"Polished" my rear brake calipers

sonicmach1

Established Member
I planned on ceramic painting my rear calipers black (with the G2 paint kit) to match my front Brembos. (Unfortunately, my local powder coating shop is out of business so I cannot get them powder coated like I wanted to).

So I started to prep by cleaning the calipers. I washed them, used brake cleaner, then I decided to scuff them up a bit to remove the remaining finish. I am now thinking I may leave them like this for a while. However I have a feeling I will be taking them off tomorrow to make them black!

Before
Rear_Caliper_Polish_Before3_3252011.jpg

Rear_Caliper_Polish_Before4_3252011.jpg

After
Rear_Caliper_Polish_After6_3252011.jpg

Rear_Caliper_Polish_After3_3252011.jpg

wudy

Established Member
They look good. They wont after a few miles. Paint em now while their nice and clean. Im currently waiting for my G2 kit to come so I can do the same. Post pics if you do paint them.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
The G2 stuff is pretty nice. Did my rear calipers in silver last year. Here's an old pic with the previous brakes, springs, etc.:

P1010961.gif

Now that my IRS is out, I picked up another kit to re-coat them and do the brackets completely (left them mounted the first time, so missed some spots). Am also going to use the extra silver to coat the rusty axle shafts.

The silver matches these nicely:

P1020022.jpg

sonicmach1

Established Member
Done deal...they are now gloss black. Once they cure, I will post some pics.

The G2 was a good kit. The paint worked well and seemed to bond well even when first applied. I have used a Duplicolor kit in the past and its paint was not as robust.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Looks great,
OP, when you used 2 coats of the G2 Black stuff was there any left?
Trying to figure out if I have enough to do all 4, probably not,,,,

sonicmach1

Established Member
Looks great,
OP, when you used 2 coats of the G2 Black stuff was there any left?
Trying to figure out if I have enough to do all 4, probably not,,,,

The instructions say you can get 2 coats (or three) on four calipers. I did not use that much paint for my two coats on the rears - perhaps a 1/3 of the total. The rears are small calipers though.

You only have 4-6 hours of working time with the paint since it has a reactor chemical in it (like and epoxy mix) such that the paint will harden no matter what you do to cap it within that time. So you may have to work quickly for four calipers.

Last edited:

HwyKng

Street Beast...
Established Member
Where did you get your frt Brembo setup. I have been wanting a set for couple years now. Just waiting for the best price.

sonicmach1

Established Member
Where did you get your frt Brembo setup. I have been wanting a set for couple years now. Just waiting for the best price.

Those are a special Brembo monoblock caliper offering from Venom Technologies in MI. SN95 Mustang: F14-Stage II Front Brake Package_Vintage Venom

The hardware is now 100% ARP which is a nice bonus. They about put the Cobra on its nose with no fade. :thumbsup:

Done
VenomBrakes_Pass_6022010.jpg

Stock PBR Brakes for comparison
Stock_PBR_Brakes_6022010.jpg

Rotor Compare
Venom14_PBR13_Rotors1_6022010.jpg

Caliper Compare
VenomBrakes_PBR_All_6022010.jpg

Caliper Compare
Venom_PBR_Calipers_6022010.jpg

Venom Kit ARP Hardware
VenomBrake_Hardware1_6022010.jpg

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member

Just as an FYI, that Vintage Venom kit, as incredibly nice as it is, REQUIRES 18" wheels. If you don't have them already, be prepared to spend even more money, whereas the M-2300-X kit is a done deal if you have the OEM 17's.

sonicmach1

Established Member
Just as an FYI, that Vintage Venom kit, as incredibly nice as it is, REQUIRES 18" wheels. If you don't have them already, be prepared to spend even more money, whereas the M-2300-X kit is a done deal if you have the OEM 17's.

True!

Users who are viewing this thread