Pleasure of beating an

Status
Not open for further replies.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
SS convertible the other night! It was a brand new 2001 according to the gentleman driving it. A mildy nice guy who didn't look down his nose too badly at my lowly, un modded 2001GT. He had made a couple of passes earlier in the evening and ran consisten 9.10's. You could hear the guy snatching the hell out of second , so you know he was pushing hard. I followed him down the hill and got the left lane to his right. I took him off the tree and never looked back.
I ran a 9.10 @ 79.8 MPH to his 9.14 @80.1
To my dismay this was done WITH my traction control on! That hurt me just a bit. Explaining the MPH being lower, but the time being quicker. This was also done with less than 300 miles on the ticker. I pitty the GM guys around here when the modding begins. :D A whole new car, same old asswhippings!

Was somebody claiming 12.90's in a stock LS1? I don't see it in stock form.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Outstanding!

What would your times relate to the quarter?

P.S. MM&FF got a stock '01 SS coupe to run 12.96 @ 107.43 in "lousy air with a near-full tank of gas" (Nov. '01 issue in the Bullitt article), but WHO CARES, they can have those plasticky, rattletrap POSs. I guarantee that your GT has better fit/finish/build than anything GM puts out, and that includes the 'vette. :rolling:

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Re: Outstanding!

Originally posted by Blue98Cobra

P.S. MM&FF got a stock '01 SS coupe to run 12.96 @ 107.43 in "lousy air with a near-full tank of gas" (Nov. '01 issue in the Bullitt article), but WHO CARES, they can have those plasticky, rattletrap POSs. I guarantee that your GT has better fit/finish/build than anything GM puts out, and that includes the 'vette. :rolling:

Ill second that Fit and finish on gm's suck big monkey cheese:D :D

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Re: Outstanding!

Originally posted by Blue98Cobra

Amen Jimbo, they can keep 'em. It's a damn ugly car too, at least compared to ours.

I run the 1/8 where I'm at, and 9.10 for an SS is slow, maybe the guy just can't drive for shit. i ran a 8.79 @80.5 best in my '99(with just welded in flows, k&n drop-in, and a pro 5.0 shifter, this was before the 4.10's), which as I have said before didn't feel as strong as my '01. I won't have the new one at the track this year, but it was hard for me not to run in the 8's, and I can't see an SS, even bone stock, running slower than 8.6 or so. STOCK Z28's run at least 8.7 or 8.8's. Maybe someone sold him an SS clone, without the SS motor. That would be funny as hell.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Fact #1
It was a 2001 SS right down to the SLP center exit exhaust. Like it matters very much as far as motor goes anyway. Both sport the same LS1 with Z06 intakes in 2001. Minor difference in the ram-air setup. That is only effective in higher mph airstreams.
Fact#2
MM&FF got the first LS1 they "borrowed" from their sister publication ,GM Hightech, to run that magic number back in 98 when the LS1 didn't have the LS6 intakes. Now the 98 car had less power but duplicate numbers? 30HP difference is going to make a difference, atleast in MPH! The 30 HP difference is a direct quote from Pontiac High Performance.
Fact#3
I now have 3 LS1 kills in the 1/8th. I doubt I could hold them off in the 1/4th due to the slightly higher MPH for the LS1. MPH is an indication of HP. Then again I'm only a GT now!
Fact#4
Motor Trend, Car & Driver, and Pontiac High Performance all have run COMPLETELY stock cars and never once came close to the magic 12.90's Pontiac High Performance had several guys that were bracket racing their LS1's at Atco NJ. Most only had minor mods (lid & cutout etc.) Some had NO MODS! NONE beat a 13.20. For the MINOR mods they had done that was a good time though. Pontiac High Performance also had a FIREHAWK for a project car. The best it ran in as bought condition was 13.60's! The FIREHAWK is SLP tuned by Lingenfelter! Better Ram-air,better exhaust, more aggressive computer and a few other minor things. Point being is that the higher HP FIREHAWK didn't achieve that number either.
Fact#5
To run 12.9525 you would have to run a 8.25 at a minimum! The equation is your 1/8th time multiplied by 1.57 equals your 1/4th time. (8.25x1.57=12.9525) Your mph would also have to be 86 or better in the 1/8th.
Fact#6
Given the above equation my car should run 14.10-14.20
9.08x1.57=14.25
Mind you there is room for improvement! View the attached timeslip and notice the 60 ft. times

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by sohowcome
WOW@fishy you have a lot of time on your hands

LOL! That really hurts coming from Captain
ss_prod7.gif

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Correctioon to the above equation. The multiplying factor should be 1.55

Therefore 8.39 x 1.55 = 13.004

So for any car to run a 12.99 it would have to run better than an 8.39 in the 1/8th.

Mike's 13.93 run was used to correct my error.
13.93 / 1.55 = 8.987

My car's number should be these now.

9.08 x 1.55 = 14.074

This is even figured with the sorry 2.22 sixty foot time.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
Correctioon to the above equation. The multiplying factor should be 1.55

Therefore 8.39 x 1.55 = 13.004

So for any car to run a 12.99 it would have to run better than an 8.39 in the 1/8th.

