Possibly going from 3.31 to 3.73, need your opinion.

D.T.R

Established Member
FWIW I run a Hoosier 28x10.5 with 3.55's. 430ish RWHP SAE and 123mph traps at a raceweight of 3525lbs. Damn near perfect Trap RPM for the stock intake IMO.

What mods do you have in order to trap 123? what ET you ran with that WHP and TRAP? and what weight reduction in order to get to 3525 ?

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

What mods do you have in order to trap 123? what ET you ran with that WHP and TRAP? and what weight reduction in order to get to 3525 ?

Lethal offroad H
GT500 axleback
Drop-in air filter
Pored stock intake
Reduced rotating weight (DS, wheels, etc) & other minor weight reduction.
ID injectors
E85 tune and a good driver
11.07 on E85
11.22 on gas last time out

ViciousJay

Established Member
Lethal offroad H
GT500 axleback
Drop-in air filter
Pored stock intake
Reduced rotating weight (DS, wheels, etc) & other minor weight reduction.
ID injectors
E85 tune and a good driver
11.07 on E85
11.22 on gas last time out

didnt you add a gear too?

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
That has nothing to do with anything. After my tune and before I worked the suspension my car spun quite easily. After I set it all up I was good to go.

Every auto car I have owned was easier to launch and launched more consistently. There is a reason they are preferred for drag racing. I am sure your suspension mods have helped as well, but it is much easier to launch an auto than a manual car, especially without the benefit of good rubber.

Mike

fordrevhead

Established Member
For what the OP is doing with the car I would personally choose 3.55's. However, I would also do the mods and run it before considering the gear change as already stated. 3.73's make first kind of useless on the street with the M6.

On a side note, I notice with the 3.31's that I use 5th a lot on the back roads around here because in 6th I would either speed almost always or lug along. So, for my commute to work I bet I would gain mileage being able to use the low end of 6th in place of 5th if I ran 3.55's.

SNSTR50

Established Member
OP, just my opinion, but my dad and I have identical cars bought one day apart- with the exception that I have 3.73's and he has 3.31's. A few weeks back, both cars completely stock, we lined them up for fun and I walked him light to light by about two lengths. Given, driver could have been a factor. But, I've driven his and compared to the way mine drives, I hate it.

Nick Nasty

Established Member
Juan, like i said on christmas im gonna be keeping the 3.31's till i go FI cause i dont wanna lose that possible top end. If im not impressed then the inly thing i would move to are 3.55, cause we've already seen how 3.73's are on the street.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
I'm forced to conclude that everyone talking about how 3.73s and the M6 make first gear useless, or OMG no traction, or "useless for street driving" can't drive. It's called throttle control, folks. Learn you some.

I test-drove a 3.31 car, and it felt slow. Didn't bother with a 3.55 car. I ended up with 3.73s because I won't ever see the top end of this car, and chances are, neither will 99.99999% of the folks here talking about wanting lesser gears for that "top end". Ridiculous. I wouldn't want this car with anything less than 3.73s in it. But then, I also don't go jogging with ski-boots on. :shrug:

98ss88mm

Established Member
Well, 3.73s are going to be the only way to go with minimal mods and the street (if you are maximizing acceleration). But regardless of gear a DR is going to be needed, I can spin from a 40 hit and well on into 3rd with 3.31s (420rwhp). If you are adding a power adder or anything later, id say keep the 3.31s with a big rear tire and dont shift into 5th (the way im going). If you choose to not run DR, you will spin regardless imo. The nitto 555R is a good tire, easy to drive on for the most part and mileage is decent (prob get 15+ if you dont do burnouts). Or as the other two said, execute some throttle pedalling and put some real control arms on there. Or all of the above.

3.55s might be optimal, but I wouldnt pay for 3.31 to 3.55 change. Just me. In a youtube comparison ive seen, 3.73 car was about 1/2 car faster than a 3.31 car on the street from a 40ish roll. Not worth the money/time to me...

Last edited:

98ss88mm

Established Member
I test-drove a 3.31 car, and it felt slow. Didn't bother with a 3.55 car. I ended up with 3.73s .....I wouldn't want this car with anything less than 3.73s in it.

so a 3.73 car is fast and a 3.31 car is slow? lawl

3.73 is too much for anything more than a bolt on car really.. especially with these tranny ratios.

D.T.R

Established Member
Well, i just put the H pipe on and an AFE filter... uploaded a tune (not really aggressive, it's pretty safe) and I went running last night and I'm pretty happy with how the car feels.
I'm still on stock tires ... and I did plenty of 20 & 40 rolls perfectly with very little pedal feathering ... I had traction control off but not the advancetrack off ? I just click the TC button once... i didn't hold it while braking... is that why I'm not spinning as much as others? I mean i have a high HP FWD car so I know all about feathering it... that might've helped? idk.
Eitherway, I'm very happy with how the car is now.... the next mod is a 100 or 150 shot... so IDK if I should change the gear still :(

D.T.R

Established Member
OP, just my opinion, but my dad and I have identical cars bought one day apart- with the exception that I have 3.73's and he has 3.31's. A few weeks back, both cars completely stock, we lined them up for fun and I walked him light to light by about two lengths. Given, driver could have been a factor. But, I've driven his and compared to the way mine drives, I hate it.
Yup, i rode in a 3.73 5.0 and it felt quicker down low... not sure how it'd feel 80-140mph though.
Juan, like i said on christmas im gonna be keeping the 3.31's till i go FI cause i dont wanna lose that possible top end. If im not impressed then the inly thing i would move to are 3.55, cause we've already seen how 3.73's are on the street.
Nick, thanks for the input. I think I need to run Kirby from a dig or low roll to see the differences in gearing as he has 3.73 ...
Given that I'd like to spray soon, i might keep this gear.
To answer the OP, I'd definitely say go for it. A 3.73 gear car is going to be more fun to drive.
I agree with it being more fun ;)

Users who are viewing this thread