People With Tri-Ax Come In!

DaveMan

COBRA COMMANDER
Established Member
Are your shifts good? I mean does it go right into gear when shifting hard at high RPMs?

I'm asking because when I bought my car it came with one in it. I find when shifting quick it feels like I hit a gate for a second before it actually goes into gear, like a bit of restriction before it will take the gear.

I have a friend who has a MGW and have not drove his car but been with him and it seems like his goes right into gear no problem at all.

My clutch is stock and adjusted correctly, car has 21,000 miles and running Amsoil ATF.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Bottom line is I think the Tri-Ax sucks peronally and I have it, look in my sig.

It is waaay to notchy for my liking and hard to shift very hard and fast like you mentioned.

Upgrading to the MGW Orange is def. on my To do list.

Last edited:

Iron Fist

Established Member
I have a Tri-ax and it felt notchy out of the box, so before I installed it I took it apart and smoothed off the machining marks on the ball and socket. It is very smooth and I have never missed a shift.

You could try what I did before buying a new shifter.

Last edited:

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
I have a Tri-ax and it felt notchy out of the box, so before I installed it I took it apart and smoothed off the machining marks on the ball and socket. It is very smooth and I have never missed a shift.

You could try what I did before buying a new shifter.

Not a bad idea. :thumbsup:

However, if you don't have the time to take it apart and smooth it down and see if it's better I would just go with the Orange like many people on here have and enjoy it!

Sell the Tri-Ax and spend a little amount of $ to get a good quality MGW piece.

pony23

Established Member
I have a Pro 5.0 with the Tri-ax handle. 2 great tastes that taste great together... Love this combo. Puts the handle in the right spot.

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
Its not that bad... I had a shifting issue which was caused more so by an adjustment than anything else... after I fixed that it shifts pretty damn good at wot. Is the hesitation from the pprv? It could also be an adjustment issue.

cobracide

Established Member
I have a Tri-ax and it felt notchy out of the box, ..I took it apart and smoothed off the machining marks on the ball and socket. It is very smooth and I have never missed a shift.

Should you really have to through all of that in a new product? I don't think so. Sloppy.

I had a pro 5.0 base with the mgw in the 2001. That worked well. The mgw base and shifter look good for the 2003, I'll let ya know how that works out. It just arrived, should be in after the weekend. Bought a shit load of parts.

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
As much as I like the MGW and don't really care for the "notchiness" of the Tri-ax, the shifter probably isn't your problem. Most of the time the simple and cheap fix is a firewall adjuster to properly adjust the clutch and aftermarket clutch quadrant.

cobracide

Established Member
The first thing I noticed test driving the 2003 when I had a 2001 with pro 5.0 base and mgw shifter was the rubber type mush that the stocker felt like. I can't believe I waited this long but I guess you can get used to it.

DaveMan

COBRA COMMANDER
Established Member
Just to clarify, I have a steeda quadrant and a firewall adjuster all ready, stock clutch. It's adjusted correctly and I even went ahead and unscrewed the adjuster more just to see if the clutch wasn't quite disengaging the whole way and it made no difference.

When I say hesitaion, I don't mean the car itself. I'm talking about the shifter going into gear at wot shifts. It doesn't just bang right into gear, almost like it hits something that blocks it just for a second. It barely slows the shift down but it just feels bad.

Last edited:

totenkopf13

Trouser Snake
Established Member
Notchy Tri-ax here. Ok by me. Firewall adjuster and aftermarket clutch quadrant as well. I have a Maximum Motorsports clutch pedal height adjuster pending install.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Just to clarify, I have a steeda quadrant and a firewall adjuster all ready, stock clutch. It's adjusted correctly and I even went ahead and unscrewed the adjuster more just to see if the clutch wasn't quite disengaging the whole way and it made no difference.

When I say hesitaion, I don't mean the car itself. I'm talking about the shifter going into gear at wot shifts. It doesn't just bang right into gear, almost like it hits something that blocks it just for a second. It barely slows the shift down but it just feels bad.

It's the Tri-Ax man, I have the same problem. I'm getting more used to it now and I can shift decent at WOT but I know with an MGW I would be able to shift alot quicker.

divernb

Unrefined
Established Member
I have a Tri-Ax and occasionally have the issues you guys do. I find that precision and a quick hand fix the problem, took me a little bit to get used to but I don't really have problems now. At WOT I really bang it in though.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
Try changing the trans fluid before you do anything. I have a tri-ax. I've had mine for about 25,000 miles. It seemed like the warmer the car was, and the harder I ran it, the notchier the shifting got. It felt like click.....click, out.... in. It really took a good push, especially into third. I just changed to mobil 1. Night and day. I was really skeptical, but I figured new trans fluid was due after 30,000 miles. She's smooth as butter now. It just sliiides into gear. I thought it was a mental thing at first, but the more I drove the car the more I noticed it. I just kept thinking man this feels better. The tri-ax may not be the best? I have never tried anything else. I like mine.

dgreer27

Established Member
I have the mgw orange shifter, new spec 3 clutch, and firewall adjuster and mine feels exactly like your saying "like it hits a bump then takes the gear" Didn't have that problem with the stock shifter.

Users who are viewing this thread