pondering the 5 lug conversion, and selling what i have???

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
well i've been tossing around the conversion idea for a while. I had decided against it in the past due to the fact that i own 2.5 sets of 4 lug wheels and tires. Now i've been trying to figure out how this would balance out. I have 1 complete set of origional 1993 cobra wheels. 2 are mounted with less than 1000 miles Falken tires. the other 2 have no tires. I also have 2 1993 cobra repro's that have brand new just put on mickey thompson ET Radials. How much could i get selling all that stuff? Now i also have a set of nice 15x8" weld draglites with new hoosiers drag slicks 26x10 and skinnies up front with tires on em that i'd also need to sell. My current ideas are as follows: convert to 5 lug, and buy Greg Weld wheels and tires. 2 rear sets, one for DR's and one for Slicks. Then a front set that i'm not sure if i want to go skinnies or just normal width with street tires. I have also pondered the idea of going with 10th anniversary wheels because i think they are awesome looking. Now I was wondering is there anywhere i can find a complete write up on someone converting their cobra to 5 lug? i've seen a lot of threads that are fragmented with peoples personal questions but not yet found a complete write up. Obviously i'm wanting a stout rear end still. i'd have to sell my moser 93 cobra axles for some other heavy duty 5 lug axles as well. I will continue searching the forum for more answers, hopefully some of you guys who have already posted about this chime in. I'm trying to figure out about how much it will cost me over all after selling what i have, and swapping to what i need. Thanks a lot guys. :bowdown:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
There's really nothing to it. Going 5 lug on these cars is a simple process and it a matter of bolting on some parts. It can literally be done in a night from start to finish using all SN stuff.

I have some brand new Ford Racing 31 spline "SN" axles if you go that route.

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
well let me ask you this, what is the best route to go? should i keep my brakes on my car? should i upgrade? if i do upgrade what does that entail? is there anywhere i can find a parts list of everything i need to buy to make this process happen? I know this thread is beating the 5 lug dead horse since there are a bunch of threads, i'm just trying to get the ball rolling, and with any luck have a helper for advice.

runin1320

sTaNGs OwNs JoO!
Established Member
Pretty much has all you need to know. Again, very easy swap.

http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/~mjbobbitt/mustang/5lug.html

Few things to remember;
1. Most rims require FOX length axles(wider than 8").
2. If you are going to use SN95 rims, get your axles with the SN95 flange.
3. Go for the SN95 Spindle/Hub swap in the front. (get the '94-'95 spindles)
4. If you go the SN95 route...don't forget about the need for a spacer on the ball joint w/ stock FOX joints.

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0031-4.jpg

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
thanks! i am looking to go wider than 8 in the rear for sure, up front it doesn't matter to me, but i would like the option if needed. I would like to convert the front to the 94/95 setup, and the rear i would like to keep standard fox length axles so i can run a wider tire. now where is the best place to buy all this stuff :)

CobraBen98

GO SPURS GO!
Established Member
I don't know what spline rear you have, but if it's still 28 spline, I have some axles that came out of a 96 cobra I had before. The only reason I took them out was to go to 31 spline, so they are in perfect shape.

runin1320

sTaNGs OwNs JoO!
Established Member
thanks! i am looking to go wider than 8 in the rear for sure, up front it doesn't matter to me, but i would like the option if needed. I would like to convert the front to the 94/95 setup, and the rear i would like to keep standard fox length axles so i can run a wider tire. now where is the best place to buy all this stuff :)

I ended up buying mine from various places. Shop around, especially on calipers. You will need the North Race Cars brackets for FOX length axles.

brackets.jpg

Last edited:

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
mine was easy. sn95(95 cobra) rotors, calipers, pads, MM SS lines, spindles. rear: complete rear end from 96 cobra(was hung over bad when my friend and I swapped it-i slept under the rear of the car most of the install)

87vertgt

Da Bears!
Established Member
I did the swap twice...forgot the brake lines twice...had to wait 4 days for em....and dont forget the washers that go on the balljoints...

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
Runin1320, your brackets look a lot nicer than the other picture... what brackets are those? I found a front swap, for 250. This includes spindles w/plates, calipers, rotors, hoses, hose brackets, and the machined spacers. Now will i need a bump steer kit or anything to get this thing back in alignment after i'm done? As for the rear all i will need is just those north racecar brackets, and to buy a set of 5 lug axles that are stock fox length? Any ideas where i could find a used set of moser 5 lug fox length? I'm going to have a 31 spline set of 93 cobra axles for sale when i'm done.

runin1320

sTaNGs OwNs JoO!
Established Member
Runin1320, your brackets look a lot nicer than the other picture... what brackets are those? I found a front swap, for 250. This includes spindles w/plates, calipers, rotors, hoses, hose brackets, and the machined spacers. Now will i need a bump steer kit or anything to get this thing back in alignment after i'm done? As for the rear all i will need is just those north racecar brackets, and to buy a set of 5 lug axles that are stock fox length? Any ideas where i could find a used set of moser 5 lug fox length? I'm going to have a 31 spline set of 93 cobra axles for sale when i'm done.

The difference is the the "nicer" looking ones are the FMS brackets that are for SN95 length axles. The other ones are the North Race Cars brackets for FOX length axles. Just needed some paint is all. :beer:

I have both swaps for the rear....

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
The difference is the the "nicer" looking ones are the FMS brackets that are for SN95 length axles. The other ones are the North Race Cars brackets for FOX length axles. Just needed some paint is all. :beer:

I have both swaps for the rear....

Ahhh... i see said the blind man. I really like the way your car turned out, very nice. do i need to change any of the rear brakes? or can i still use my factory stuff correct?

runin1320

sTaNGs OwNs JoO!
Established Member
Ahhh... i see said the blind man. I really like the way your car turned out, very nice. do i need to change any of the rear brakes? or can i still use my factory stuff correct?

Are you wanting to go with disc brakes in the rear? If not, just get a set of FOX length axles and a set of ranger rear drums. Would work fine. If you stick with drums, no need for the brackets.

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
$250 + $90 for shipping for spindles w/backing plates,calipers,rotors,hoses,hose brackets, and balljoint spacers. Is this a good deal? I really have no idea pricing for this stuff. Here's a picture. this setup is for 15" wheels?

Sn95spindles200031.gif

runin1320

sTaNGs OwNs JoO!
Established Member
I already have disk brakes on my 93 cobra. I was planning on just using what i have?

OIC..then yes, you will have to use revised brackets.

$250 + $90 for shipping for spindles w/backing plates,calipers,rotors,hoses,hose brackets, and balljoint spacers. Is this a good deal? I really have no idea pricing for this stuff. Here's a picture. this setup is for 15" wheels?

Sn95spindles200031.gif

Not a great deal, maybe fair. I think you could do better. :beer:

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
Yeah I didn't figure.... How do i do this and keep my origional rear disk brakes on my 93 cobra? If i buy those North Racecar brackets don't i have to use a 94+ brake setup in the rear? I wanted to Run a foxbody length axle, and keep my factory rear disk brakes. Can I do that?

Users who are viewing this thread