Pics of new Skylake build

6.0GTO

Established Member
Finished this build for a Norwegian Youtuber. It was built espeically for a gaming event in Norway called "The Gathering". Upwards of 5,000 participants. Maybe some of SVT's European posters have heard of it. It starts this Wednesday. It was not a 10/10ths build but should play QuadHD for her decently. Depending on the performance we may swap the R9 Fury X for the yet to be released AMD Pro Duo.
The only thing not pictured is the Razer Black Widow Chroma and Corsair mouse that was sent over with the PC.

IMG_1426_zpsthkef5yh.jpg

IMG_1429_zpsvriuutku.jpg

IMG_1439_zpskvtzbgtw.jpg

IMG_1448_zps7vgm4chj.jpg

IMG_1451_zpsi6448tse.jpg

IMG_1455_zpswpa45zqi.jpg

IMG_1456_zpskbqkzlar.jpg

IMG_1462_zpsfefewvyq.jpg

IMG_1469_zps76ufrjx3.jpg

Last edited:

KyleSVT

Terminated
Established Member
Very nice! man those redeon cards are small lol I need to upgrade my gtx670 to something better so I can buy a VR headset

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Lol, That's a Fury. Takes a shit on the Nvidia cards in the price range, and has HBM RAM. 4096bit bandwidth for 4K.
Probably shits itself too with shit drivers.

YouTuber has a big budget to get a $800 nvme card. Why settle for amd? I know I wouldnt.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
Probably shits itself too with shit drivers.

YouTuber has a big budget to get a $800 nvme card. Why settle for amd? I know I wouldnt.

Good for you, bro :beer:. I bet you've never owned a single AMD card, and are basing your rhetoric on fanboyism. I have a Radeon in my PC right now, and have never had any of the issues that you mentioned.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
I have crossfire 390's and yes the amd drivers are crap. Since crimson has released I've had to tinker with quite a few games I've owned to make them work. The worst one being fallout 4 being broken, fixed, and broken again. Crossfire has been poor since the game got the nvidia graphics patch. I like won't buy again unless they make massive improvements this year.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
Don't worry, Nvidia is having the same trouble with SLI. I don't think the problem is in the drivers, but the shoddy implementation of dual graphics optimization by game developers. Hence why I'll never go SLI or Crossfire. Waste of money due to lack of proper support.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Title got me all excited, but its a weird selection of parts IMO.

Thanks for sharing!

NorCal_03Cobra

SVTP Member
Established Member
Too much salt between Nvidia and AMD fanboys :bored:

I would argue that historically Nvidia has been the top in GPU game and I usually see more more Nvidia splash logos than AMD. I haven't played any super recent AAA titles, but on my SLI 780 setup I wasn't having any noticeable issues - except for OC temperatures, thus enter watercooling. I'm curious to know what issues exist with SLI that are so terrible...

The AMD hardware specs looks nice, but I am in agreement that AMDs drivers may not be on par with the optimization/base that Nvidia has built over the years... But then again, I have never used an AMD GPU so there isn't much validity in my opinion I guess.

Articles for R9 Fury X vs 980ti etc etc with numbers:
http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-tested-not-quite-a-980-ti-killer/
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti-vs-AMD-R9-Fury-X/3439vs3498
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-FURY-X-vs-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti

RE the hardware choices though... Isn't AMD GPU better paired with AMD CPU for various APIs etc etc?

6.0GTO

Established Member
Yes in DX11 The Fury card is going to get beat out much of the time in DX11 titles. AMD is getting things sorted out in the driver department. The new DX11 title, The Division, the Fury X and 980ti are basically tied with each taking wins depending on resolution. In DX12 games AMD's GCN architecture can take advantage of Asynchronous compute to utilize all of the cores in a CPU. It appears on a hardware level Maxwell is unable to use this new technology. Going forward in DX12 games AMD is likely to win out. The few DX12 games that have come out AMD is handily beating out Nvidia. In some cases the 390X is nipping at the heals of the 980ti. It is not clear yet that Nvidia made the necessary changes to the Pascal architecture to take advantage of DX12. Also with DX12 you won't need crossfire or SLI. You would even be able to mix an Nvidia card with an AMD in the same system. The game designers would have to implement this. FPS has been higher with this new multi-gpu technology than with crossfire or SLI

As far as Intel with and AMD GPU i'll mention this. Up till DX12 the CPU has less effect on FPS than the GPU and even with that when AMD shows GPU capabilities it is generally with an Intel CPU.

I am certainly not an expert at gaming setups. This is only the second one I have built so I am curious to what others consider a poor hardware choice. I don't play the Nvidia versus AMD game. Personally I have never bought a graphics card for my systems as I do not game. I am an Intel fan though as I worked with Ivy Bridge, Haswell and Broadwell at D1D in Oregon. I do wish AMD success with their upcoming Zen processors. I have the ability to prefer and like a brand without hating on everything else.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
Yes in DX11 The Fury card is going to get beat out much of the time in DX11 titles. AMD is getting things sorted out in the driver department. The new DX11 title, The Division, the Fury X and 980ti are basically tied with each taking wins depending on resolution. In DX12 games AMD's GCN architecture can take advantage of Asynchronous compute to utilize all of the cores in a CPU. It appears on a hardware level Maxwell is unable to use this new technology. Going forward in DX12 games AMD is likely to win out. The few DX12 games that have come out AMD is handily beating out Nvidia. In some cases the 390X is nipping at the heals of the 980ti. It is not clear yet that Nvidia made the necessary changes to the Pascal architecture to take advantage of DX12. Also with DX12 you won't need crossfire or SLI. You would even be able to mix an Nvidia card with an AMD in the same system. The game designers would have to implement this. FPS has been higher with this new multi-gpu technology than with crossfire or SLI

As far as Intel with and AMD GPU i'll mention this. Up till DX12 the CPU has less effect on FPS than the GPU and even with that when AMD shows GPU capabilities it is generally with an Intel CPU.

I am certainly not an expert at gaming setups. This is only the second one I have built so I am curious to what others consider a poor hardware choice. I don't play the Nvidia versus AMD game. Personally I have never bought a graphics card for my systems as I do not game. I am an Intel fan though as I worked with Ivy Bridge, Haswell and Broadwell at D1D in Oregon. I do wish AMD success with their upcoming Zen processors. I have the ability to prefer and like a brand without hating on everything else.
Your choices are fine. Could have maybe saved some money in the price per performance category with some other parts. I personally wouldn't buy a fury because of the 4gb memory. Some of the most demanding games right now require more than that. I must max graphics everything. Have a fire strike score? I got 15800 on a 2600k and crossfire 390's.

Last edited:

6.0GTO

Established Member
That may be the case with the 4gb. She is likely going to swap that out for the Pro Duo. DX12 allows cards memory to be added and not capped at the memory capacity of the lead card. When a Polaris card arrives worth getting that will be swapped in. She will only be keeping any one card until the next high card arrives. By the end of the year when the Broadwell Extreme processors come out she will start a build with a 2011-V3 and a Broawell 10 core. This current setup is very temporary.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looks like an impressive build. So it has to be shipped to Norway?

6.0GTO

Established Member
It already has been shipped and she has had it about a month. Shipping for it through my work makes it semi affordable. 3 day shipping, US to Norway was around $225. I will tell everyone that the coolant in the graphics card and CPU cooling does have a fair amount of anti freeze. The box got delivered and they did not know it was there. It spent the night outside. She said Oslo was -4F that night. Brought it inside and moisture started to condense on it. Waited a day for it to dry completely. It fired right up with no ill effects.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, they must have been a bit nervous about the moisture/condensation. Just curious about the build coming from the U.S. So I assume that finding someone in Norway to do a build like this is difficult or not possible?

6.0GTO

Established Member
Money was the reason mainly. Cost of items there and I still get deep discounts on intel items. A Fury X there, if you could even get one was the equivalent of just over $1000 I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread