Project Icey Reservoir-*WARNING* Lots of DATA

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I am now 100% convinced that this box kicks ass, or should I say freezes ass. :rockon:

After talking to Ryan, the box's designer and builder I made some changes that signifigantly improved it's effectiveness. I removed the stock plastic res for one thing and then re-routed the lines per Ryans suggestion.

The flow path now is as follows:

The IR is now the reservior and from the bottom tube it goes to the I/C pump, from there it goes to the engine intercooler. It leaves the i/c and goes to the drivers' side of the heat exchanger then from the passenger side outlet of the h/e it goes back to the top fitting of the IR where it gets cooled and begins the path anew.

I finally got some adapters to use with my a/c gauges today to check/recheck the freon levels. The level was too low showing ~40 psi on the suction side. I filled it near the midpoint of the operating range for the ambient temp of 97* here which resulted in 60 psi on the suction and 230 psi on the pressure side. You'll see the chart I used included in the pics attatched.

Running in my garage in said 97* ambient air and at operating temperature I turned the a/c on max and the fan on hi. The air from the cab vents measured 71.3* and the intercooler fluid temperature observed was 70.2*-this was AFTER the fluid had gone through the intercooler and then the heat exchanger without any airflow over it!!! The IAT2 temp observed at the same time was 120*-again while idling inside the garage.

As you can see in the pics I also used some foam pipe insulation to cover all the hoses for the I/C system. The capacity of my system is just over 2 gallons and I'm running a bottle of Watter Wetter and maybe a pint of anti freeze as a preventative measure in case the IR temps get really low and begine to freeze the fluid.

I know Steve has completed a run of these and will be ready for orders so get yours while you can, I'm keeping this one!! :coolman:

1fsthd

Established Member
Fade did you happen to try and cover the heat exchanger when you where moving?? I was just curious maybe that might help also.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Bob, do you think insulating the IC lines like that helps keep the temps down by shielding them from the engine bay heat? I've been thinking about putting some sort of thermal insulation on mine but didn't know if it would be benificial...

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
fExactly what I told Ryan to do with the Routing of the lines about a year ago.........mine is still sitting here...waiting to go in....

Bob....what did you use for new hose to reroute everything...

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Haven't blocked off the HE at all yet.

Spencer, I KNOW it helps, my efans kick out SO much blazing hot air that blows right onto the hoses I felt it was mandatory in my application. The insulation will only cost you $8-10 to do the whole circuit.

Stew, the hose I used is just some clear hose with a coarse braid in it, it's $15 for 10' of it at Home Depot. I'll include a pic of before the insulation went on.

*MORE INFO* Just got back from dinner. Ambient temp was 96* according to the cab readout. A/C on MAX, fan on high, the air temp coming out of the vents got down to 59.7* within a 10 minute drive. The IAT2 temps were 102-108* during the same time, all while cruising at 40-50 mph.

On the way home running down the highway, still 94* the IAT2 was 110-114 after a good blast of boost to merge in traffic and then a good pull up to 110mph right before getting off two miles later. The I/C fluid temp measured 74* and falling when I pulled into the garage and popped the hood.

:coolman:

bgstew6

Established Member
Kelw...thanks Bob that was what I was looking to pic up at the Ace/true Value up the street from the house.....

I'D WIN

Established Member
Thx Bob ... sounds like your really getting the most of the system now.

I may end up insulating my system as well. You did good brother!

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
+1 on the flow path change being a great idea. Now the exchanger can drop the temps a bit before getting to the cool resevoir. Also the intercooler will see the coldest possible water for maximum effectiveness.
There should be no need to block off the HE now that these modifications have been made. This setup seems perfect for street action!(at the track I would still use ice).
Jim

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
Quote fade to black
As for track use, I'm not sure about the a/c rule but it would make sense. I did tell Steve that I didn't know if or when I could make a track visit to try that part out so I have no info there.[/QUOTE]

Olny If it pertains to any condensation or leakage onto the track itself....If it did have condensation, Im thinking the inside unit could be insulated to help prevent condensation form the outside. Im sure there are ways to keep leakage off the track to a tray or resevoir. :shrug: Just throwing out thougts...

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
The flow path didn't change, I merely eliminated the stock res and routed the incoming fluid to the IR from the bottom to the top.

There is ZERO condensation/moisture coming off this box.

Today cruising on the highway at 75 mph with an ambient temp of 78* (early in the morning) my IAT2 was 96* steady state.

ecoastkid

Established Member
Is there a way to catch the condensation that will come out of the bottom of the truck?...Wouldnt want to get the guys at the track pissed at me.

bgstew6

Established Member
so you're not cooling the fluid via the HE first and then cooling it by the Res cooler ?

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
This is from one of my above posts Stew, lots to look through I know.

The IR is now the reservior and from the bottom tube it goes to the I/C pump, from there it goes to the engine intercooler. It leaves the i/c and goes to the drivers' side of the heat exchanger then from the passenger side outlet of the h/e it goes back to the top fitting of the IR where it gets cooled and begins the path anew.

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
This is from one of my above posts Stew, lots to look through I know.

That is not the stock flow path. Stock runs from resevoir to exchanger, then into intercooler core. Your flow path is better for an ice box or the AC cooled box.
Jim

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I didn't think I implied that the flow path was stock :shrug:

The h/e actually hurts the performance of the IR since the fluid temps are now below ambient. Covering and or insulating the h/e would help to increase efficiency even more but that would of course render the h/e useless when the a/c is turned off.

Nolimtlightning

Established Member
Some one mentioned early about the lose of Hp due to the air being on, but since this IR is working this good in bring temp down, on a wide open throttle pass like at a track the a/c kicks off anyways, so there would not be a loss of power due to the air being on, but in fact a huge gain in it, plus any type of intercooler spray bar would just add to the effect. Great idea!

Brahmus

SVT Cajun
Established Member
A few more questions.
With the freon levels "corrected" do you feel you've lost some cabin cooling capability after installing the IR vs before? If so (which I would expect some) how noticable is it? You list air coming out of the vents moving/idle but I don't know how to compare them prior to the IR.

No that you have redone the lines etc. It sounds as though you feel it's more effective? Any datalogging done since this to determine just how big a difference between on and off in various senerios.. (I know you did it already but it sounds like these changes may have increased the Delta T)

This, for me, is strictly for DD application. My only other concern is bang for the buck. Is there anyway "anyone" could run a few dyno runs to compare a truck, at operating temperature, with this setup off, then turn it on and allow temps to bottom and pull again? It looks like it helps in heatsoak and keeping the truck consistent, but for me that doesn't mean much.

Thanks again, all of you, for continuing to pioneer products for a truck that's been out of production!

Users who are viewing this thread