Picking the next new vehicle

Established Member
I have a 2003 explorer with 200k that I bought new. Has served me well, but I have to take long (2000) mile road trips to see customers about 5-6 times a year. I have been renting thru Costco, which has worked well, while I decide what to get next. Would need to be at least a hatchback, but preferably a crossover or SUV. Third row is awful nice sometimes hauling kids and their friends. Also haul a generator, chain saw, and misc. to my place in Indiana every time I go over there. Have considered new deeply discounted models like the VW Tiguan, or off lease or rentals, as I'm trying to stay in the 15-25k out of pocket range, or killer finance if out there. Just got back from a trip with a Camry 4 cyl, and the thing got 45 MPG. Not hybrid, but regular 4 door car. That got me thinking that I have been excluding vehicles because of rated MPG, when some might get a lot better in the real world. If I can clear 30MPG on the highway running 80ish, that would work. Lets hear the suggestions.

Last edited:

Established Member
Explorer mileage is crap. That's what I don't like about mine now. Edge ST is pretty pricy. I need utility and mileage. What I save in gas almost pays the rental cost right now, but its a hassle and it ties me to a specific day I have to be back home by.

roadracer247

Established Member
I’d stay away from VW. Never seen one without a bunch of problems. Even guys I work with who like them admit they do cost a few dollars to keep running.

If you want a cross-over SUV that gets decent mpg at freeway speeds, you should really buy something along the lines of a Honda CRV. Reliable and basically fits the bill.

Subaru also makes a lot of options that would fit some of your requirements. But I can’t speak to their reliability. I know they’re popular as hell around Tahoe. My in-laws love their Outback. My wife’s friend has a Forester XT, I believe.

They have a new SUV out too, the Ascent, but the price might be too high. Most of those other options probably don’t have a third row, but the Ascent definitely does. My best friend just bought one as his main family mobile. It’s a nice ride. They always seem to have it loaded with little booger eaters. It’d at least be worth looking into financing options.

Anyway, good luck.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
It doenst quell your need for a 3rd row but the Hyundai Elantra N-Line is on par with a VW GTI in terms of space, MPG, power and features while being under 25k OTD brand new. You also would get a 10yr/100k warranty on top of all that and it comes in a 6 speed manual or DCT transmission. It will also easily get 30+mpg during highway cruising and still has enough pep to be fun and sporty when needed.

If you need a 3rd row, i dont think youre going to get 30+mpg at any time. So its pick and choose whether you want MPG or the cargo space afforded by a 3rd row SUV. If i had to have a 3rd row SUV it would be a Tahoe with a 5.3. They are just bulletproof and look fantastic. They are also significantly larger than the equal Explorer or Grand Cherokee both inside and out. Id throw a Whipple on the 5.3L and enjoy 500+hp with that LS reliability.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
My father has a Hyundai Santa Fe with the 3rd row seating.
Pretty nice vehical for what you pay.

Established Member
I know the earlier focus had some issues. Wanting the biggest thing I can get I guess that will still get mileage on the highway and still haul stuff. I had pretty much resigned myself to something smaller until I got the huge real world mileage out of the Camry, vs what they post for government numbers. That's what got me curious what people were getting in the real world on the highway for some of the bigger options. The Santa Fe is on the look at list for sure.

Burko

Established Member
We own a 16 VW passat with 50k miles it’s needed nothing but oil changes and filters along with recent tires. Plenty of room with 37mpg 1.8T gas.

Also own a 18 VW atlas 2.0t w/3rd row it’s been a great car also 25-26mpg for the last 10k miles it’s on par with the cargo space of the new BMW X7s (I work at the manufacturing plant so I sit in the X models very often)

When we were looking the Tiguan was nice my wife just wanted something larger. The new 6 year/72k mile bumper to bumper is nice also and u can pick an SE model for around the 25k otd price or less if u watch the market definitely can find a slightly used 1 for that price

jrandy

Established Member
Honestly, I'd consider keeping the trips for the business on a rental car. If you do 6 of them a year, that's 12,000 miles alone in depreciation and maintenance expense.

I think you're coming out way ahead on the rental front. Even if you do dump the explorer for something else, I'd still consider the rental for the trips.

Established Member
If its just me and no hauling, I will still rent. That's a no brainer with rates right now. They cant be making any money off me.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
My wife drives a fully loaded 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0 Turbo. It has a bit over 145K and has been trouble free. It can pull 30+ on the highway.

For your price range, you should be able to find one that's fully loaded and a few years old. The sport does not have a 3rd row seat. The 2.0 Turbo has no trouble pulling hills and has good passing ability.

My daily driver is a 2013 Elantra Ltd with over 171K, and has been trouble free as well. I am very happy and impressed with our Hyundai's.

If you can find a one owner or off-lease car with a service history, I wouldn't have a concern for mileage.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Outback. It does everything well. AWD, a ton of space, peppy enough, nice interior, 32 mpg, holds its value like a mofo. Cough up for the 3.7 if you want the power although mileage is not that great with these.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I know the earlier focus had some issues. Wanting the biggest thing I can get I guess that will still get mileage on the highway and still haul stuff. I had pretty much resigned myself to something smaller until I got the huge real world mileage out of the Camry, vs what they post for government numbers. That's what got me curious what people were getting in the real world on the highway for some of the bigger options. The Santa Fe is on the look at list for sure.
If you're going to look at a Hyundai Santa Fe, look at the Kia Telluride (new), the Kia Niro (also new), Kia Sportage, and Kia Sorento. The Telluride is the biggest and starts at $31,690.
cautofoto2020-Kia-Telluride-rear-side-view-parked.jpg

MPG: Up to 20 city / 26 highway

2020-Kia-Telluride-in-dirt.jpg

2020-Kia-Telluride-Front-Cabin-Dashboard-and-More_o.jpg

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
My father has a Hyundai Santa Fe with the 3rd row seating.
Pretty nice vehical for what you pay.

My wife also has a Santa Fe. 2017 model we bought new in April of 2016 so right at 3 years old. Currently has 56K miles and averages 26mpg combined. 3 rows, big enough to haul people and our dogs, but not huge. Packed with a bunch of features you wouldn't expect for the price, heated/cooled seats, surround camera, adaptive cruise, adaptive HID's, etc. Zero issues so far.

Users who are viewing this thread