Mike's 13.93 run was used to correct my error.
13.93 / 1.55 = 8.987

My car's number should be these now.

9.08 x 1.55 = 14.074

This is even figured with the sorry 2.22 sixty foot time.

WOW 2.22 kinda good considering you dont have any legs..........

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by sohowcome

WOW 2.22 kinda good considering you dont have any legs..........

*Flipper smacks Zach.

Don't you know all you gotta do is point me in the right direction of the finish line? It wouldn't matter if I had no legs,eyes,or sense of hearing! I'm getting there in a hurry no matter what.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by GR8WHITE

*Flipper smacks Zach.

Don't you know all you gotta do is point me in the right direction of the finish line? It wouldn't matter if I had no legs,eyes,or sense of hearing! I'm getting there in a hurry no matter what.

hehehehehehehehh DOH!!

KINGPIN

Established Member
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You ran into a slow DRIVER, not a slow SS. The 2000 and newer LS1's are consistently putting down 300-320+ rear wheel horsepower. I'm not familiar with what the new GT's are dynoing at. Good kill but don't expect the same result with a well-driven LS1. My SS is by no means blindingly fast. In lousy Phoenix heat I ran a 13.8 at 106mph with a 2.4 60ft with the traction control on. That was bone stock on street tires. I did not have a chance to take it back to the track after a year's worth of mods. As far as the magical 12.9's that GM High Tech ran with the SS, it was MM&FF's own Evan Smith that pulled that time. I have the article at home but I think his best time in the Bullit was a high 13. He even ran a low 13 second slip in a bone stock 2001 Cobra earlier in the year. Nobody seems to be disputing that? Also, the SLP firehawk has nothing to do with Lingenfelter. It is all SLP. It puts down the same HP/TP as an SLP optioned SS. Some say it's a little faster in the upper MPH because of a straighter shot with the ram air. I do have to agree with you guys though on the plastic crappy interior of the F-bodies.
Jeff

KINGPIN

Established Member
Hey Zach, I had pretty much all of the bolt-ons for the SS. In decent weather with my lame ass driving it was probably a mid to high 12 second car. Since buying the Lightning, I've decided to sell the SS. I've already stripped off all of the parts and had a fire sale at LS1.com. Once I sell the SS I'll start modding the L.
Jeff

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Hey Rookie!

SLP was started by Lingenfelter. Check any SLP Firehawk for clarification on this.

I've seen the MM&FF mag. I've also seen the identical numbers from the 98 Z they tested back in early 98. The car didn't have the LS6 (ZO6) intakes like the 2001 & up F-bods do.

Pontiac High Performance took several bracket racers to Englishtown NJ. NONE of them made the magical 12.90 number. Most of them were very mildly modded (whisperlid & cut-out) Most ran 13.40's - 13.20's. Still good numbers for the minor mods they had, but clearly not the magic 12.90's. Let's just face it. GM Hightech (sister publication to MM&FF) suckerd Evan Smith with an LS6 powered SS. There is almost no way to tell the motors apart. GM did what they and Ford used to do ALOT back in the days. They sent a ringer. Car & Driver or MotorTrend thought that is what Ford had done when they got their first 2001 Cobra. They were soooo sceptical that they even went to a local Ford dealer and "aquired" a convertible 2001 to compare to the coupe Ford had sent them. The dyno numbers were identical.
Yet I digress. Magazines will always be an issue of debate. That is why I enjoy going to the track and proving my point. I never said I was unbeatable, just that I am now the "lowly GT" and these guys aren't impressing me. I've seen countless 13.80's in stock trim. I've seen even more 9.0's - 9.20's in the 1/8th in stock trim. You can't say all these guys can't drive. The law of averages quells that theory. I've got the GM Hightech shootout in Rockingham NC on tape fpr your view pleasure. Winner of the event was a lady driving a mildly modded T/A. She ran a 13.63 on a 13.60 dial in. These people were bracket racing so I doubt the drag radials and dial in process left much room for error. It was in the warm part of the year here in NC so you can subtract 1-2 tenths for the weather. Any time you get over to CamaroZ28 just ask RocketZ how disappointed he was with his 98Z when he started. Remember the 98's were supposed to go 12.90's stock according to GM Lietech. Mike & I have already been through the GM camp so there really aren't any super secret tricks. I'm not unfamiliar with the LS1. Granted I am not a LS1 tech, but I have several guys I go to the track with AND compete with that drive them. We all are honest with eachother about our mods so we can guage how they help us. However, we still go after one another in typical rivalry.

You're right NOONE doubts the 2001 & up Cobras will go 13.50's driven hard. I also don't doubt the LS1's are capable of the same thing under same circumstances. Which from your times you've given is about where you should be when you get traction down. The LS1's and Cobras like the 1/4th better and where I get passed is after the 1/8th. So NO it isn't the driver causing the mighty LS1 to lose. I just pick my battles smartly. The 2001 & up GT is no slouch as you must now concede.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread