procharger i-1? has anyone drove with one?

PhillyLS1

Established Member
yeah, there really isn't enough reviews out there and like most on here they'll just bash to up sell a product they sell or the sheep that follow them. it's the internet lol. it's a great concept and step forward and hopefully it comes down in price and i wouldn't be surprised if you see vortech do something similar eventually and thats all good things for all of us.

I can't see Vortech doing anything like this. There isn't a need vs price. You're talking about a system that's more expensive than Hellion's twin turbo kit.

It's a heavy piece for sure and it's significantly heavier than their standard kits but the like earlier post roughly same weight as a pd set up. I don't have to change pullies, I can control my boost curve on the fly while i'm cruising and have the simplicity of a blower. The competition mode in this is makes the tq of a turbo with the snap of a tvs and depending on other factors i can push a button and change how the power comes in. it's fun. a turbo set up will always be the best choice out of any of the power adders out there but this gives you a little bit of everything. not just 1 thing. I'll try my best to get vids and stuff asap so theres more info out there for you guys. also just to take all things into consideration i had basically no timing on my paxton set up at 15psi cause i went overboard with the pulley size. (2.95) so the car only have 14* in it. I don't have the timing on this but I am sure it's higher. Also the paxton was dynoed in 90 degree weather & the i1 on a 60 degree day just to clarify. but regardless this thing is an absolute torque monster compared to everything else. (made peak tq quicker than my hellion single did)

For the price? Besides buying a turbo set-up there are tq boosters out there to make the same amount of power for far less money. The only thing this system has going for it is the ability to change boost via an LCD screen. There's a debate about IAT's but.... for the money?

You have an increase in heft and a WICKED hit on the wallet. $8500.00? If you want it in Black or Polished it's like 9K. The LCD screen doesn't even come standard. I'm not here to bash your choice. But there's people leaving out some crucial information. Like that it weighs 40 LBS more than the P1 or D1. Repeat. 40lbs.

For 2K+ extra? You can change a pulley and a belt. Or you can get a top tier turbocharger system with all the boxes checked off.

Last edited:

bigriff85

Established Member
I can't see Vortech doing anything like this. There isn't a need vs price. You're talking about a system that's more expensive than Hellion's twin turbo kit.

For the price? Besides buying a turbo set-up there are tq boosters out there to make the same amount of power for far less money. The only thing this system has going for it is the ability to change boost via an LCD screen. There's a debate about IAT's but.... for the money?

You have an increase in heft and a WICKED hit on the wallet. $8500.00? If you want it in Black or Polished it's like 9K. The LCD screen doesn't even come standard. I'm not here to bash your choice. But there's people leaving out some crucial information. Like that it weighs 40 LBS more than the P1 or D1. Repeat. 40lbs.

For 2K+ extra? You can change a pulley and a belt. Or you can get a top tier turbocharger system with all the boxes checked off.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. I had a turbo on the car & it had a ton of issues (yes it was a hellion single which was a huge reason) but regardless I care not to go through those headaches when I have the performance of a turbo, TVS, centri all in one package and depending on how I feel at that given moment I'm a button away from having it be whatever I want to be. Once the product becomes more common and others make similar products the price will be competitive with everything else out there. New technology is always more expensive.

Not to be a jerk but as an example didn't you go all out on a fabricated cobra jet intake set up to fit your vortech car and only gained 20 hp on it? why didn't you pulley it down instead of spending another 1500 in bolt ons when you could have spent 70 on a pulley? You were trying to be different right? See what I'm getting at? Being different isn't cheap. The weight difference is just like having a pd blower on the car, no issues w/ iats I have the race intercooler which dwarfs the paxton/vortech intercoolers.

here is a pic for comparison vs my old paxton intercooler
null-44.jpg
"]
null-44.jpg
[/URL]

PhillyLS1

Established Member
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. I had a turbo on the car & it had a ton of issues (yes it was a hellion single which was a huge reason) but regardless I care not to go through those headaches when I have the performance of a turbo, TVS, centri all in one package and depending on how I feel at that given moment I'm a button away from having it be whatever I want to be. Once the product becomes more common and others make similar products the price will be competitive with everything else out there. New technology is always more expensive.

I'm not trying to get at anything. I'm posting factual information that other shops, and companies are failing to provide. Saying "it's heavier" doesn't give scale. 40lbs does.

Not to be a jerk but as an example didn't you go all out on a fabricated cobra jet intake set up to fit your vortech car and only gained 20 hp on it? why didn't you pulley it down instead of spending another 1500 in bolt ons when you could have spent 70 on a pulley? You were trying to be different right? See what I'm getting at? Being different isn't cheap. The weight difference is just like having a pd blower on the car, no issues w/ iats I have the race intercooler which dwarfs the paxton/vortech intercoolers.

here is a pic for comparison vs my old paxton intercooler

Go all out? You mean make an intake spacer lol? Regardless of what the intake made (29hp btw lol) it was done for performance reasons. It wasn't for the "cool" factor. Furthermore I couldn't pulley it down. The engine is already maxed on 93 pump (or is at a place where I don't want to push it anymore). My investment vs. return will increase as I go up in blowers. The CJ intake compliments me as I go. The fact it looks cool or is different is just a benefit (subjective). And I certainly don't expect people to follow my lead lol. I did what I did because of the help of my sponsors, and I wanted to see the capabilities of the CJ. There are people involved with NMRA who wanted to see if there was a gain. If anything this was done out of curiosity and it just happened to make power. You knew well ahead of time that this system cost almost 9K. I made some intake spacers lol.

Having a heavy centri blower negates one of the benefits of owning one. So to me? That's a step back. But that's to ME. My stupid opinion. I'm not judging you or trying to give you a hard time. All I'm reporting are facts. Fact, I've had chevy guys I've met complain about the system. I reported the expense. I reported the heft. I reported that the LCD screen is an extra expense. I have no issue with anyone doing anything to their car. From the i1 to caliper covers or Lambo doors.

When I said IAT's I meant them being higher for guys using a TQ Booster. Not saying anything negative about the i1 in that regard.

bigriff85

Established Member
I never said anything about intake spacers. You have a supercharged car where you can pulley the car down for a $70 pulley as opposed to spending over a $1k for a manifold, throttlebody and whatever fab work was done. So $1k for 29rwhp vs me spending 2k more for over a 120ftlbs of torque on your set up through stock exhaust is somehow not the same stupidity? I'll take the extra 40 pounds and choose my boost curve to my liking. and what on earth does a "chevy guy" have anything to do with my set up? if i owned a chevy i'd have more complaints obviously than a supercharger. that's a given. so the fact of the matter that some guy owns some pos recalled chevy and has "issues with weight" i should stay clear of it on a mustang set up? We appreciate your input on the fact that it's expensive. That's the only fact you've presented here and we appreciate it. oh and the weight...again, i don't care about 40lbs, would have been same as if i want with another pd style.

Take it easy it's the internet. Just don't be so quick to throw stones if you live in a glass house. And if you do not have any first hand experience with this maybe you shouldn't be the one on the forums bashing it and trying to tell people what to do with their car or bash what they want to do with it which OP was asking for real world experience with it. i like your car a lot by the way congrats on your sponsorship too.

Last edited:

PhillyLS1

Established Member
I never said anything about intake spacers.
I'm aware you didn't. You said I went "all out." I had two pieces of aluminum made.

You have a supercharged car where you can pulley the car down for a $70 pulley as opposed to spending over a $1k for a manifold, throttlebody and whatever fab work was done.
You read the part where I said I'll be moving up in blowers right?

So $1k for 29rwhp vs me spending 2k more for over a 120ftlbs of torque on your set up through stock exhaust is somehow not the same stupidity?
A beefcake special is like at most, what? $5000.00? You're saying I spend 1K? That puts me at 6K. $650.00 more I can pick up 60-80ft lbs with a torque booster. If you in fact have the LCD screen? You're over 9K.

I'll take the extra 40 pounds and choose my boost curve to my liking. and what on earth does a "chevy guy" have anything to do with my set up? if i owned a chevy i'd have more complaints obviously than a supercharger. that's a given. so the fact of the matter that some guy owns some pos recalled chevy and has "issues with weight" i should stay clear of it on a mustang set up? We appreciate your input on the fact that it's expensive. That's the only fact you've presented here and we appreciate it. oh and the weight...again, i don't care about 40lbs, would have been same as if i want with another pd style
Oooohh. You're one of those guys. Ha-ha, recall joke. Good one. The weight has an effect on the bracket. Which... is what the individual was complaining about. Procharger makes the system. No matter what platform it's on.

Take it easy it's the internet. Just don't be so quick to throw stones if you live in a glass house. And if you do not have any first hand experience with this maybe you shouldn't be the one on the forums bashing it and trying to tell people what to do with their car or bash what they want to do with it which OP was asking for real world experience with it. i like your car a lot by the way congrats on your sponsorship too.

I'm not in a glass house at all. I don't need to buy a product to conduct research on it. There's a reason why this product hasn't took off. What? There's 2 on this whole forum? How many other forms of FI are there here? I mean even On3 sells their kits somehow.

AGAIN, all I did was state facts. It's $8500.00 PLUS, it weighs more than P1-D1 at 40+ LBS, and other owners have told me first hand they're not happy with the product. *SHRUG* I don't know why these statistics are upsetting to you.

mhyjek

Established Member
I have a paxton setup with supporting mods and I think both Philly and Bigriff setups are nice. Hell I even like the TVS's setups on here joking of course; my point is there are tons of way to make power and a pissing match won't change each others minds. It comes down to what you want, how much $, and the reasoning of how it best fits you is how we justify the $ and time. Like I said I love my setup but if I knew JPC and CPR's kits where going to be so good I would've waited a bit and went turbo. The end of the day my car is faster than I can drive it on street and is giving me troubles at the track with street tires. I can put slicks and put down a good time but I want to break in the 10's on true street tires so far my best is 11.4 on streets hopefully by the summers end I'll get my goal accomplished which is 10's in summer heat 85 plus degrees on street tires. I want my car to be fast when others are making excuses about heat soak, bad air, etc.

bigriff85

Established Member
it's not upsetting me. i have no issues with mine and I still don't after pulling my 2200 off for it either. did you not just say your sponsors were conducting research on your cobra jet set up for your nmra testing? now your saying you don't need to buy products to conduct research on them. still in a glass house i'd say but this is getting silly now. if you look at the chevy kit and the mustang kit they are completely different but again you wouldn't know that because you have no personal experience with the matter at all. Simply compare apples to apples here. Especially since you seem to be so adamant about proving why someone shouldn't put this on their car because of money. Did you not read the post where I've put half a dozen different power adders on my car? I don't care how much it costs because I enjoy modding my car. i know you wouldn't know but again from personal experience i can tell you that the i-1 differs on each application especially the head unit, the bracket, the plumbing, the inlet, etc vary for each different model car which may be why the chevy one has an issue but I have no such issue with mine. Only issue so far was when I swapped to an ATI balancer there was an alignment issue which Procharger took care of by the end of the next day. They are by far the best company I've ever dealt with in this industry on doing right by there customers!

Last edited:

PhillyLS1

Established Member
it's not upsetting me. i have no issues with mine and I still don't after pulling my 2200 off for it either. did you not just say your sponsors were conducting research on your cobra jet set up for your nmra testing? now your saying you don't need to buy products to conduct research on them. still in a glass house i'd say but this is getting silly now. if you look at the chevy kit and the mustang kit they are completely different but again you wouldn't know that because you have no personal experience with the matter at all. Simply compare apples to apples here. Especially since you seem to be so adamant about proving why someone shouldn't put this on their car because of money. Did you not read the post where I've put half a dozen different power adders on my car? I don't care how much it costs because I enjoy modding my car. i know you wouldn't know but again from personal experience i can tell you that the i-1 differs on each application especially the head unit, the bracket, the plumbing, the inlet, etc vary for each different model car which may be why the chevy one has an issue but I have no such issue with mine. Only issue so far was when I swapped to an ATI balancer there was an alignment issue which Procharger took care of by the end of the next day. They are by far the best company I've ever dealt with in this industry on doing right by there customers!

Jesus Christ.

Users who are viewing this thread