Paul's High Performance

RSH427R

Established Member
No, but they are very popular is this part of the country. They receive plenty of mustang magazine publicity etc.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Why not stick to the known quality tuners?

VMP
Lund
RET

Sinovac

Established Member
Anyone used a tune from these guys? :shrug:

I have not use Paul's for a tune but they did upgrade my stock fuel pump with Walbro 310 l/hr pumps. Excellent advice and service. Paul's built the fuel
pumps for the Cobra Jets, so Ford has faith in them.

Ethereal_Zer0

Established Member
Why not stick to the known quality tuners?

VMP
Lund
RET

I most likely will. I just bought the car from a dealership and the car came with this tune on the SCT tuner. Just trying to find out some info before I spend a couple hundred bucks on a tune. Nuked engines are bad though lol, not trying to do that :xpl:

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
I most likely will. I just bought the car from a dealership and the car came with this tune on the SCT tuner. Just trying to find out some info before I spend a couple hundred bucks on a tune. Nuked engines are bad though lol, not trying to do that :xpl:

They were on Terminators...fwiw.
Just stick to the big names for a tune. :rockon:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Paul's High Performance had a very good reputation with the Terminator crowd back in the day. Paul had one of the first 10 second Eaton's and tuned a bunch of 03/04's with good sucess. Can not speak for their ability to tune GT500's.

And while Jon, Justin, and Greg do a heckuva job with these cars, there's others out there like Lee Blankenship and Johnny Wiker that are very good as well.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
I have no experience with Pauls High Performance but he worked closely with Ford back in the day and has tuned several combinations and even a GT500 black convertible turned into a 08 Cobra Jet for competition. Ive had friends and a family member that have used him or is considering using him. Hes better then many out there but not as good as some others from the limited contact Ive seen. Hes not as popular as he used to be back in 96-04. I have no plans on using him but I also have no plans to use Justin, Lund, or anyone else for that matter for my street cars. The only person that I've grown to trust based off of his knowledge and my experience with him is

Ken Bjonnes

I'll be tuning the CJ using Big Stuff 3.

I have nothing against the other tuners personally but I was around when a lot of the old looney tuners were out there popping Mod motors left and right(infact my 99 cobra and my brothers 96 cobra was victims of THEN suggested "reputable" tuners). I found Ken Bjonnes then founder of Modular Depot became friends with him and he started tuning a couple of my cars and I've never had one hiccup or issue. So in my case "if it ain't broke, Don't fix it"

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I've only used there fuel pump upgrade for the gt500. But to be honest the walbos are not the proper pumps for the returnless fuel system. They work great for the return style. The new aeromotive pumps are the proper upgrade pumps for the returnless style fuel system.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
I've only used there fuel pump upgrade for the gt500. But to be honest the walbos are not the proper pumps for the returnless fuel system. They work great for the return style. The new aeromotive pumps are the proper upgrade pumps for the returnless style fuel system.

I thought the new model walbro pumps they were using were the variable vein geometry that the ruturnless fuel system requires?? They didn't used to make them but now expanded their line up.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I thought the new model walbro pumps they were using were the variable vein geometry that the ruturnless fuel system requires?? They didn't used to make them but now expanded their line up.

The pumps they sold to frpp an the upgrade they did for me where the old gss342. An I had issues at low rpm with them till I went to the return style. In fact there were also 2 guys that had 1 pump fail on them an they both had bought the frpp whipple 2.9 kit that came with the upgraded pumps they both then upgraded to the new aromotive an I have not heard them have a problem with them yet.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
There's so much more to it then just being a good tuner. Your tuner needs to be a automotive Ford technician first and be a trained tuner with experience fixing cars. Because if you do have a drivability problem or electrical problem. Most tuners just say its not the tune. So your stuck with a 50K car that wont run. This is why you should find a good tech/ tuner close to you that can dyno your car a fix any problem that you might have when your highly modified car decides its not going to run today and the dealer says we dont know whats wrong "Its modified". Just so you know, there's a lot more then three good tuners in the US that can tune these cars. Maybe time to get out more and go racing. HAHAHA I would agree that there is more inexperienced tuners then experience tuners. But very few are trained Technicians and trained tuners. If you find one close. Don't let go. Because if your driving down the road and it shuts off and the CEL comes on. Who you going to call ? Happy Holidays everyone....:beer:

