personal vehicle as company car compensation???

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
That's why I love my Focus. It's currently costing me 8 cents a mile to operate the car plus maintenance items. Anytime I've used it for business purposes I've gotten 55 cents a mile reimbursed.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
perhaps you need to stop being a candy ass and do the maintenance yourself.

The maintenance on modern benzes could not be any easier.

The cars need maintenance once a year or ever 12kish miles. Do them yourself, and buy parts wisely, and they are not expensive at all to repair.

And you whining about her getting hosed when she gets money for gas and you selected the car is ridiculous.

jmk97GT

Established Member
actually it does ... if the company has a policy that says "an allowance of 350.00 a month is alloted to employees to compensate them for business use of their personal vehicles" and you go out and get a car that gets 12mpg your reimbursement rate is going to be less per mile than one that gets 40mpg. the money is going to be the same 350.00 but the basis per mile will be different.

Mercedes drives 2500 miles in one month. OP's wife gets paid $350.00.

= 14 cents per mile

Prius drives 2500 miles in one month. OP's wife gets paid $350.00.

= 14 cents per mile

:poke:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Mercedes drives 2500 miles in one month. OP's wife gets paid $350.00.

= 14 cents per mile

Prius drives 2500 miles in one month. OP's wife gets paid $350.00.

= 14 cents per mile

:poke:

LOL you and hybred are correct and I stand corrected. what I meant was less of that 350.00 would be spent on gas so there would be more left over to accumulate towards maintenance. /facepalm

black-plasma

Established Member
My company is getting away from paying leases/insurance/gas and now giving new hires $500/month and they use their own car and cover insurance/gas. I thought I'd prefre that since I could pick up whatever car I wanted but I'm thinking that is not enough compared to others on here (besides the OP's wife), but my lease is not up for another 2 years.

Sirl

Established Member
I didnt read all this thread, but, I too am an outside sales rep.

I choose to drive a 2007 ford Taurus. I get reimbursed .45/mile

The car is now paid off and I still get the money. Its like an extra 500 a month in my pocket.

Driving a MB for an outside sale rep. it just dumb. Sorry.

s_x_i

Established Member
Driving a MB for an outside sale rep. it just dumb. Sorry.

This ^^

I used to drive about 1000 miles a week for work. You want something nice and reliable, but something that has already taken it's hit of depreciation. I try and get CPO BMW 3 series between 50 and 70,000 miles, drive them for a while and then sell them on when I'm ready for a change.

She should be getting between 0.45 and 0.50 per mile driven for business, so whilst driving a new MB is definitely not the smartest of choices, she should be getting re-imbursed quite a bit more than she is right now. :dw:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
LOL you and hybred are correct and I stand corrected. what I meant was less of that 350.00 would be spent on gas so there would be more left over to accumulate towards maintenance. /facepalm

I think you are right though. She's still getting paid the same amount per mile no matter what car she drives, but tooling around in a Civic getting 40mpg on regular gas is much cheaper than a Mercedes getting 23 mpg on premium. Imagine how much farther that $350 will go on just gas. Plus maintenance on a Honda is so easy, a caveman could do it.

SpectorV

Established Member
back when I had to drive my car for my job (now and again not all the time) they just paid us the same as the gov did for their cars per mile. At the time it was 45 cents a mile~ to make math easy if it was 50 cents an you drove 3400 then that would be 1700 a month they would pay out to cover gas and upkeep.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
She is getting the shaft but it is her fault. Pick up something small and good on gas. I run about 1,000 miles per month and get paid $500 with the $.50 per mile agreement.

Users who are viewing this thread