Pointers on 315 Nittos? 2nd time at the track.

ProjectVenom

Established Member
Hey guys, I just bought a set of 315's Drag Radial Nittos. I took it down to the track not too long ago, and my best 60ft was a 1.90 ish and 8.0 at 91mph 1/8 mile. My best on street tires was a hair away from a 1.90 60ft? I'm very new to the racing scene, just wondering if anybody has some pointer on how to get these things to hook? and what's the best possible time I can do with these tires? running an 8.0 the 1/8 mile, what am I seeing at the 1/4 mile? Thanks guys! :beer:

Mod's on my Cobra at that time, were 2.8 pulley with Borla Stingers only, and LFP intercooler. everything else is stock... nothing else... I just installed a JLT ramn air and it's wonderful! :rockon:

below is the 8.0 run. Im at the left racing a full bolt-on whipple cobra who ran a 7.2 ish at 100+... im at the second run... not first.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9munK4DOSc"]YouTube - FRAAAANKY[/ame]

IMG_0281.jpg

Last edited:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXRFlj77DIA"]YouTube - AKRP 1040[/ame]

This is a textbook 17" DR launch...1.64 60ft. I left at about 1800rpm if I recall, slip/roll into throttle

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
The Nitto Drag Radial is not the best hooking drag radial. Mine always seemed to hook better on the wet streets than at the track. I tried lower air pressure, bigger burnouts, smaller burnouts and nothing seemed to ever help them to hook better. The best I ever saw on my old set was around 1.8 and there are plenty of people that like them but the Mickey Thompsons and BFG Drag Radials are much better. I am still waiting to hear more feedback on the TOYO TQ's.

ProjectVenom

Established Member
The Nitto Drag Radial is not the best hooking drag radial. Mine always seemed to hook better on the wet streets than at the track. I tried lower air pressure, bigger burnouts, smaller burnouts and nothing seemed to ever help them to hook better. The best I ever saw on my old set was around 1.8 and there are plenty of people that like them but the Mickey Thompsons and BFG Drag Radials are much better. I am still waiting to hear more feedback on the TOYO TQ's.

I've been hearing the same thing from other owner... Mickeys are they way to go, so I hear. I ran like three time that night... and lowered my tire pressure at 15psi.. and did some decent burn outs... but nothing better.. it's more than likely me :(

mrbigjeep

Established Member
slip the clutch out...

find the best rpm to launch...if it bogs launch higher,if it spins launch lower. roll into the gas and give it more or less throttle pending spinning or bogging...and slip the clutch as u roll into the throttle

ProjectVenom

Established Member
slip the clutch out...

find the best rpm to launch...if it bogs launch higher,if it spins launch lower. roll into the gas and give it more or less throttle pending spinning or bogging...and slip the clutch as u roll into the throttle

Will do :) I don't recall at what RPM I was leaving but, it was something around 2500 or so... but I definitely pay a lot more attention... I believe there was a little bit of bogging that one time... so Ill try a little more throttle...

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
the best ive cut on my nittos is a 1.85 and i dont think im gonna get much better than that i would say get some sticky mickeys

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
On a fresh set of nitto's and decent track I could go low 1.7's all day occasions high 1.6's

Mystic03

Established Member
+1 on mickeys...nitto's suck, good for the street not the track.

+2 MT ET streets are where its at as for the nittos im going today first time in 3 months and going with the new pullie so hopfully low 12's but trick with nittos is to get them HOT hold a nice 3-6sec burnout and they hook ok

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
ive done 1.64 60 foot on 315 nittos. Im going to the track tonite but im not going to try and 60 that hard again, i dont want to break anything.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
hey guys, i have the mickeys on my car and they seem to give me alot of problems on the street, especially roll races, it feels as though the tires are all over the road on the top end and they clump up. its seems as though the tires are balling up on themselves and not allowing for traction...does anybody have this problem???

mrbigjeep

Established Member
once you get the sixty foot down and are in the sevens it would probably equal out to somewhere around high 11's or low twelves like a twelve flat

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
slip the clutch out...

+1 Ive been 1.7s on 275 nitto drs at about 14 psi and a good 8-10 second burnout with the irs. I went a few times after my sra and 315s and couldnt hook, i just bought another set of 275s but i havent been back to the track yet. Practice makes perfeecccttttt!

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
hey guys, i have the mickeys on my car and they seem to give me alot of problems on the street, especially roll races, it feels as though the tires are all over the road on the top end and they clump up. its seems as though the tires are balling up on themselves and not allowing for traction...does anybody have this problem???

What I did was switch the tires around, if you notice the rubber starts grinding/balling away one direction so I switched them for a big race and it worked good. That arrow then is backwards but I only drove it on dry conditions anyway. M/t are stable compared to hoosier d/r, they are almost like slicks in wobble. I usually on the street ran around 18# on the m/t for a race, then aired them back up to around 23/24 or hiway 26/28. 275/17 on the m/ts. 315/17 on the hoosiers.

Users who are viewing this thread