personal vehicle as company car compensation???

rkomo

Herro, Mr. Itabashi here
Established Member
The company cant be expected to cover your wife's desire to have an expensive car. I am willing to bet they pay that amount regardless of the car the employee drives. Get rid of it and get a Ford Fiesta or Focus.

Exactly, she is lucky with the rate she gets. Especially considering that she's writing it off @ end-of-year anyway. Car reimbursement depends on the size of the company & the work involved. I've worked for Fortune 100 companies in the past where the actual car & all expenses on it were paid for. Other smaller companies would only reimburse you $0.15 to $0.20/mile for work related driving. Just because govt. employees get paid $0.50+/mile doesnt mean the private sector has to or will duplicate this. People always tend to abuse this perk anyway, so I understand why it varies widely.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
my wife got a new mercedes that she uses as a company vehicle for which her job compensates her $350 in gas a month. becuz its a mercedes the maintenance is higher on it and german engineering is whack (no dipsticks oil or trans, all sensors) im forced to take it to the dealer which is getting expensive. im thinking she is getting the short end of the stick. she averages 3500 miles a month (1000 personal im guessing) at 20mpg the $350 gets her 2400 miles roughly and breaking about even. she claims her mileage at the end of year but i feel she is still getting cheated. what is normal compensation for a personal company car? should she also be getting paid for wear and tear or a car allowance? thanks in advance

Huge mistake was turning in my company car then buying a car for company use. 3000 miles a month was a killer.

I got compensated for gas, oil, parking and bridge tolls. Still if you do a lot of driving like I was in the (1980's) you will be washing it every other day, changing the oil all the time, tires, brakes and watching the odometer doing loops. In the early '80' I was compensated >$350.00 a month for a new 1983 Toyota Celica GTS. I paid 12k for it new.. loL

If it's a business you own, that's different. You can right off the mileage wear and tear when used for work only. At least it used to work that way....

If she can get a company car do it. Using a >$50,000.00 for work is a bad idea. Especially when it's time to sell.

Jeff

GrayGhost03

Established Member
well, i showed her these responses and she seemed upset...not sure if its at me for pointing it out to her and being the bad guy that its the wrong car to have and or that she is getting hosed but she agreed to talk to them about it. all i know is this car isnt going to be worth crappola when its time to trade if we keep it.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
My company pays $750 a month and then 25 cents per mile. We provide insurance, maint, etc. Our car has to be a 4 door and no older than 5 years.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
shes in sales, she doesnt need a benz but wanted one. we agreed to get one but damn... it now feels like im paying her company for her to drive this car.

sounds like negotiations need to take place in a hurry

why should the company re-negotiate the deal? if I were them I would tell you to go pound sand. You CHOSE the mercedes how is it their fault that you can't (or don't want to) keep up with the cost of maintenance? If they pay the same for a fairly comfortable 4 or 6 banger and you chose to get a Mercedes that is on you.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
:shrug: They're paying for her fuel, that's it. I may be missing something here.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Why not just get a lambo if you think you're going to be able to cry and get more money? Have them give you 10k a month.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
:shrug: They're paying for her fuel, that's it. I may be missing something here.
the point you are missing is that the op thinks the company should be paying MORE than just the fuel for a car that THE OP picked out. Rather than pick something affordable, they picked over priced and foreign and now think the company should be willing to pony up more money because of the Op's poor choice

Last edited:

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The company cant be expected to cover your wife's desire to have an expensive car. I am willing to bet they pay that amount regardless of the car the employee drives. Get rid of it and get a Ford Fiesta or Focus.

Exactly...

If she really thinks she's being screwed, she needs to document exactly what she's driving for business use and figure out what it ends up being per mile at the end of the month. If it's significantly below the national average, negotiate for more. Walking into her boss' office saying "I drive a Mercedes and demand more because maintenance of more" is likely going to get her laughed out of the building...

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Exactly...

If she really thinks she's being screwed, she needs to document exactly what she's driving for business use and figure out what it ends up being per mile at the end of the month. If it's significantly below the national average, negotiate for more. Walking into her boss' office saying "I drive a Mercedes and demand more because maintenance of more" is likely going to get her laughed out of the building...

sorry ...even using your method she is likely to still get laughed out of the building, she certainly would if I were making the decision. you can go a long way in something like a camry, accord, fusion, focus and any number of other cars for 350 bucks a month. get something with good gas mileage and put the rest in the "maintenance" fund for other things. the company is stupid if they underwrite any more cost for the mercedes than they already are.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
sorry ...even using your method she is likely to still get laughed out of the building, she certainly would if I were making the decision. you can go a long way in something like a camry, accord, fusion, focus and any number of other cars for 350 bucks a month. get something with good gas mileage and put the rest in the "maintenance" fund for other things. the company is stupid if they underwrite any more cost for the mercedes than they already are.

My first sentence has absolutely nothing with what she drives. It doesn't matter if she's driving a Prius or a Ferrari, if she's being compensated under the national average she has a right to ask for more. (and the company has the right to say no too...)

100% in agreement with the choice of vehicle being way off though.

AAG

Established Member
She's mad because she didn't buy a reasonable/affordable car and bought a POS Mercedes? :nonono:

dom418

Established Member
Aren't these types of things negotiated prior to starting the job? Anyway, knowing the high cost of ownership of a mercedes and the fact that people in sales drive a ton of miles, it doesn't sound like the best car was chosen for the profession.

Your wife probably agreed to the terms of the reimbursment before buying the car so why is this her company's problem now?

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I used to have a company truck but about two years ago I was offered a $500/month lump sum check to cover maintenance/usage on a personal vehicle, and given a gas card to use. My wife and I went out and bought an 08 Dodge Ram 1500 which we really like.

Unfortunately, when the bottom fell out of the economy, the VP approached me and the others who were receiving the $500/month and said they weren't going to be giving that any longer, but we still use the gas cards. This was about a year and a half after we bought the truck. We were able to absorb the payment on the truck without it breaking our budget.

In these times, just be happy you're getting something at all. If you can't afford the upkeep on the Mercedes, trade it in or sell it and get something else.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
well, i showed her these responses and she seemed upset...not sure if its at me for pointing it out to her and being the bad guy that its the wrong car to have and or that she is getting hosed but she agreed to talk to them about it. all i know is this car isnt going to be worth crappola when its time to trade if we keep it.

Just for reference which Benz did she get? I was thinking a lease on a C300?

02reaper

Established Member
If she is going 2500 miles while on company time (not counting what she would normally have to drive to and from work) at $350 for compensation, she is getting about .14 cent a mile which is shitty. If she doesn't make a good salary to begin with, I would think that the company is using her and playing her for a fool.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
If she is going 2500 miles while on company time (not counting what she would normally have to drive to and from work) at $350 for compensation, she is getting about .14 cent a mile which is shitty. If she doesn't make a good salary to begin with, I would think that the company is using her and playing her for a fool.
How so? that 350 bucks a month is probably based on a car that is more economical that the mercedes. SHE CHOSE to spend it on a mercedes, ergo the fact that she is getting a theoretical .14 cents a mile is HER FAULT not the fault of the company. had she chose a more economical car she could be getting 50 or 60 cents a mile instead of .14

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
How so? that 350 bucks a month is probably based on a car that is more economical that the mercedes. SHE CHOSE to spend it on a mercedes, ergo the fact that she is getting a theoretical .14 cents a mile is HER FAULT not the fault of the company. had she chose a more economical car she could be getting 50 or 60 cents a mile instead of .14

Dude...Dividing dollars by miles driven has nothing to do with the economy of the car driven :lol1:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Dude...Dividing dollars by miles driven has nothing to do with the economy of the car driven :lol1:
actually it does ... if the company has a policy that says "an allowance of 350.00 a month is alloted to employees to compensate them for business use of their personal vehicles" and you go out and get a car that gets 12mpg your reimbursement rate is going to be less per mile than one that gets 40mpg. the money is going to be the same 350.00 but the basis per mile will be different.

Users who are viewing this thread