rdsnk46

Established Member
There's so much more to it then just being a good tuner. Your tuner needs to be a automotive Ford technician first and be a trained tuner with experience fixing cars. Because if you do have a drivability problem or electrical problem. Most tuners just say its not the tune. So your stuck with a 50K car that wont run. This is why you should find a good tech/ tuner close to you that can dyno your car a fix any problem that you might have when your highly modified car decides its not going to run today and the dealer says we dont know whats wrong "Its modified". Just so you know, there's a lot more then three good tuners in the US that can tune these cars. Maybe time to get out more and go racing. HAHAHA I would agree that there is more inexperienced tuners then experience tuners. But very few are trained Technicians and trained tuners. If you find one close. Don't let go. Because if your driving down the road and it shuts off and the CEL comes on. Who you going to call ? Happy Holidays everyone....:beer:
Funny you mentioned the Tech/Tuner in one person. When I first put the FMS short block in with the 3.6 I had and issue one the dyno. Car would make power up to a certain RPM and then it would go nutty and fall off/power drop. Jon Lund was tuning from his living roon in PA. while I was on the dyno in FL. He diagnosed my mechanical internal issue via the log, at that point he had tuned so many cars he could read the logs and narrowed it to cam timing/valve train issue. I had a follower slide off the pedastle(SP?) and he knew it from 1300 miles away. This is the type of knowledge you need when your car is be tuned.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Funny you mentioned the Tech/Tuner in one person. When I first put the FMS short block in with the 3.6 I had and issue one the dyno. Car would make power up to a certain RPM and then it would go nutty and fall off/power drop. Jon Lund was tuning from his living roon in PA. while I was on the dyno in FL. He diagnosed my mechanical internal issue via the log, at that point he had tuned so many cars he could read the logs and narrowed it to cam timing/valve train issue. I had a follower slide off the pedastle(SP?) and he knew it from 1300 miles away. This is the type of knowledge you need when your car is be tuned.

Jon is good and will do his best to help. I did have some issues with my car that he and many others couldn't figure out. Even a local dealer didn't have any luck. They told me it needed a new PCM and would cost 1200. HAHAHA i had it towed back to my shop. I ended up fixing it myself for 190 dollar part and a few hours of testing. I was just lucky that i had the experience and was a tech for 30 years. Any one else would of payed 1200 for a PCM that they didn't need and no telling what else. Car wasn't drivable for three months and three very good tuners worked on it. Two of them had it at there shop. So my point is. No substitute for a good experience technician and most problems cant be diagnosed with out hands on testing. These new cars are not getting any easier to fix. Thats for sure..

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Jon is good and will do his best to help. I did have some issues with my car that he and many others couldn't figure out. Even a local dealer didn't have any luck. They told me it needed a new PCM and would cost 1200. HAHAHA i had it towed back to my shop. I ended up fixing it myself for 190 dollar part and a few hours of testing. I was just lucky that i had the experience and was a tech for 30 years. Any one else would of payed 1200 for a PCM that they didn't need and no telling what else. Car wasn't drivable for three months and three very good tuners worked on it. Two of them had it at there shop. So my point is. No substitute for a good experience technician and most problems cant be diagnosed with out hands on testing. These new cars are not getting any easier to fix. Thats for sure..

Off hand what ended up being the issue you had?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
did to Jon's experience for me, when I mentioned to him my p2104 code and fail safe issue, he immediately replied spring/motor - and that was exactly what fixed the issue when replaced.

rdsnk46

Established Member
In Jons case his shear number of vehicles tuned in total has allowed him to see damn near every possible issue/cause in the GT500 realm.

What was the problem ITWL?

Users who are viewing this thread