Potential new Terminator -> 5.0 owner questions.

FuzzyDiceRule

Established Member
Hey guys. I have been intrigued by the 5.0 since they came out ( intrigued may be the wrong word, i wanted an '11 badly when i bought my cobra, but i couldnt swing it at the time) And i am in love with the 2013's... Needless to say i got the terminator. And while i love my car to death, i have been yearning for something else with the car. The Spring creak (which is my fault, tbh) and the random, intermittent rattles from the interior are getting on my nerves, as well as the overall quality(lackthereof) of the car has had me thinking of upgrading. That and i dislike the fact that i can have a drastic drop in performance if the day is slightly hotter than the last (heat soak is a bitch, as im sure alot of you know).

Recently me and my friends have been talking about getting into track days and autocrossing, and while i have my Z, i know i probably wont have it all the time, and i REALLY dislike the idea of only being able to do 5 or 6 laps at willow before having to pit and let my supercharger cool off,

All of this general discomfort has put me back on the thinking path of the 5.0... I really like the thought of being able to buy a car off the lot with recaros, brembos, and 3.73's that will be able to go run consistant times, consecutively, and also make a nice (ish) around town car (or daily if need be, of which my terminator does mediocre) And now that i am in a better position with work to be able to afford a loan, im really thinking about trading..

Now for the questions...

First and foremost, to all the Ex (or still current) Terminator guys who now drive 5.0's Especially if you were dailying and near stock, How did you like the trade. Ive test driven two now and i definately like the car, but that doesnt necessarily give you the full spectrum of the driving experience, Im mostly interested in a mileage comparison (i know we can talk ratings and averages for hours, but im looking for someone to inform on what they got in the cobra, vs what they get in the 5.0 ive been averaging 12-16 in my cobra mixed city and highway with a heavy foot)

Overall noteable driving differences between the two?

Do you have any regrets on the trade?

For all owners, how are your cars holding up over time. Sun fade on the interior, rattles, etc?

The known clutch and trans issues bother me some, but they all seem relatively simple to work around, and i plan on modding the thing anyway, and i dont go to the drag strip often, nor do i really care, and i dont powershift my cars, so im not terribly worried...

Generic car questions.

I really like the 4.2" LCD and the Track Apps. I played with it in the '13 i drove the other day and its a cool feature. I dont understand why they dont have it in the Base GT's though... I am not the largest fan of leather, and i would not mind getting the base by any means (keep costs down) but i dont really want to lose this feature. Can anybody elaborate on what the message center on the base has, or is it just basic parameters. Im planning on going back to the dealer to play with a couple of the cars to check out the differences, but there is a large chance i will miss something.

Any other particular opinions for or against the premium based on the interior features? id like to have a nice car, but i also dont really want to overpay for said car either

Does anybody know anything about the attainability of a 2013 GT500 rear bumper and axlebacks? Those things make me happy in the nether regions and i would very much like that kind of exhaust setup...

I have heard tell that the 3.55(?) or 3.31 axle is preferrable to the 3.73's for one reason or another. the first being that first gear was supposedly to "quick" with the 3.73's. I didnt really notice that with the car i drove, but i guess i could see why. Any input on that front?

Is the track package worth it? I like the idea of the upgraded cooling, but has anyone without the package had any overheating issues out on the track? It seems to be the only way to get a '13 with 3.73's as far as the builder is concerned, but if the answer to these last two questions is no, then why bother?

Recaro's. I believe i read that they save 80 lbs over the power seats? is that right or just some fancy BS. Are they worth the giant price tag? The stockness is nice and they are very comfy, but would i just be better off ditching them as an option and getting some corbeaus or something else aftermarket? Are they effective as a racing seat (obviously to people who have tracked their cars)

During my test drive of the 2013, i noticed a could of things as well.

A: The car felt very spongy in the suspension dept. I dont remember the 2011 (3.31 axle base)that i drove a couple months back feeling that way, but i didnt get a chance to take a few corners in that thing either. The 13 was a 3.73 axle Premium, and i noticed a lot of lift and dive on acceleration and braking., and the car seemed to want to take off on a very minor yump. This being said, i noticed on fords website that the Brembo package adds "Aggressive suspension tuning" I would hope that this would mean the car has been stiffened up quite a bit, but i have yet to drive a brembo car (the only one the dealer had was an automatic convertible,

B:There was quite a bit of throttle lag, i am completely unused to DBW cars, so im assuming it can be attributed to that. I prefer my cars to have a crisp throttle, is it easy/achievable to get this feeling with a handheld?

My sincerest apologies for the novel. Im really on the fence about this, and i just want some assistance deciding if this is a good idea for me... Im sure im forgetting some of my questions as well...

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
If you want a tight suspension a good set of springs and shocks/struts. If you're going to AutoX it, chances are you're going to get rid of the stock suspension anyways. A good tune will get you good throttle response, kill the lag in between shifts and gain noticable amount of power. GT500 axle backs are easily attainable and are some of the best sounding (in my opinion) and cheapest axlebacks out right now. My car experienced BAD wheel hop stock with my 6M. I added a set of UPR control arms and it killed the wheel hop. In my '12 with the Paxton on it, I can get 22-24 mpg mixed city/highway if I am easy on the throttle. The car is very DD'able, before AND after the supercharger.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Had a cobra, loved it to death but time goes on and maybe one day ill own another but for now the coyote is the king in the stable right now

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I miss my Terminator for a couple of reasons: Mainly the look, but also for its 460/467 numbers with minimal mods.

That being said, the new platform is light years ahead in overall build quality and interior quality.

It will take some time to get used to the electronic drive-by-wire, but that lag will almost go away with a tune. As far as power, my 12' has a mild FRPP tune but still runs well. My terminator trapped 118mph with a 2.93/tune/exhaust and my 12' traps at almost 114mph as of now.

One thing that is I truley miss is the exhaust note of the Terminator. The mufflers being at the bumper of the car completely take away the ability to replicate anything remotely close (amongst other factors).

ViciousJay

Established Member
I miss my Terminator for a couple of reasons: Mainly the look, but also for its 460/467 numbers with minimal mods.

That being said, the new platform is light years ahead in overall build quality and interior quality.

It will take some time to get used to the electronic drive-by-wire, but that lag will almost go away with a tune. As far as power, my 12' has a mild FRPP tune but still runs well. My terminator trapped 118mph with a 2.93/tune/exhaust and my 12' traps at almost 114mph as of now.

One thing that is I truley miss is the exhaust note of the Terminator. The mufflers being at the bumper of the car completely take away the ability to replicate anything remotely close (amongst other factors).

we need more companies to make mid muffler systems like Pypes then... lets do it!!!!!

Davey

Established Member
I've considered doing the Boss 302 exhaust just to get some rumble in the floorboards... This car is too quiet.

vik

Established Member
My brother and I live together, he has a Cobra I have a Coyote. I miss driving his car around :( The rawness of the terminator is not there, but for a DD which my car is, I get 19MPG Combined, with A/C blowing.

FuzzyDiceRule

Established Member
My brother and I live together, he has a Cobra I have a Coyote. I miss driving his car around :( The rawness of the terminator is not there, but for a DD which my car is, I get 19MPG Combined, with A/C blowing.

That s one of the things I love about my terminator, but it's also starting to get annoying, especially now that I have to daily the car...

CPRsm

Your gargantuan ass will fit in this car a little better than the older stuff. I have trouble playing in classics after being spoiled with this new fangled stuff. -Dustin

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Ive had two termis and now this one. I'll never ever purchase another termi again. This car is so much more refined, comfortable, and better mannered. I did mind of miss the brutishness of the termi torque until I tvs'd mine. Now, with less boost, this car makes more power, is more useful power, more comfy than any previous terminator, orang mustang for that matter.

FuzzyDiceRule

Established Member
Your gargantuan ass will fit in this car a little better than the older stuff. I have trouble playing in classics after being spoiled with this new fangled stuff. -Dustin

Hey now Dustin, I'm working on the gargantuan ass, play nice now. :p.

Im getting the te responses I didn't want to get. I'm finding it increasingly hard to not do this trade

Turbo900rr

Established Member
Hey now Dustin, I'm working on the gargantuan ass, play nice now. :p.

Im getting the te responses I didn't want to get. I'm finding it increasingly hard to not do this trade

I dont know how tall you are, but I'm 6'3" 250 and I fit so much better in this car versus the older mustangs. It's just has more room for my legs and I can actually drive 100 miles without cramping up.

5.0jake

Established Member
Terminator guys who now drive 5.0's Especially if you were dailying and near stock, How did you like the trade.

I personally would keep the terminator. It's not as nice or refined as the coyote but your gonna miss the grunt and sound:bowdown:. When I want plush and refined I'll drive my Odyssey:rollseyes
I love my 5.0 but unless heavilly modded the power delivery is:bored: for how quick it is imo.

FuzzyDiceRule

Established Member

I love the rawness but the fact that it's my daily combined with the fact that my other car( an ls1 240z ) is also gonna be an uncomfortable unrefined beast, I kind of want something nice for once...

I dont know how tall you are, but I'm 6'3" 250 and I fit so much better in this car versus the older mustangs. It's just has more room for my legs and I can actually drive 100 miles without cramping up.
I am 6'6" 290 and am moderately cramped in the terminator, but Its not terrible, the new cars are definitely way way way more comfy

I personally would keep the terminator. It's not as nice or refined as the coyote but your gonna miss the grunt and sound:bowdown:. When I want plush and refined I'll drive my Odyssey:rollseyes
I love my 5.0 but unless heavilly modded the power delivery is:bored: for how quick it is imo.

As I said my other car is going to be faster and less refined so I have nothing to fall back on...

LOL, you're tall as hell. But I think I still have a bigger ass.

No comment... Lmao

Users who are viewing this thread