Pedestrian Bridge collapse in Miami

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Death toll up to 6.
Believe around 8 cars were under the bridge.
Collapsed when the light was still red.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/death-toll-florida-bridge-collapse-climbs/story?id=53791946

One woman who barely avoided the deadly collapse said she saw the structure crumble "in front of me, and it fell on the cars that were waiting for the light to change."

"I was near the light. I was the first car that moved forward when it changed and I was near the bridge. It was fine, and all of a sudden, I saw it collapse from the left towards the middle," Suzy Bermudez told reporters Thursday.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I bet it was materials related. It really is a senseless tragedy. Bad things happen for no reason unfortunately, but a lot of bad things happen in Florida in general.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Ban bridges!!

Amazing something like that can happen with the tools structural engineers and architects have at their disposal. Somebody is about to get sued BIG time.

If banning bridges saves one life................

Seriously, someone needs to be skinned alive for such a failure whether it is the person who designed it, installed it or manufactured the materials.

Coiled03

Established Member
The engineering and specs will check out. The construction, materials or methods will be the cause of failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, you're suggesting someone maliciously used the wrong materials to save a few dollars? Or somehow, they procured materials that don't meet specs by accident?

I'm not really sure I follow what you're suggesting, unless you think the inspector simply made a mistake.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
saw something here this morning that said they were tightening cables when it collapsed

...then again there was an early report that something may have hit the bridge and the damaged it leading to the collapse so who knows

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
So, you're suggesting someone maliciously used the wrong materials to save a few dollars? Or somehow, they procured materials that don't meet specs by accident?

I'm not really sure I follow what you're suggesting, unless you think the inspector simply made a mistake.

Not at all a malicious act. I'm saying it will not be an engineering mistake. It will be the fault of material strength failure, field testing mistakes to include transportation and erecting. What I see in picture is a sign that upper canopy stress compaction levels were tremendous and upheaval occurred, along with heavy fragmentation. My guess is stress tests was not balanced from top to bottom of structure.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
From a report I had read, they were in the process of moving a large block which I believe was stated as a support and a crane cable snapped. It struck the bridge from above and caused the collapse. Who knows, lots of different stories I’ve seen presented thus far. Supposedly a center support section was not in place as of yet as well, span failure?

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
The bridge design is a modeled after a near 100 year open web design. First known as the Warren design. It is used in steel construction heavily in roof and floor design. It consists of two parallel members with triangular web connecting the top and bottom cords. Typically in the design of the joist it is hung or attached at upper member at ends. By design the upper member stress is compaction while the lower member stress is expansion. The photos clearly show the roof as the compression point in the triangular design. That is why it blew apart on one side but maintained slab stiffness on the other. Notice in pic triangular supports still intact on the one side, between upper and lower sections. Design usually does not have in intermediate support as like most truss design. I bet it was a clear span design.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Best analysis I've seen. I believe this guy is right. All of his videos are worth watching, btw.

Makes perfect sense to me. Wondering if it was routine to them & the reason traffic wasn't halted?
That seems like a pretty huge roll of the dice.

08mojo

Established Member
Makes perfect sense to me. Wondering if it was routine to them & the reason traffic wasn't halted?
That seems like a pretty huge roll of the dice.

I wonder when they realized there was a problem... It should have been a routine procedure, but if the post-tension cable wasn't tightening/ holding load they should have know it was approaching failure.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
29365860_1626421740812438_5104306967577079298_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread