PO175 System too rich (b2)

DrGT500

Chronic Bad Attitude
Established Member
Any of you guys, especially with mail-order tunes, run into this?

Backstory: Been running Justin's (VMPtuning.com) Stage II package for about a month-ish. FRPP CAI, 2.65" pulley, 90mm idler and tune with no problems. Car feels great, has run fine, etc.

So, last night I'm on the way home from my martial arts training workout and I get a check engine light. Get home, break out the SCT X3, scan it and I get the PO175 System too rich (b2) DTC. I understand that means she was/is running rich, bank 2.

I e-mailed Justin this morning since it's his tune, etc and I'm sure he'll get back to me. In the mean time, I'm just wondering if any of you guys have run into this and what you had to do to correct it. I know Justin can fix it in the tune, but he's obviously going to need some kinda info to go off of, I'm just not sure what that is other than the obvious Dyno Runfile. I don't have handy local access to a dyno. I mean, if I did, I would've just had her dyno tuned in the first place.

Anyway, thanks for any insight.
DocGT

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
I "think" they send em all a little rich. So we don't blow our shit up. I got a mail order tune from another reputable shop and it was WAY rich. It made a cool smoke screen though. Justin may want you to datalog your car. It's easy enough, but it would really help if you had a wideband air/fuel gauge. Considering that is were your problem is. It is a little weird that it just happened all of the sudden. I always have problems like this. I'm about to order my 4th tune for a simple stage 2 set up. This time I'm gonna try Jon Lund.

1st tune= pinging! Their only fix was 10.5/1 air fuel

2nd tune= if I rev in neutral it goes straight to rev limiter and stays there until I engage a gear. Tuner has been unable to resolve.

3rd tune= Tuner won't give me more than something like 16-17 degress timing. Says that's all the GT500 can handle. and WILL NOT add more.

4th tune= dear lord cross your fingers for me. If I gotta tell the Mrs. that I'm buying another tune (she calls it buying air) I'm dead.

Sorry I got off topic. My suggestion would be to buy and install a wideband and datalog the car with that. Justin could give you a list of the parameters to select in the SCT software. Good luck.

Last edited:

DrGT500

Chronic Bad Attitude
Established Member
Thanks for the reply, I wasn't sure if I could datalog what Justin would need with the SCT X3. I've e-mailed him and I"m just waiting for a reply.

Though I would've rather seen NO code at all, lol I have to say that I was glad to see "too rich" as opposed to "too lean". I mean, "too lean" and things go "boom". (the way I drive anyway hehehe) "Too rich" I can live with till we get it resolved.

Though I did clear the DTC just to see if it would come back since I have driven probably between 500-750 miles with the tune and this is the first time the CEL has popped on?! :shrug:

We'll See,
DocGT

DrGT500

Chronic Bad Attitude
Established Member
Update: So Justin e-mails me back this afternoon and asked/stated, it did it when it was idling right? (I'm paraphrasing, but anyway...lol) Yep.

I never spend any signifigant time idling, but that night after working out I had started the car, then sat in the parking lot for about 15 minutes talking to a friend of mine. Hey, she wanted to see the car, who am I to deny her... besides, she's hot. lol It was when I went to drive away I noted the CEL was illuminated.

I have no idea how Justin knew what the conditions were, I suppose the man just knows his tunes. :shrug: :lol:

Anyway, within a few minutes he'd e-mailed me a new tune which he said would resolve the issue. Although, after I cleared the CEL with my tuner (SCT X3) it has not returned.

Unfortunately, I haven't flashed the tune into the GT500 quite yet because I still haven't loaded the new tune file into my tuner. Why not you ask? Well I found that the SCT X3 update software will NOT install on a PC running the 64 bit version of Vista. And, lucky me, I have not one.. not two... but THREE PC's at home, two desktops and a laptop. Care to guess what OS they ALL run? :bash: Jeeze.

Anyway, for now I'm going to have to use a WinXP SP2 pc from my office to load Justin's new tune into my X3 then I'll upload the new tune into the GT500. I am gonna wait a few days though, just to see if the CEL comes on again without me sitting around idling like I did that one time. Guess we'll see.

DocGT

rlhay2

Established Member
Justin @ VMP is good people!!

Using emailed data-logs, he tweaked my tune to damn near spot on! He was also gracious enough, to send the tune file to Quantum, so that the last few changes could be tuned locally.

DrGT500

Chronic Bad Attitude
Established Member
He's definitely been a class act when I've had to deal with him. Knows his way around the GT500 pcm pretty damn good too! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread