Predictions: 03 KB Vert V.S. Built 402 GTO

50q's

Established Member
sorry but i hate to agree with a drivers race. more torque for the cobra. more use-able power-band for the cobra. I have yet to see a really good running gto put the power to the ground. no offense it is a four door sedan with an ls motor. ws6 guys were disgraced when the gto came out. hands down the cobra should easily walk away from the gto. maybe not from a dig but the other races won't be close.

yes, the motor may be strong, but a gto can't and wont put the power to the ground. even with close hp/tq numbers i still would give the edge to the cobra. its the powerband that is and will always be key in these races with cars weighing close to the same amount. the cobra is making 30hp/30tq and I would even go as far to say 50hp+ around 3500.

dig Cobra>gto 1 car
40 Cobra>2 1/2 car
60 Cobra>2 1/2-3 car

Evil6.0

Established Member
sorry but i hate to agree with a drivers race. more torque for the cobra. more use-able power-band for the cobra. I have yet to see a really good running gto put the power to the ground. no offense it is a four door sedan with an ls motor. ws6 guys were disgraced when the gto came out. hands down the cobra should easily walk away from the gto. maybe not from a dig but the other races won't be close.

yes, the motor may be strong, but a gto can't and wont put the power to the ground. even with close hp/tq numbers i still would give the edge to the cobra. its the powerband that is and will always be key in these races with cars weighing close to the same amount. the cobra is making 30hp/30tq and I would even go as far to say 50hp+ around 3500.

dig Cobra>gto 1 car
40 Cobra>2 1/2 car
60 Cobra>2 1/2-3 car

3 cars from a 60 eh?:rolling:

I could argue that I will be able to put the power down. Besides the 275/40/17 ET streets that I'm about to buy I do also have 800hp anti wheelhop axles and drag bags so wheelhop hasnt been an issue for me. I see a little spin with this setup but nothing serious. Power to weight, both cars are going to be about to same but my gearing is going to be a good advantage. Ande99SVT is a close friend but I'm sure we could both agree that I have more seat time at the 1/4 mile and with street racing.;-)

Also you said the GTO was a 4 door sedan? You might be mistaken with the Pontiac G8.:shrug:

50q's

Established Member
nope, not at all confused. a GTO is the same size a midsize sedan. and I am not confusing it with a g8, but same chassis as a four door sedan. Not talking about your tires or anything. I have yet to see a good running GTO. you can put up a ls1(gto) vs ws6(ls1). the ws6 will walk away everytime, basically they just cant get the power to the ground comparable to a car with the same motor. I guess we will have to see, but I dont think it will be nearly as close as you think. almost identical weight, more hp/tq for the cobra. and def more torque throughout the power band.
Just race, enough of this internet racing. lets see something happen.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
Something similar to what I have seen.
a 450whp GTO vs a 450whp cobra, seems like the cobra wins every time. (from what I've seen)

Sticks n Stones

Goat Rider
Established Member

yes, the motor may be strong, but a gto can't and wont put the power to the ground. even with close hp/tq numbers i still would give the edge to the cobra. its the powerband that is and will always be key in these races with cars weighing close to the same amount. the cobra is making 30hp/30tq and I would even go as far to say 50hp+ around 3500.r
You must have a bunch of clueless types in GTO's around you. It's dead simple to get them to hook if you research it, especially the auto's like mine. My 265 series Dunlop Star Specs work better on the street then the track (autocross tire, stiff sidewall) but still got me into the 1.6 60' range at a barely prepped track. Have yet to have anything beat me to 60mph and I've raced some pretty serious cars.

I have come across alot of GTO owners who are modded and still running the craptastic stock tires or autozone specials. Just like I met a guy at Discount Tire once that had a old IROC and was stressed because no one carried the stock tires for it anymore. He said they "were specially designed for this car and no other tire will perform as well on it". :lol1:

To the question now: I think GTO could eke out a win, but it really depends on the accuracy of the dyno numbers in question: those seem low for a KB Cobra even at that low a psi. ?? Just to be sure you win evil6.0, make sure you delay the start as long as possible after he warms his tires up. let that heat soak right into his blower :D:coolman:

50q's

Established Member
You must have a bunch of clueless types in GTO's around you. It's dead simple to get them to hook if you research it, especially the auto's like mine. My 265 series Dunlop Star Specs work better on the street then the track (autocross tire, stiff sidewall) but still got me into the 1.6 60' range at a barely prepped track. Have yet to have anything beat me to 60mph and I've raced some pretty serious cars.

