procharger i-1? has anyone drove with one?

bigriff85

Established Member
yeah, there really isn't enough reviews out there and like most on here they'll just bash to up sell a product they sell or the sheep that follow them. it's the internet lol. it's a great concept and step forward and hopefully it comes down in price and i wouldn't be surprised if you see vortech do something similar eventually and thats all good things for all of us. It's a heavy piece for sure and it's significantly heavier than their standard kits but the like earlier post roughly same weight as a pd set up. I don't have to change pullies, I can control my boost curve on the fly while i'm cruising and have the simplicity of a blower. The competition mode in this is makes the tq of a turbo with the snap of a tvs and depending on other factors i can push a button and change how the power comes in. it's fun. a turbo set up will always be the best choice out of any of the power adders out there but this gives you a little bit of everything. not just 1 thing. I'll try my best to get vids and stuff asap so theres more info out there for you guys. also just to take all things into consideration i had basically no timing on my paxton set up at 15psi cause i went overboard with the pulley size. (2.95) so the car only have 14* in it. I don't have the timing on this but I am sure it's higher. Also the paxton was dynoed in 90 degree weather & the i1 on a 60 degree day just to clarify. but regardless this thing is an absolute torque monster compared to everything else. (made peak tq quicker than my hellion single did)

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I'll have to disagree with you. I doubt very many people have this supercharger yet, so "actual" reviews are scarce other than bigriff's. The "bad reviews" I've read about have all come from those selling competitor products.

Why would there not be a need for this product? It delivers a PD blower boost curve with the efficiency of a centrifugal blower, and the ability to intercooler with an air-to-air. Best of both worlds.

As for the weight.... I'm not sure. Procharger says that the weight is comparable to a PD blower.

I couldn't agree more. Unless you have actually driven a car with this set up, all accusations are simply false.

yeah, there really isn't enough reviews out there and like most on here they'll just bash to up sell a product they sell or the sheep that follow them. it's the internet lol. it's a great concept and step forward and hopefully it comes down in price and i wouldn't be surprised if you see vortech do something similar eventually and thats all good things for all of us. It's a heavy piece for sure and it's significantly heavier than their standard kits but the like earlier post roughly same weight as a pd set up. I don't have to change pullies, I can control my boost curve on the fly while i'm cruising and have the simplicity of a blower. The competition mode in this is makes the tq of a turbo with the snap of a tvs and depending on other factors i can push a button and change how the power comes in. it's fun. a turbo set up will always be the best choice out of any of the power adders out there but this gives you a little bit of everything. not just 1 thing. I'll try my best to get vids and stuff asap so theres more info out there for you guys. also just to take all things into consideration i had basically no timing on my paxton set up at 15psi cause i went overboard with the pulley size. (2.95) so the car only have 14* in it. I don't have the timing on this but I am sure it's higher. Also the paxton was dynoed in 90 degree weather & the i1 on a 60 degree day just to clarify. but regardless this thing is an absolute torque monster compared to everything else. (made peak tq quicker than my hellion single did)

Well said.

TEG-84

Established Member

Do you have the dyno graph? =)

bigriff85

Established Member
Do you have the dyno graph? =)

i actually don't have any of my dyno graphs. the i-1 dyno graph from last year when we initially did testing on it on 7psi on in the heat was in the 555 range that was in MM&FF several months back though. also you the one comment i meant to mention earlier was this has different options on the screen where you can have analog or digital gauges on the touch screen. boost, impellar rpm, ratio of the blower, engine rpm, etc. you can change them to read 1-4...i'll get video of it.

TEG-84

Established Member
i actually don't have any of my dyno graphs. the i-1 dyno graph from last year when we initially did testing on it on 7psi on in the heat was in the 555 range that was in MM&FF several months back though. also you the one comment i meant to mention earlier was this has different options on the screen where you can have analog or digital gauges on the touch screen. boost, impellar rpm, ratio of the blower, engine rpm, etc. you can change them to read 1-4...i'll get video of it.

Interesting indeed...

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the other thing that seems to be overlooked (and maybe not as much of an issue on the 5.0s) is yes, you can pully down and add a waste gate but then you end up fighting belt slip. Bigger blower pulley and dial up the boost with a button = win

scholle

Established Member
Any information on the head unit itself? I like the idea behind it.
Anyone recognize this on/off supercharger?
500x_Mad_Max_Supercharger.jpg

ProChargerTECH

the head unit is based on the P1 if Im not mistaken

Guess this is a good time to make our "official" first post here on SVTP.....

The i-1 is in no way based off the P-1SC. From the gearbox, to the impeller it's a complete fresh look at centrifugal superchargers.

Lets talk about some of items discussed in this thread:

1) Weight: True it is heavier then our standard blowers. However when comparable to its boost curve brother the Roots/Screw, its a wash. (That was a design factor, trust us) Hate to compare it to a roots/screw, since it takes out that ultra low end shock to the driveline that positive disp. units do, but thats a whole different story, so moving on.

2) Boost/Efficiency: With the compressor wheel design, the nature of a centrifugal, and an air-to-air intercooler, the power per psi this unit produces is by far a leader. You don't have to take our word for it, it seems there is a person in this thread posting numbers off his car, that has had many different boost options on it. And a very well known dealer, that is speaking about it. (That has rode in a car equipped with an i-1)

3) Install, Advantages: Yes, the ability to change boost/boost curve much like a turbo is the massive advantage. BUT, with the installation easy of a centrifugal. A good number of people don't want to hassle with putting on a turbo kit, or dealing with the possible exhaust leaks/cracks that can come with a turbo system. However are fully able to bolt on a supercharger in their garage over a weekend. For that kinda guy, the i-1 hands down will make their lives VERY easy. (And when you factor in installation costs of Roots/Screw/Turbo systems, the spread really isn't that bad)

4) Technology: The i-1 is still an ever changing project, that is far from being done. We are always making upgrades to the software, and hardware to push the boundaries of what is possible with this supercharger. Even down to the simple things such as the wiring used during instal, to make it even faster for the end user. The "hard part" is over per say, in getting it to work as envisioned... now the sky is the limit to the possibilities. (Can't really talk about that much more, since that would all be confidential info obviously)

5) Forum Feedback: As far as people not being on the forums talking about them, we take that as a good thing. :) Most of the internet is full of negative reviews on various products of all shapes and sizes. (just look at items on amazon) However, when you buy something that makes it hard to wipe the smile off your face, posting about it on the internet sometimes is not the first thing on your mind. And in the case of the i-1, the first thing you will think about after installing it is likely trying to find a place to buy some suspension, and a big and little set up. :)

The i-1 literally changed the books on supercharging, and likely will continue to do so.
Hope this helped a little.

Enjoy the boost,
ATI ProCharger

Last edited:

ProChargerTECH

somewhere Joseph Goebbels is smiling.

Oh come on now, thats not very nice. Thats no way to treat an American company, trying to keep this aftermarket industry moving forward. :)

Its hard not to be excited about the i-1 when talking about it. For years/decades people talked about/dreamed about having a centrifugal with a flat boost curve. Well, thanks to 4+ years of R&D and some very talented engineers and staff, it became reality. It was a large undertaking of R&D resources (time+$$) during one of the slowest times for the economy and the aftermarket in general. But we are very proud, that something that was imagined, designed, and made right here in the USA, is re-writing the supercharging books of what is possible. That excitement, that is in that last post isn't propaganda, but pride.

Our new "conventional" blowers are pushing the HP abilities of their compressors day by day, and the i-1 is just icing on the cake.

We will be posting more on this site as time goes on, since we have some very exciting new stuff coming out in the "conventional" side of things. (AKA: Gear driven blowers)

Enjoy the Boost!
ATI ProCharger

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Guess this is a good time to make our "official" first post here on SVTP.....

The i-1 is in no way based off the P-1SC. From the gearbox, to the impeller it's a complete fresh look at centrifugal superchargers.

r

good to know, wish I could remember whos article it was claiming that

legos_mustang

Established Member
I've heard nothing but bad reviews. From it being extremely heavy with a poor bracket and the unit taking up a ton of room. The benefit of a supercharger is it's simplicity. I'm not sure there was ever a "need" for this product other than getting a neat LCD screen.

I think you are actually way wrong on the fact that there is no need for this product. While it will never replace the low cost belt/pulley simplicity of modern day centrifugal superchargers, it definitely has potential at the mid range and high end, especially once the technology continues to improve. Most people know the advantages and disadvantages of positive displacement vs. Centrifugal superchargers. In general positive displacement offer near peak torque at low RPM but are slightly less efficient at high RPM and generate more heat. Centrifugal superchargers have less torque and HP at low RPM but are more efficient, and don't transfer / absorb heat from the engine. That's why most centrifugal superchargers can get away with an air cooled setup vs. a water heat exchanger and intercooler.

The positive displacement industry was revolutionized when manufacturing became fine enough to create the current generation of roots TVS and twin screw superchargers. They offered much greater efficiency than roots blowers in the past.

This will do the same thing for centrifugal superchargers. Because of the constant variable transmission mounted to the centrifugal blower, it can start with the equivalent of an enormously small pulley which will bring the boost on at low RPM just like a positive displacement supercharger, but constantly change the gear ratio so that once you get to whatever boost level you want (say 1/2 an atmosphere or 7.35 psi), it will stay there. This has enormous potential. You now have the ability to create the same low end torque of a positive displacement supercharger with the efficiency of a centrifugal

Twins cost just as much also.plus its not instant.if i was to buy the i-1 i woud wait till a company like lethal had a 10-20% sale

You are absolutely correct on two of your points, however, I think slightly wrong on the one. 1. Twin turbos do cost as much as this kit, and 2. waiting to buy it during the Procharger / Vortech rebate wars that seem to happen each year or when one of the major manufacturers have a sale is absolutely going to be critical with something this expensive. But as to the boost not being instant, well neither is Positive Displacement. It's close, but not instant. This has similar potential as you can get insane ratios with this that you could not get with the current generation pulley setup. So yes, you can have instant boost close to that of a positive displacement.

As a physicist and engineer, I think this product has enormous potential. So much so that I was/am debating laying down the cash... but there are a few things turning me away.

1. The complexity / first generation technology. CVT technology isn't new, many cars use it today, but it had issues in its infancy even after years of automotive testing. I have no knowledge of the current offering, but I did work on some projects that involved similar technologies. It is difficult to anticipate all the different loads in the different axises as well as torsional loads that cars take when hitting potholes, curves, miss shifts, drop the clutch into a ditch, etc. The older belt driven products had issues when first developed, but have all matured to being very tolerant today. I'm not sure this has enough real world testing behind it.

2. The cost. Like others have said, you could have an entire TT system just about installed for just the hardware cost. I was ready to drop money on the product, but it didn't come with more powerful injectors, a boost pump, fuel rails, colder spark plugs, etc, and I would have to see how it was tuned and how the ECUs respond. Bottom line, for most users, the cost/benefit ratio isn't going to be there until the tech matures and the price comes down.

3. Early adaptation of a new tech. Doesn't mater what it is. The first people in on a new technology always pay through the nose for it and have less than stellar results. Doesn't matter if you go back to turbos, or early fuel injection vs. carbs, or CD or DVD or Blue ray players, it's always the same. At some point, if you want to play you are going to have to jump in knowing the tech is always going to get better, but I don't think we're there yet.

But definitely kudos to Procharger. You can bet the other manufacturers are scrambling to develop their own solution to this. I love anything that makes my car go faster and is designed and made in the U.S.!

On a separate but similar note, I finally got the go ahead from the Frau to pull the trigger on putting some serious money into my car to road race. I have had every component picked out for over a year. But now that the wife gives me the go ahead, I am no better than a freaking kid in a candy store and can't decide with all the new products coming out. All I do is surf Mustang parts all day.... I guess there are worse ways to spend retirement.

For everyone that didn't live through the last Horsepower / performance race in the 60's/70's.. this is a great time to love cars and to be alive!

PhillyLS1

Established Member
I'll have to disagree with you. I doubt very many people have this supercharger yet, so "actual" reviews are scarce other than bigriff's. The "bad reviews" I've read about have all come from those selling competitor products.

Why would there not be a need for this product? It delivers a PD blower boost curve with the efficiency of a centrifugal blower, and the ability to intercooler with an air-to-air. Best of both worlds.

As for the weight.... I'm not sure. Procharger says that the weight is comparable to a PD blower.

You realize there are other cars out there with these things on them that aren't Mustangs right? LOL

Users who are viewing this thread