Possibly going from 3.31 to 3.73, need your opinion.

98ss88mm

Established Member
my car will wheel hop 2nd from a roll haha, so if you are hooking in 1st on then hell yea! I also have Brembos though, looks like MikeLTD does too, maybe if you have the 18s they are better since these Pirelli 19s seems to suck for going straight.

Or I will paint my car Vitamin Gold and let Storm drive it since my IQ isnt high enough to work the clutch pedal.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
my car will wheel hop 2nd from a roll haha, so if you are hooking in 1st on then hell yea! I also have Brembos though, looks like MikeLTD does too, maybe if you have the 18s they are better since these Pirelli 19s seems to suck for going straight.

Or I will paint my car Vitamin Gold and let Storm drive it since my IQ isnt high enough to work the clutch pedal.

Yes, I have Brembos.

Here is what it is like inside my car. This was not even a launch, I just rolled into the throttle in 1st on a nice warm day. Look at what happens when I drop the hammer and then make the shift........

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhbOlSRlWBY&list=UUECPEzGAKEB4O9G3T-ImoFA&index=4&feature=plcp"]2012 Mustang GT 5.0 in-car with Roush axle back - YouTube[/nomedia]

Mike

D.T.R

Established Member
Mine will do it regardless. Traction control on, off, or completely disabled. Hey, with traction like that you should go to the track and get some times. I had a very difficult time getting mine down the 1/4.

Mike

And I haven't even lowered the pressure in the tires yet lmao. It's hooking greatly...
from a dig... launching at 3200rpms~ it spins a bit, you feel the rear end getting sideways a tiny bit... and boom.. it goes... no more spin.

also, yeah. I can't wait to hit the track. I'm going to put some 26" M&H racemasters ... and hopefully borrow my buddy's skinnies. low 12s or bust.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
And I haven't even lowered the pressure in the tires yet lmao. It's hooking greatly...
from a dig... launching at 3200rpms~ it spins a bit, you feel the rear end getting sideways a tiny bit... and boom.. it goes... no more spin.

also, yeah. I can't wait to hit the track. I'm going to put some 26" M&H racemasters ... and hopefully borrow my buddy's skinnies. low 12s or bust.

I will let you know how the 26 inch Racemasters do, as I have a set as well and I am just waiting for my Drag Stars to arrive. Hoping to see the track next Wednesday. With 26 inch tires, rear end ratio should be closer to 3.42.

Mike

D.T.R

Established Member
I will let you know how the 26 inch Racemasters do, as I have a set as well and I am just waiting for my Drag Stars to arrive. Hoping to see the track next Wednesday. With 26 inch tires, rear end ratio should be closer to 3.42.

Mike

I don't think I'll need to shift into 5th even with those 26" tires.
4th goes to like 135mph IIRC.

D.T.R

Established Member
awesome. Now I'm really eager to try those tires.
I use them on my Honda.. and at 600whp+ they hook pretty decent from a 60 roll lmao.
I'm sure on the mustang... being a lot slower and rwd they will hook from a dig like a mofo.
I love those tires.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
awesome. Now I'm really eager to try those tires.
I use them on my Honda.. and at 600whp+ they hook pretty decent from a 60 roll lmao.
I'm sure on the mustang... being a lot slower and rwd they will hook from a dig like a mofo.
I love those tires.

They are probably going to look a little strange being an inch shorter than the 19's that are currently on my car, and being on a 15 inch wheel...but I don't care. I just want some traction!

Mike

D.T.R

Established Member
They are probably going to look a little strange being an inch shorter than the 19's that are currently on my car, and being on a 15 inch wheel...but I don't care. I just want some traction!

Mike

you read my thoughts broda' ...

these rims are 15x7 +33 with 235/60/15 .. damn Honda and their small rims lol
I'll take pictures of it tonight... as I'm taking the stock rims off to plastidip them.

the tire width is the same as the stock pirellis though ... but I'm getting more sidewall that will flex... and of course some really sticky compound.. they almost feel like slicks lol

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
I'm trying to find a pic of the rims and tires.
Here they're on the Honda
They're team dynamics ... 13lb rims :D

juansdarkrsx.jpg

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
My car came with 3.73's.
I swapped to 3.55's and picked up 2+ mpg in fuel economy, as well as gained 3MPH in the 1/4, matched my 3.73 60fts and dropped a little ET.

I haven't tried 3.31's, but I won't go back to 3.73's with the current near stock setup.

That is one of the reasons Ford gives both gears optional....Unless you want to ride around with atleast drag radials,,The 373 gear is not needed..The tranny gears are lower then other setups previously used and so closely spaced also you need to shift to 5th in the 1/4 mile

superman

Established Member
Let me know what you run with the 3.31 gears. I'm debating about going to the 3.73 also. Car is stock 6 speed with 3.31 gear. 12.41 @117 1/4 with a set of 275/40/17 drag radials and 20 inch shelby front rims.

Funny5.0

Established Member
3.55s might be optimal, but I wouldnt pay for 3.31 to 3.55 change. Just me. In a youtube comparison ive seen, 3.73 car was about 1/2 car faster than a 3.31 car on the street from a 40ish roll.
Not worth the money/time to me...[/QUOTE]

Could you provide a link to this vid?

D.T.R

Established Member
Let me know what you run with the 3.31 gears. I'm debating about going to the 3.73 also. Car is stock 6 speed with 3.31 gear. 12.41 @117 1/4 with a set of 275/40/17 drag radials and 20 inch shelby front rims.

any weight reduction? 117 trap for a stock car seems high

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I tried out my 26 inch Racemasters briefly this weekend around town. Nice to have traction and the car did wind up a bit quicker with the short tire. I think for us 3.31 guys, it is not a bad option to go to a 26 inch tire to gain some gear. I would like 3.55s, but the cost/benefit ratio is pretty low.

Mike

D.T.R

Established Member
I tried out my 26 inch Racemasters briefly this weekend around town. Nice to have traction and the car did wind up a bit quicker with the short tire. I think for us 3.31 guys, it is not a bad option to go to a 26 inch tire to gain some gear. I would like 3.55s, but the cost/benefit ratio is pretty low.

Mike

I mounted them.... they clear the brakes (they're 15" rims) .. but truthfully, i don't have enough traction issues to justify using them. I don't spin that much from a dig/low roll. It's pretty minimum. I'll probably use those 26" for the track.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I mounted them.... they clear the brakes (they're 15" rims) .. but truthfully, i don't have enough traction issues to justify using them. I don't spin that much from a dig/low roll. It's pretty minimum. I'll probably use those 26" for the track.

Yeah, I hear you...they are for track use only. I do have traction issues, so I am eagerly waiting to see how they do when I get out again.

Here are mine:

2012-01-28_15-45-20_555.jpg

D.T.R

Established Member
Yeah, I hear you...they are for track use only. I do have traction issues, so I am eagerly waiting to see how they do when I get out again.

Here are mine:

2012-01-28_15-45-20_555.jpg

that doesn't look too bad.

I think i might not spin too much because my 5.0 is a base, with 3.31s (i know you have the same gear) and the 18" rims come with a tire with more sidewall than the premiums... so that might allow more flexing... and better traction?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread