after everything was finished and the engine was back in the car i noticed that on both sides of the head, there was a plug (which seemed like a ground) that wasn't plug to anything. So my brother decided to make a ground by just putting and O connector to the chassis and another connector to this ground on the harness. That was the only thing that changed after putting the engine in.

So then i go to start the car and i noticed that the pumps weren't coming on. after looking at fuses, i see that the Maxi fuse 26 under the hood (which i believe is the PCM) was blown. So i replaced it, turned the key and started the car. the car fired right up and it died after 5 seconds, so i turn the key again to see if the pumps came on and the fuse blew. after this happened i got frustrated, disconnected the two grounds i put on and that was it.

The next day when i try to see what was wrong the car ran out of battery. That means another problem and this time it was a 28 mili amp draw. i start pulling fuses and narrowed it down to fuse f1.6 40 amp (PCM and instrument cluster).if i disconnect it, it goes down to 0.00 amps. i looked at the manual and it shows all the fuses inside the car that are related to this one. so i start pulling, and finally if i disconnect fuse f2.39 5 amps (GEM), that also goes to 0.00 amps. thinking maybe this was related to the car shutting off, i start it again and it starts doing weird things. the spedo was saying i was going 30 mph when i was standing still, and the engine would turn on and off and on and off.
Anyways, i decide now to start pulling connectors and check cables near the GEM. first off i notice a big violet/light blue (if i remember correctly) cable thats not connected to anything but it looks as if it broke out of a ground on the side. i connect the cable back up to ground but i still have a draw.
Now i start pulling the 5 connectors on the GEM, the first one on the bottom closest to the back makes the draw go down to 16 mili amps, which is a "normal" draw on this car. but if i unplug the 2 cables on the side of the GEM close to the front of the car , the draw goes down to 0.

Now after that GIANT post, here are my questions.
Was that violet/light blue wire supposed to be a ground? it was under the carpet connected to the side of the car. it didnt look like it went anywhere but there so i put a new O connector and plugged it in.

is my GEM bad? if i unplug the first connector which control the wipers and washers, the draw goes down, is there a wire pertaining to the wipers that is shorting out somewhere?

has this happened to anyone else before?

Also, i figured out what was the problem with the car shutting off. i have a diablo sport chip on my ECU, so after i took that out, the car seems to be firing up normally and doesnt shut off.

In conclusion:
This car has been a nightmare. i also have this weird smoke coming up from under the hood. it doesn't smell like coolant or oil. i keep telling myself that its because im with open headers (which btw are ****ing bent and now my exhaust wont fit, so im thinking that its leaking on the heads ) but i dont want to find out it was a wire melting and having the car catch on fire. after exploring from the bottom the smoke seems to come from the top, and if i go to the top, the smoke seems to be coming out from the bottom which is why im thinking its the headers/head connection.

Also i think the chip was fried by the ground connections i previosly made, but i still dont understand why i have a draw? before i took the engine out it didnt have one.

I did get a code on my dash however when i had my chip in: D262 missing SCP message. (could a bad FRPS be causing this? my frsp vacuum line is plugged on the wrong part of the supercharger i believe)
Any ideas why thats going on? i never had any of these problems before, thats why i thought maybe i have a pinched cable from the engine install, but after tracing them all down, i see nothing.

I hope someone can help me out because it is really frustrating finishing something and then having 3 things crap out on you at once.

Thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate it.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
When my Cobra was new I had a high key off current draw too.

Since it was under warranty I took it to the dealer and it was a bad GEM. it was replaced and I have had no further problems.

It would be worth your while to try borrowing a friends or just get another from a junk yard car. If you install it and the draw stays low your problem is solved.

And a lot of people have had the same type of current draw problems and solved it with a different GEM. So many have tested bad that I think the part must have been designed poorly.

emas20

Established Member
When my Cobra was new I had a high key off current draw too.

Since it was under warranty I took it to the dealer and it was a bad GEM. it was replaced and I have had no further problems.

It would be worth your while to try borrowing a friends or just get another from a junk yard car. If you install it and the draw stays low your problem is solved.

And a lot of people have had the same type of current draw problems and solved it with a different GEM. So many have tested bad that I think the part must have been designed poorly.

