Possibly going from 3.31 to 3.73, need your opinion.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
The question is,
is feathering it on 3.73s faster than basically smashing it and go with 3.31s ?

Dont fear the gear!

BUT, take some things into consideration, Time spent at highway speeds, and how you are effected by MPG. As far as traction goes, When you go to get a new set of tires, how about some NT05 NON DR's They seem to be a fair price and look like a decent tire. Anyways, Plan for the future, you will be kicking your self in the butt if you dont get the gears because of the tires you have now, when you get your new set of tires on there and realize those new gear would go great with a bit better tire.

I will be stepping up to a 3.90 or 4.10 in an AUTO, but the car is a shop car so MPG and highway speeds are not an issue.

Glad to hear the tune is running good.

Chris

D.T.R

Established Member
Dont fear the gear!

BUT, take some things into consideration, Time spent at highway speeds, and how you are effected by MPG. As far as traction goes, When you go to get a new set of tires, how about some NT05 NON DR's They seem to be a fair price and look like a decent tire. Anyways, Plan for the future, you will be kicking your self in the butt if you dont get the gears because of the tires you have now, when you get your new set of tires on there and realize those new gear would go great with a bit better tire.

I will be stepping up to a 3.90 or 4.10 in an AUTO, but the car is a shop car so MPG and highway speeds are not an issue.

Glad to hear the tune is running good.

Chris

I definitely love the MPG i get on the hwy with this gear tho ... I usually chill at around 70mph... and I never get less than 26mpg... I do a lot more commuting driving than racing... like you said, that's something that also plays a big roll.
Thanks for the tune... the car woke up a little... i can only imagine once you start fine tuning it more :rockon:

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
When choosing a rear gear you need to consider your future mods. If you plan on sticking to just bolt ons and maybe spray then consider a regear but if your going f/i you may want to keep your 3.31s or get 3.55s.

D.T.R

Established Member
Good Advice ma' frand' ....
I think a 3.73 with drag radials would work greatly.

98ss88mm

Established Member
Again, I invite you to learn throttle control. Lawl is right.

Throttle control is the solution for everything. Including 600rwhp and tight gear ratios that may or may not slow the car down. With a bunch of power, you dont need the gear or constant shifts. But maybe im a huge tool, since I bought a car with 3.31s that is clearly slower.

He called me bro and said my story was cool?

Funny5.0

Established Member
Iv'e driven 3.31's and 3.73's extensively. Under 70ish the 3.73's feel noticeably stronger (especially 1st gear and 2nd from a 4k rpm punch) but above 70 the 3.31's feel stronger. After that pretty much feel the same to even weaker above 80ish.

dark-knight

Established Member
Well, i just put the H pipe on and an AFE filter... uploaded a tune (not really aggressive, it's pretty safe) and I went running last night and I'm pretty happy with how the car feels.
I'm still on stock tires ... and I did plenty of 20 & 40 rolls perfectly with very little pedal feathering ... I had traction control off but not the advancetrack off ? I just click the TC button once... i didn't hold it while braking... is that why I'm not spinning as much as others? I mean i have a high HP FWD car so I know all about feathering it... that might've helped? idk.
Eitherway, I'm very happy with how the car is now.... the next mod is a 100 or 150 shot... so IDK if I should change the gear still :(

your hondas slow :coolman:

But with your car being so new, i think waiting to decide on a gear you want would be best homie. And finish the RSX so we can see that pile go from a dig:rockon:

D.T.R

Established Member
your hondas slow :coolman:

But with your car being so new, i think waiting to decide on a gear you want would be best homie. And finish the RSX so we can see that pile go from a dig:rockon:

yeah it might be a little too soon to decide on a gear...

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
Throttle control is the solution for everything. Including 600rwhp and tight gear ratios that may or may not slow the car down. With a bunch of power, you dont need the gear or constant shifts. But maybe im a huge tool, since I bought a car with 3.31s that is clearly slower.

He called me bro and said my story was cool?

I love it when people interject things that weren't part of the initial discussion as hyperbole in an attempt to prove their point.

98ss88mm

Established Member
check out my first post playa. I said 3.73s were the only way to go for a bolt on car. you just lost bro, did that go how you wanted it to? Nope. Done with this here, seems the OP has pretty much gotten the overall idea.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
check out my first post playa. I said 3.73s were the only way to go for a bolt on car. you just lost bro, did that go how you wanted it to? Nope. Done with this here, seems the OP has pretty much gotten the overall idea.

Wow, your attempt at thugging sure makes you sound cool. :shrug:

Get back to me when you're able to pass a basic English course, "playa".

Also? I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
Wow, your attempt at thugging sure makes you sound cool. :shrug:

Get back to me when you're able to pass a basic English course, "playa".

Also? I do not think that word means what you think it means.

You seem upset bro? It's just a gear thread bro.

D.T.R

Established Member
I will give the 3.31 a shot with these bolt ons... I like how it won't spin in 1st with factory tires... just a little chirp going into 2nd.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I will give the 3.31 a shot with these bolt ons... I like how it won't spin in 1st with factory tires... just a little chirp going into 2nd.

It won't spin in 1st at all? Man, my car will obliterate the tires in first. It will do it on a 2nd gear roll on as well, even in warmer weather. However, I don't recall it being that traction impaired prior to the installation of the Pro-Cal.

Mike

D.T.R

Established Member
It won't spin in 1st at all? Man, my car will obliterate the tires in first. It will do it on a 2nd gear roll on as well, even in warmer weather. However, I don't recall it being that traction impaired prior to the installation of the Pro-Cal.

Mike

Nope. That's with traction control off, but with advancetrack on i guess?
I didn't push the brake and held the TC button for 5 seconds.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Nope. That's with traction control off, but with advancetrack on i guess?
I didn't push the brake and held the TC button for 5 seconds.

Mine will do it regardless. Traction control on, off, or completely disabled. Hey, with traction like that you should go to the track and get some times. I had a very difficult time getting mine down the 1/4.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread