Proper launching technique…

ComfortableLiar

Established Member
Like the title says… what's the ideal technique to launch both on the street/strip with street tires and/or DR's/slicks.

I can't seem to find the sweet spot as far as street launches on the stock Pirelli's with my MT82 3.73 geared Brembo 5 liter. Cooler weather is here and I'll be making some strip passes soon, hopefully with sticky tires too. Any tips are much appreciated from you track rats.

burke985

Established Member
I have 3.31's and rev up to about 2500-3000 rpm and let clutch up and floor it after launch. Minimal wheel spin with the falken 454 9.5" 275's on back , any higher than that just spins all through first. Don't exactly answer your question about the 73's its just what I do. The stock pirelli's don't stand a chance with these cars

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Good luck 'launching' on Pirellis. I did get a few 1.8 60's in my SC'd car but that was leaving off idle and never reaching WOT in 1st gear which isn't going to work in your application.

DR's might be a good choice, personally I'm a fan of slicks with a manual but that's more for higher HP cars, radials don't recover very well when you blow them off. Slicks aren't a street tire though so pick your poison.

ComfortableLiar

Established Member
I'm using the term "launching" loosely. My car doesn't get much of any traction in 1st or 2nd from a dig. I'm just looking for the best out of the hole technique. That includes streets and stickies. I've heard mostly that slicks are preferred for manual transmission cars.

atistang

Established Member
on street tires your gonna use more clutch to keep it from spinning

with my stock 3.31 car i leave at about 2k rpms and let the clutch up until it starts to roll then i slowly ease out of it and slowly roll into the throttle

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Go around the water, light burnout to clean off the tires, and leave the lights as if you were leaving a normal traffic light (but a little more aggressively).

05_Evolution

I wish I was fast
Established Member
Bodymore, Murderland (Baltimore, Maryland)
Track with drag radials
Do a 8-10 sec burnout
Rev to 4k
let clutch out while giving it gas
enjoy a 1.6 60 foot

Track with street tires
Go around the water
light burnout to clean off the tires
leave the lights as if you were leaving a normal traffic light (little more aggressively)

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
rev to 2300-2500rpm, slip the clutch for about .75-1 second while pressing the peddle down at the same speed. I get some wheel hop but this is how I've been able to get my best times. My 60's are still only 2.1 but that is the best I can manage. Seems about a good as it gets(atleast at my altitude). Most guys are cutting 2.2-2.3 60's on stock tires(up here). Seen a few in the 2.0's with wider street tires.

Users who are viewing this thread