Yeah I was thinking on trying that out and see what happens, but I still don't know where that violet cable went to its completely confusing me.

hotcobra03

Established Member
The violet wire? And where does it go? I don't see anywhere where it connects ,'do u by any chance have a diagram?

the wire your brother did behind head...

see your manual...21-6...connector c174/c194

ignition transformer

see 151-14 for locaton of c174/194...

if this is the plug you say ....it could have caused something...

when engine was pulled ...how was it done?

there are alot of threads with issues after engine install

on wire with gem...your got this car used?

emas20

Established Member
the wire your brother did behind head...

see your manual...21-6...connector c174/c194

ignition transformer

see 151-14 for locaton of c174/194...

if this is the plug you say ....it could have caused something...

when engine was pulled ...how was it done?

there are alot of threads with issues after engine install

on wire with gem...your got this car used?

Yes i believe C174/194 are the ones im talking about, that could of caused a problem. engine was pulled normal from the top. and yeah the car was used, by that violet wire doesnt have 12v going through it at all.

I acutally solved a couple of things. The parasitic draw had something to do with the first black connector on the GEM. i took out a black/white wire out and the GEM now goes to sleep like its supposed to. the violet wire since it had no voltage going through it i just capped it. and now the car starts up and runs like it should. the smoke coming from under the hood turned out to be the ceramic coat on the headers.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
With our cars starting to age, we're going to see PITA electrical issues like this more and more. It would be awesome to see a troubleshooting guide for electrical issues and modules such as the GEM and CCRM (among other things).

If someone says the car has a "Bad GEM module", I wonder what's "bad" with it to cause the current draw? Usually when the current draw starts, there's nothing else about the GEM that would make you think it's going bad. I guess it's like Tonsils... the only reason why it exists is to go bad.

emas20

Established Member
With our cars starting to age, we're going to see PITA electrical issues like this more and more. It would be awesome to see a troubleshooting guide for electrical issues and modules such as the GEM and CCRM (among other things).

If someone says the car has a " Bad GEM module", I wonder what's "bad" with it to cause the current draw? Usually when the current draw starts, there's nothing else about the GEM that would make you think it's going bad. I guess it's like Tonsils... the only reason why it exists is to go bad.

Haha good point, and I agree with you that the gem is just there to go bad. Nothing tells you or warns you that it's going bad until one day something just stops working. Same thing with the ccrm, they should of made it more accessible and possible to replace

emas20

Established Member
btw, i just noticed that the speedo reads 20 mph when the car is standing still for some reason.

Also, the problem with the car turning on and shutting down was the diablo chip, idk if its bad or what but i took it to get re tuned and it took it, but when i plugged it back in it does the same thing, any ideas?

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
btw, i just noticed that the speedo reads 20 mph when the car is standing still for some reason.

Also, the problem with the car turning on and shutting down was the diablo chip, idk if its bad or what but i took it to get re tuned and it took it, but when i plugged it back in it does the same thing, any ideas?

I was just gonna say, check to see if the instrument cluster is doing anything weird.

My passenger turn signal indicator would turn on (constant) whenever the CCRM was about to throw a fit and cause the fuel pump to shut off until I cycled the ignition. It would get worse if I tried to use the A/C or headlights. I still haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet, but I've managed to keep it under control for the time being.

Watch any idiot lights, gauges moving in places where they shouldn't be... check to see if they change when you put various loads on the electrical system with the headlights, A/C, defroster, or anything else.

Good luck.

emas20

Established Member
I was just gonna say, check to see if the instrument cluster is doing anything weird.

My passenger turn signal indicator would turn on (constant) whenever the CCRM was about to throw a fit and cause the fuel pump to shut off until I cycled the ignition. It would get worse if I tried to use the A/C or headlights. I still haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet, but I've managed to keep it under control for the time being.

Watch any idiot lights, gauges moving in places where they shouldn't be... check to see if they change when you put various loads on the electrical system with the headlights, A/C, defroster, or anything else.

Good luck.

Well i figured it out now. Everytime the clutch was in, the speed would drop to 0, and when it wasn't it would go to 20. Im not sure why its doing that, the car is up in the air, the tranny is in neutral and the driveshaft is not attached so im not sure why its saying 20 when the clutch is out. haha i guess when i attach the driveshaft it will start working normal again.

btw, anyone know about diablo sport chip? everytime i put mine on, the car starts, then goes down to like 100rpm as if the engine will stall , and then goes up again like normal. when the chip is out it doesnt do this. i took it to the tuner and he said the chip may be fried, but the chip did take the tune in, so im lost right now.

Users who are viewing this thread