Porsche sued over crash that killed Paul Walker

blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/05/12/porsche-paul-walker-lawsuit/9011143/

LOS ANGELES — The widow of the man who was driving a Porsche sports car that crashed and killed Fast & Furious actor Paul Walker sued the automaker on Monday, claiming design flaws caused both men to die in a fiery crash in November.

The wrongful death lawsuit by Kristine M. Rodas says her husband was driving at 55 mph — not at unsafe speeds as law enforcement investigators determined — before it crashed last year. Roger W. Rodas was driving a 2005 Porsche Carrera GT capable of speeds more than 200 mph (320 kph), but his wife's lawsuit says the vehicle lacked a proper crash cage and safety features in the gas tank that would have saved both men's lives.

The lawsuit also contends that a failure in the car's suspension system forced it to careen out of control and strike three trees while driving down a street in Santa Clarita, California.

"The Carrera GT was unsafe for its intended use by reason of defects in its manufacture, design, testing, component and constituents, so that it would not safely serve its purpose," the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages from Porsche Cars North America, which did not immediately return email messages seeking comment.

Kristine Rodas' attorney, Mark Geragos, said he hired the top experts in the country to evaluate the wreckage and crash. The results, he said, were an unbiased look at the accident that refutes an official investigation that determined the sports car was speeding at up to 94 mph (151 kph) when it crashed.

Paul Walker in a scene from the movie "Brick Mansions."(Photo: Philippe Bosse, AP)
The results of an investigation by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and California Highway Patrol were released in March and concluded that it was unsafe speed and not mechanical problems that caused the crash. That investigation was aided by engineers from Porsche, who evaluated the wreckage of the rare car.

The differing opinions on the crash will likely be a part of any trial over the lawsuit, which could take years to resolve.

Roger Rodas was trained as a race car driver, according to his wife's lawsuit. He left behind two young children upon his death.

Walker, the star of the Fast & Furious film franchise, co-owned an auto racing team with Rodas named Always Evolving.

Walker's death occurred on a break in the filming of Fast & Furious 7, and the actor's two brothers are helping complete action scenes in the film. The film's release has been delayed until April 2015

big dad

Established Member
Money grab. Good luck with that. Hindsight is always 20/20. In more succinct words," You're supposed to shit if you eat reguarly".

6.0GTO

Established Member
The results, he said, were an unbiased look at the accident that refutes an official investigation that determined the sports car was speeding at up to 94 mph (151 kph) when it crashed.

Ok. I believe that.:rollseyes

Everything points to Rodas driving like an a hole and he ended up killing himself and a friend. Neither deserve a dime.

My94GT

Established Member
the CGT is fairly known to be a hard to tame car by even the most experienced of drivers. it will always be a crap shoot as to what really happened but its likely very safe to say that excess speed on that particular stretch of road was a contributing factor. its a shame to see two people loose their lives from the wreck, and i personally wouldnt be surprised to hear this gets settled out of court. do i think the widow is entitled to anything, eh no not really, but in this day and age im not shocked to see her going after Porsche for this.

Machdup1

Established Member
Husband glorifies illegal street racing and dies accident resulting from exhibition of speed on a public road and wife sues car company.

Blood is shooting out of my eyes from the amount of stupid in this bitch.

All of the parents and wives of people who died from street racing should file suit against her.

Last edited:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Husband glorifies illegal street racing and dies accident resulting from exhibition of speed on a public road and wife sues car company.

Blood is shooting out of my eyes from the amount of stupid in this bitch.

All of the parents and wives of people who died from street racing should file suit against her.

It isn't Paul Walkers wife. It is the other guys.

oldmodman

Established Member
Isn't there a crash recorder in that model Porsche?
That records speed, steering wheel angle, gear selector position, brake line pressure, ABS function and quite a few other things?

Porsche attorney questioning Mrs. Greedygut on the stand.

"Mrs Greedygut, let me direct your attention to this time/distance computer readout of the 30 seconds before the crash took place. Please note the speeds shown in the 100 yard space immediately prior to the crash. Pay particular attention to the maximum speed, throttle position, and average speed during that time. Note that the average speed was 87mph and the top speed was 96mph. And that the throttle position went from 66% up to 100% and then back down to 71% in the 2 seconds before the crash.
And just in case you were unaware the actual speed limit on the road at that point is 30mph.
Your honor, Porsche rests it's case"

zPipes

Established Member
Counterlawsuit for defamation of character. What a crock. How many deadly crashes arose from that exact make and model since it has been sold, and how many have been sold? This is what money gets you, the right to sue for more money. Here is the problem.. Porsche will settle, just to get this out of the media. This is the world we live in...

Zerohe

Bro do you even Boost?
Established Member
Isn't there a crash recorder in that model Porsche?
That records speed, steering wheel angle, gear selector position, brake line pressure, ABS function and quite a few other things?

Porsche attorney questioning Mrs. Greedygut on the stand.

"Mrs Greedygut, let me direct your attention to this time/distance computer readout of the 30 seconds before the crash took place. Please note the speeds shown in the 100 yard space immediately prior to the crash. Pay particular attention to the maximum speed, throttle position, and average speed during that time. Note that the average speed was 87mph and the top speed was 96mph. And that the throttle position went from 66% up to 100% and then back down to 71% in the 2 seconds before the crash.
And just in case you were unaware the actual speed limit on the road at that point is 30mph.
Your honor, Porsche rests it's case"

Flawless quote. Everyone's so sue happy in this world nowadays its ridiculous. Anyone and everyone is just LOOKING for something stupid to get rich off of.

john_anch_ak

Typical stupid liberal b.s. Suing the manufacturer of anything, (cars, firearms, cigarettes, garden hose, spoons...see where we're going here?), because some dummy chose not to use the device as intended is far too common in this country these days. Liberal judges and liberal juries award stupid amounts of money to the poor "victims" families all the time only to be overturned when judges who aren't stupid review the case. I hope she gets stuck paying a huge legal fee to Porsche for this crap.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Didn't they last claim that the tires played a big role for the crash? They said it was the original one's and more than likely had cracks/etc and were never serviced.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
She's suing Porsche hoping for a huge settlement out of court. After all, they have the big bucks. I heard this car was highly modified and scary to drive. Seems that if it was highly modified, your on your own....

Zemedici

Established Member
the CGT is fairly known to be a hard to tame car by even the most experienced of drivers. it will always be a crap shoot as to what really happened but its likely very safe to say that excess speed on that particular stretch of road was a contributing factor. its a shame to see two people loose their lives from the wreck, and i personally wouldnt be surprised to hear this gets settled out of court. do i think the widow is entitled to anything, eh no not really, but in this day and age im not shocked to see her going after Porsche for this.

understatement - the vehicle that they purchased was traded in by another professional racecar driver, as it was 'too much to handle'

The vehicle is manufactured WITHOUT a lot of safety assists that are on other vehicles, and the production was halted due to the fact the vehicles were so dangerous from what i've read.

Of course they're going to settle it out of court, but she's going to get a fat check.

Last edited:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
She probably spent all her husband's money and is broke.

Coiled03

Established Member
...........and the production was halted due to the fact the vehicles were so dangerous from what i've read.

Hahahahahhaa....no.

They stopped production because it was a limited run vehicle, that's it. In fact, they built more than they originally planned to (1270 vs. 1000).

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
It doesnt help that the fact this crash turned fatal was due to using magnesium materials. These guys didnt die because they wrecked their car, drove fast and hit a tree. They died because the materials used were insanely flammable.

Any other car they wouldve walked away from the crash. Put magnesium in shit, and watch it turn into an inferno within seconds. Seems like a pretty stupid material IMO, great weight savings, just keep heat away.

Users who are viewing this thread