Possibly the saddest/worse night i can remember

VAMPIR3

Established Member
i don't post much... actually never. but anytime i ever see a thread like this one i pass this along. i posted it here a couple of months ago.

A man and his dog were walking along a road.

That's pretty awesome story man. Thanks for sharing.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
If she's suffering, take her to a vet to put her down quickly and painlessly.

+1

MonkeysL, I know you hope you won't have to make the decision because it's too painful to bear, but you must make the decision because she can't. She never gave up on you, do the right thing. Some of us waited too long because we didn't want to say goodbye...

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
+1

MonkeysL, I know you hope you won't have to make the decision because it's too painful to bear, but you must make the decision because she can't. She never gave up on you, do the right thing. Some of us waited too long because we didn't want to say goodbye...
+1

I did because I didn't want to let her go. She was my first pet to have and also the first to be put down. I should have had her put down about 2 weeks before I finally did, but I didn't because I was really attached to her. I feel bad for letting her suffer because I couldn't handle it.

SoCalCobra

Intaker & 7.5" Pistons!
Established Member
My mother just now called me to tell me her 15 yr. old poodle had a heart attack at the groomer and died today. She's upset, obviously. That dog has been in the family forever, it seems.

Bankstitan

Pwns F150s daily
Established Member
im not sure if itll work for you...but when i had my dogs stolen by some jerks (who will die if i ever find out who) i went out and got my two pups. It really did help me as they kept me busy and really kept my mind off my first pits. It really helped me move on. Maybe thatll help.

again...i feel your pain, and wish you the best

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Sorry to hear man. We just lost one of our dogs last night to Parvo, after 3 days of battling to keep her alive. My sons were/are devastated. What's sad is, we can't get a replacement for another year, to ensure that a new pup doesn't catch it.

SoCalCobra

Intaker & 7.5" Pistons!
Established Member
Sorry to hear man. We just lost one of our dogs last night to Parvo, after 3 days of battling to keep her alive. My sons were/are devastated. What's sad is, we can't get a replacement for another year, to ensure that a new pup doesn't catch it.

Why can't you just get a pup that's had its parvo vaccination?

sonblue03

"non SVT owning loser"
Established Member

Sorry to hear, but most puppys with parvo really don't make it...

To the OP-sorry for your loss, Just a couple weeks ago at the office a police officer brought his dog in (his k9 unit) after being together for years and years...Big big strong guy completely broken down and I was putting the dog down, I felt horrible, let them hang out in an exam room for as long as they wanted (I told him he can stay until we close if he wants) then as I put his dog down he was the last thing his dog saw/she didn't even look that scared...It was pretty emotional for everyone, especially when you see this big police officer carrying his dog in in tears, afterwards I told him to come to my office and we just sat down and talked for a while, he told me all kinds of stories....

Sorry for the thread jack, but I know how it is to have to put any of my own dogs down, and I dread any more leaving me...Best of luck, go out and rescue a dog, give one a second chance.

Last edited:

sonblue03

"non SVT owning loser"
Established Member

Usually you start the DHLP (protects against distemper, parvo etc) at 6-8 weeks of age, so if a puppy has been exposed or its going around at a puppy store or shelter then you'll get it.

Sapperstang

Established Member
So sorry to hear. Pets can really become part of the family. I hope she goes peacefully and with you at her side.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member

Well, we have two older dogs that weren't affected, and they essentially can't be around pups for at least a year, because they are now likely unaffected carriers for at least that long. At least that's what the vet my wife talked to said. Also, even vaccinated pups can still get it, they're just less susceptible. Although there is a test vets can run to check if the dog is Parvo resistant. I'm sure sonblue03 can correct me on all that, if any of it's wrong (I believe he is a vet).

Terrminatted

Turtle Man
Established Member
so sorry to hear man. My first dog died on my birthday with cancer. We should have put her down, but didn't. Again, i'm really sorry dude.

sonblue03

"non SVT owning loser"
Established Member
Well, we have two older dogs that weren't affected, and they essentially can't be around pups for at least a year, because they are now likely unaffected carriers for at least that long. At least that's what the vet my wife talked to said. Also, even vaccinated pups can still get it, they're just less susceptible. Although there is a test vets can run to check if the dog is Parvo resistant. I'm sure sonblue03 can correct me on all that, if any of it's wrong (I believe he is a vet).

Yeah any dog is susceptible, those vaccinated just have a very small likelihood of getting it.

03vert70charger

Established Member
I think it is safe to say that every dog owner feels your pain. I like to remember the good times I had with previous dogs and the happiness that they brought me, instead of wishing they were still around. Get pictures while you still can!

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
OP:

I'm very sorry about your buddy. My english bulldog Hulk died last week, it was the one of the worst phone calls I've ever recieved. We were best friends. I'm chokin up right now just thinking about it, he's the best dog I've ever had. I hope your dog pulls through, losing a pet is like losing a sibling for me.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your pet. It's a very hard decision to make the call on whether or not to put down a pet, but you need to realize that in the end you will be doing what's best, despite the your own pain & suffering.

I went through this a few years ago with my German Shorthair Pointer. At almost 9 years old his kidney's were failing, he had lost nearly 15 lbs between mid Nov. and Dec., and I literally hand fed him for a week. He eventually snapped out of it for awhile, gained some weight again, and I was able to take him on one last hunt in March '05...one of his best ever...snapped some great photos of him and my other GSP. Had to put him down Sept. '05 at 9.5 yrs old...one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make.

Here is a poem titled 'Rainbow Bridge' that will probably get you teary-eyed but will also make you smile.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Odd that you posted this thread. I just got back from my parents' house, and they want me to take their dog tomorrow to have him put down. He's been sick for awhile, and now he can't get around anymore, doesn't eat, can't go outside to use the bathroom, etc. He just turned 14. A sad day indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread