Pics of the latest mod

68Stang

I got your Zoom Zoom
Established Member
Why is there so much glare? Typically, the HID conversions I've seen have a nice cutoff at the top of the lighted area, such as:

HID_1.JPG

68Stang

I got your Zoom Zoom
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
The bulb has nothing to do with how the light is distributed. That's all in the headlight.

Yeah, you need projector lenses, which you state you have. Maybe its just because you're parked ontop of the garage door? :shrug:

I'm no lighting expert though. My friend did the conversion on his beater Prelude and got the nice little cutoff. Maybe they just have a better housing.

Last edited:

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
The bulb has nothing to do with how the light is distributed. That's all in the headlight.

This is incorrect. BOTH the bulb and the reflector/projector shape the light pattern. The reason there is glare, even tho he has projectors, is because those projectors were not designed for xenon lighting. The H3 bulb conversion may have changed the bulb depth location inside the projector. Once again these parts were not designed to work together and you have a poor beam pattern.

The best way to do a HID conversion is to retrofit bixenon HID projectors from a Mercedes or BMW into a Mustang housing. You will then be using D2S bulbs...
The beam pattern and cutoff will be perfect. You will also have HID high beams.

The cost of such a conversion is about $500 in parts (not including mustang housings) and then there is the labor involved in installing them in a pair of housings. I have done this with a 99 Accord using Porsche projectors. My Mustang is next.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
It is true that the HID bulb is longer than the standard H3 halogen bulb. I wondered why it changed my pattern slightly with the HIDs.

I may try modifying the housing to move the bulb out somewhat. With the H3 setup it would only take a spacer because the bulb is only secured with a clip, it's not a rotate to lock type light. Do you think this would change anything?

Not that I'm not happy with the lights now but with the HIDs the pattern became more light a flashlight, with most of the light shining straight ahead instead of all around.

four o two

Some ricer...
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Wrong-o. Looks to me like you're using a halogen projector with an HID bulb. Halogen projectors have completely different lense and bowl designs, and are not designed for HID, hence your hellacious glare.

I've done it in one HID thread, so I guess I'll do it here and reiterate that kits are complete crap quality. Off brand electronics, rebased offbrand bulbs. No thanks.

I'd recommend going with OEM equipment and buying a set of real projectors to retrofit into your current housings.

Also, 4100/4300K produces the most lumens. You guys are kidding yourselves if you think 8000K+ is putting usable light onto the road. :rolleyes: I retrofitted some ECE Valeos into my stock Prelude housings, used Phillips D2S bulbs and Phillips LVQ212-L300 ballasts (all which is the same equipment found in OEM cars like BMW, Merc, Audi, etc)

Those who know, retrofit.

beam_01.jpg

beam_02.jpg

both_finished_bezels_shrouds.jpg

Jettsaleen281

UT at Austin
Established Member
You should prolly get some real projectors that support the HID's to make the glare go away. How do you like those headlights? I've been thinking of getting a set.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
four o two said:
Wrong-o. Looks to me like you're using a halogen projector with an HID bulb. Halogen projectors have completely different lense and bowl designs, and are not designed for HID, hence your hellacious glare.

I've done it in one HID thread, so I guess I'll do it here and reiterate that kits are complete crap quality. Off brand electronics, rebased offbrand bulbs. No thanks.

I'd recommend going with OEM equipment and buying a set of real projectors to retrofit into your current housings.

Also, 4100/4300K produces the most lumens. You guys are kidding yourselves if you think 8000K+ is putting usable light onto the road. :rolleyes: I retrofitted some ECE Valeos into my stock Prelude housings, used Phillips D2S bulbs and Phillips LVQ212-L300 ballasts (all which is the same equipment found in OEM cars like BMW, Merc, Audi, etc)

Those who know, retrofit.

The glare is not noticeable from other cars or if your not in the path of the beam. But the beam pattern is poor compared to a true hid projector.

I am going to be installing a true hid projector mounted in stock housings sometime. I wasn't aware this was the way to go before doing it or I would have went that route. I thought a projector was a projector.

But the 8000k bulb works very well. It puts out a ton more light than any halogen. I know it's not as bright as a 4300k but it's still a huge leap forward. I will be switching to a 4300k bulb when I change the headlights though.

Where could I purchase a HID projector? I wonder if I could swap a set into the projector headlights I have now. Remove the halogen projector and install the HID.

But thanks for the advice:thumbsup:

Jettsaleen: I really like the headlights. They are unique and very classy looking imo. They are also well made, I haven't had any leaking problems or anything else. But they aren't for HIDs:-D

four o two

Some ricer...
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
The glare is not noticeable from other cars or if your not in the path of the beam. But the beam pattern is poor compared to a true hid projector.

I am going to be installing a true hid projector mounted in stock housings sometime. I wasn't aware this was the way to go before doing it or I would have went that route. I thought a projector was a projector.

But the 8000k bulb works very well. It puts out a ton more light than any halogen. I know it's not as bright as a 4300k but it's still a huge leap forward. I will be switching to a 4300k bulb when I change the headlights though.

Where could I purchase a HID projector? I wonder if I could swap a set into the projector headlights I have now. Remove the halogen projector and install the HID.

But thanks for the advice:thumbsup:

Jettsaleen: I really like the headlights. They are unique and very classy looking imo. They are also well made, I haven't had any leaking problems or anything else. But they aren't for HIDs:-D
There are plenty of places you can find projectors, but the best place is hidplanet.com

Users who are viewing this thread