pondering the 5 lug conversion, and selling what i have???

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Yeah I didn't figure.... How do i do this and keep my origional rear disk brakes on my 93 cobra? If i buy those North Racecar brackets don't i have to use a 94+ brake setup in the rear? I wanted to Run a foxbody length axle, and keep my factory rear disk brakes. Can I do that?
I'm not aware of any 93 Cobra sized rear disc's that are in five lug. Unless you can find someone to redrill them your originals. I would just spring for the 94-up Cobra rear discs brakes, 11.65" diameter compared to 10" dia.

runin1320

sTaNGs OwNs JoO!
Established Member
Yeah I didn't figure.... How do i do this and keep my origional rear disk brakes on my 93 cobra? If i buy those North Racecar brackets don't i have to use a 94+ brake setup in the rear? I wanted to Run a foxbody length axle, and keep my factory rear disk brakes. Can I do that?

Some people have drilled the four lug rotors to five lug. That is about it.

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
I thought i have read somewhere, maybe this forum that a company makes 5 lug rotors for the rears of our cars. If that was the case, then i wouldn't need the north brackets would i? or do i need those brackets to run shorter axles? or would shorter axles not make a difference with them?

Adower

Established Member
If you keep the stock axles and get SN95 rims you can buy a little ring that goes around the HUB of the axle. It allows you to use SN95 rims without buying new axles.

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
well guys.. here's what i just bought a minute ago. (4) 03 cobra, 10th anniversary 17x9 with 6.12 backspacing. hopefully they fit in the front?

I also bought a complete front 5 lug assembly off a 94/95 v6 mustang, and the rear end brake assembly as well, minus axles which i will be buying moser. I also bought the North Racecars bracket so i can run 5 lug foxbody axles. Just to confirm, I want the 29.187 length and 5x4.50 pattern correct? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MSR-A883151-1 I do believe i still need a spacer for my front end swap???? Hopefully someone can let me know what else i will need. Do i need a bumpsteer kit now also? If so will the one for a foxbody be the one i need? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CEE-2418

runin1320

sTaNGs OwNs JoO!
Established Member
Congrats! Yes, the 17x9's should fit in the front. Yes, on the spacer for the ball joint unless you use SN95 ball joints. You can stack 5/8" hardened washers too. Axles look like the right ones for 31 spline application. I did not use a bump steer kit however most people will advise to use one.

To be clear, the spacer goes on top of the spindle. Between the castle nut and the spindle.

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
alright, now as for the spacer, washer... shim, whatever we are calling it. anyone got a picture? I'm not exactly clear on what we are talking about. I'm assuming that i just buy a couple washers and just stack them up until it works?

runin1320

sTaNGs OwNs JoO!
Established Member
alright, now as for the spacer, washer... shim, whatever we are calling it. anyone got a picture? I'm not exactly clear on what we are talking about. I'm assuming that i just buy a couple washers and just stack them up until it works?

From Here: http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/~mjbobbitt/mustang/5lug.html

0.330" tall spacer, 5/8" inside diameter , 1.5" outside diameter (or a stack of washers totaling 0.330"). This is needed to properly fasten the crown nut on the lower control arm ball joint (the fox ball joint is about 1/2 taller than the SN95s and you will run out of threads, pic). If you are buying new tubular A arms, get them with the SN95 ball joints. Here are pics of a homemade one: [pic 1] [pic 2]

balljoints.jpg

homemade_spacer.jpg

Like this...you get the idea...
0603cct_23_z+fatman_fabrications+.jpg

sn95spindleandspacer.JPG

Just stack three SAE 5/8" washers per side or get 94/95 ball joints.

Last edited:

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
In the past, I've used three hardened washer per side that I got from Home Depot. They just need to be thick enough to get the castle nut high enough so the cotter pin goes through the castle part.

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
For all you guys who are doing the same thing as me, trying to piece together a how to for this, i will do pictures and a complete write up for everyone else out there who was clueless, and help you guys out...

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
I'm still unsure if i will need a bumpsteer kit? I dont have any issues now, and my car is lowered significantly in the front.? anyone have any ideas? Unless someone says i need it, i'm gonna pass on it i think.

runin1320

sTaNGs OwNs JoO!
Established Member
I'm still unsure if i will need a bumpsteer kit? I dont have any issues now, and my car is lowered significantly in the front.? anyone have any ideas? Unless someone says i need it, i'm gonna pass on it i think.

Mine bumpsteers pretty bad. If you plan on driving it much I would do it.:beer:

Adower

Established Member
are you talking about a spacer?

Its not really a spacer I guess.I was just saying if you get 5 lug fox length axles that do not have the SN95 HUB you can do this instead. You can buy a little ring that you pound over the HUB of the axle and it will make it so the rims will fit snug around the HUB of the axle.

Users who are viewing this thread