I have come across alot of GTO owners who are modded and still running the craptastic stock tires or autozone specials. Just like I met a guy at Discount Tire once that had a old IROC and was stressed because no one carried the stock tires for it anymore. He said they "were specially designed for this car and no other tire will perform as well on it". :lol1:

To the question now: I think GTO could eke out a win, but it really depends on the accuracy of the dyno numbers in question: those seem low for a KB Cobra even at that low a psi. ?? Just to be sure you win evil6.0, make sure you delay the start as long as possible after he warms his tires up. let that heat soak right into his blower :D:coolman:

I am once again not saying hooking up as in spinning and wheel hop. I am talking about motor making 500 and a GTO runs like it makes mid 400's, they transfer the power to the ground. And that's not saying they spin, they just don't run as well as they should. I have talked to many people who went from a cobra to a gto back to the cobra. They just aren't a muscle car, they are a fast sedan at best. Sorry you spent so much money on a sedan, but it won't run with a nicely put together cobra making similiar power.

Ande99SVT

Lazy Ass Rifleman
Established Member
nope, not at all confused. a GTO is the same size a midsize sedan. and I am not confusing it with a g8, but same chassis as a four door sedan. Not talking about your tires or anything. I have yet to see a good running GTO. you can put up a ls1(gto) vs ws6(ls1). the ws6 will walk away everytime, basically they just cant get the power to the ground comparable to a car with the same motor. I guess we will have to see, but I dont think it will be nearly as close as you think. almost identical weight, more hp/tq for the cobra. and def more torque throughout the power band.
Just race, enough of this internet racing. lets see something happen.

Whats your exact experience with seeing built GTO's run? I've watched this GTO get the jump on a 2.3 Whipple Cobra by about a car until the Cobra obvioulsy pulled him in, and that was with his 440 setup. This car put the power to the ground with that setup, and I completely agree with you about running a 275 and putting all of this new power to the ground. I think with a decent tire and the understanding of the car and where to start and how it reacts at what RPM's that this race will be a good one. I personally don't see 2-3 cars walking away, that's outrageous.

My torque "curve" is fantastic, as is with any decent Kenne Bell setup and tune, I stay in the 470-490 range for the latter part of the band. I'd love to show you guys comparative dyno sheets but we have no way of uploading them.

As for the weight, we are getting them weighed when we get back, with/without driver so we can get true numbers on it. We've got a few dyno places around our area, running dynojets and dyno dynamics.

I see where your argument is 50, and it's definitely a valid one. There is no argument about the build and power that this motor makes, and if he can solve the problem of getting the power to the ground then it will make for a great race.

And we'd love to get racing, but we're both deployed, we should be home soon.

Evil6.0

Established Member
Well I actually just ordered 2 brand new Nitto NT05R's in a 275/40/17.

50q's, trust me when I say that coming into the car scene years ago I had issues hooking at the track and on the street with my GTO. I've had it for over 4 years now and have the suspension work and tires to hook. Making less than 450rwhp I have cut several 1.70 60's at the track. Your experience with GTO's or LS cars seem to be mine with Mustangs in my area. I've seen several Teminators making equal or more than me have issues breaking 11's but then again its all on the driver.

This is just a friendly race between friends and I'm sure when you see the videos, my GTO will impress you. The loser has to buy beer for that night so its really a win-win!

Sticks n Stones

Goat Rider
Established Member
I am once again not saying hooking up as in spinning and wheel hop. I am talking about motor making 500 and a GTO runs like it makes mid 400's, they transfer the power to the ground. And that's not saying they spin, they just don't run as well as they should. I have talked to many people who went from a cobra to a gto back to the cobra. They just aren't a muscle car, they are a fast sedan at best. Sorry you spent so much money on a sedan, but it won't run with a nicely put together cobra making similiar power.

Simple enough. How about this me doing this to a 600rwhp built to the hilt all motor firebird then? The 485rwhp Cobra I raced a week earlier then this saw me pulling mercilessly out to a 5 car lead by 130mph. And he had the jump! (ported blower, full boltons, starting from his spot a 45 roll). I'm looking for a rematch with him to see if I can stop his topend pull now that I fixed my trans slipping in drive at WOT due to oil starvation.

427 Firebird versus 402 GTO - YouTube

50q's

Established Member
Simple enough. How about this me doing this to a 600rwhp built to the hilt all motor firebird then? The 485rwhp Cobra I raced a week earlier then this saw me pulling mercilessly out to a 5 car lead by 130mph. And he had the jump! (ported blower, full boltons, starting from his spot a 45 roll). I'm looking for a rematch with him to see if I can stop his topend pull now that I fixed my trans slipping in drive at WOT due to oil starvation.

427 Firebird versus 402 GTO - YouTube

Once the firebird hooked he was pulling buses on you? Great job on the cobra, but a kenne bell is a whole other animal.but being a stalled auto with a gear gives you the driver edge. Easily lose a half car on shifts alone with a bad driver. Once again this has nothing to do with tires. It comes down to the simple fact. I just do not think gto runs as good as it should with the power it makes.

Sticks n Stones

Goat Rider
Established Member
It comes down to the simple fact. I just do not think gto runs as good as it should with the power it makes.

It's funny, but that is the exact same thing guys repeat on the LS forums all day long about Cobra's: matter of fact, it's said that any all motor LS engine within 50rwhp of a cobra will beat the cobra every single time. I don't think I've ever heard of a kill post ever where a cobra with same power beat a 4th gen fbody or a GTO.

Kettle meet Pot.

TylerM35

Established Member
It's funny, but that is the exact same thing guys repeat on the LS forums all day long about Cobra's: matter of fact, it's said that any all motor LS engine within 50rwhp of a cobra will beat the cobra every single time. I don't think I've ever heard of a kill post ever where a cobra with same power beat a 4th gen fbody or a GTO.

Kettle meet Pot.

a fbody i agree with you a goat? no lol ive had both and just from seat time and owning both cobra is clearly a better car. i love ls2 gtos mine was a blast but like the one guy said they really arent muscle cars, its more of a cruiser thats comfy and sounds good but they are pretty quick for what they are.

cant wait to see videos. hopefully the cobra reels in the victory though!

2K1 SVT

Established Member

Kettle meet Pot.

Lol you act like you own a vette, get over yourself. I'll run any LS f body or GTO making similar power to my car and I guarantee I'll beat the GTO and run door to door with the f body.

Ls2BluGoat

200,000 mile club
Established Member

Seriously, a sedan? Their curb weight is almost equal to that of a 03/04 Cobra... :nonono:

Last edited:

50q's

Established Member
Did I find all the GTO nut huggers on svt? Seriously, 450hp cobra vs 450hp GTO. the cobra pulls at least one car. sorry, but that is how it works.

TylerM35

Established Member
Did I find all the GTO nut huggers on svt? Seriously, 450hp cobra vs 450hp GTO. the cobra pulls at least one car. sorry, but that is how it works.

Agreed. The weight isn't that far off and a boosted car making close numbers will have a pretty big advantage making the low end torque the goat won't make being N/A

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
What's wrong with you guys making decent power, but ruining it with low profile tires and shit? Get some big and littles and have fun with the car instead of spinning like a mofo.

bigs and littles wont help if you like driving your car more than just in straight lines 1320' at a time.

granted low profile tires and 18" wheels arent exactly road-race worthy setups either.....

D.T.R

Established Member
bigs and littles wont help if you like driving your car more than just in straight lines 1320' at a time.

granted low profile tires and 18" wheels arent exactly road-race worthy setups either.....

well, they're talking about straight line racing here... so I'm assuming that's what they like to do. You can always have a set of regular tires/rims and bigs and littles for the weekend fun?

04dreamcobra

When it runs, it's fast...
Established Member
:pop: Where are you guys doing this at? I would make the trip from Wilmington and help play camera man to see this! HAHA. It should be a good run!

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member

Kettle meet Pot.

You seem like you've been here for awhile as I've seen your kill stories so if you do a little research I'm sure you'll find a few different threads where a cobra and an Fbody had "around" the same power and a Cobra beats it but it goes both ways I guess.

Sent from my tuna boat note using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread