Pro's and Con's of YOUR setup

zeusha

Established Member
Ok, so i'm thinking of graduating my DD Cobra to a street/DD machine (Meaning I'm not shooting for a drag car) if everyone would be good enough to label their particular setup and explain just a little of what you like and don't like from your setup so I and others can make a first hand educated decision based on REAL life experience with a particular setup. Thanks guys

cbr repsol

Established Member
My setup is perfect for the street dd. Plenty of power to destroy 98% of the cars out there....the con is I want more now..lol

Mods for 552rwhp and 541rwtq:
Whipple 2.3, 60# injectors,3.0 upper only pulley,bap,ba2800,magnaflow catted x pipe with matching catback,Completely stock throttle body and jlt highboost.

Last edited:

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
Since I purchased my Cobra new, I've made changes one small step at a time. There is little I would change other than starting with full length subs first and then begin working on hp mods.

First mod I made was SLP cat back. Loud, but I gained (flame suit on) 51rwhp with it. I know, not typical, but that is what I gained. Then came the SLP x-pipe and K&N. That bumped me up to the 440 rwhp. I added a strut tower brace and noticed a decent change with firmer cornering. Later stepped up to a pulley/tune to bring me at my current numbers. I've taken my car to the track and done road course events keeping it a complete daily driver. I'm in the process of changing out the clutch and input shaft. Honestly, you won't notice much difference in it being a DD.

I forgot to add that I changed my shifter to MGW and a Bob's gasket. Love both and highly recommend each!

I love my Cobra and it has always been the best money I've ever spent.

Last edited by a moderator:

mustang john

Established Member
I roll on bigs and littles with a roll bar in the car, its setup so all I have to do is hit the track and bolt on the slicks and race. The biggest con of my setup would be the feel of my detroit locker on the street, biggest pro is its a street car that is wheels up at the track.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is a very good thread. The more who post their setup/comments the better those looking for "their" best setup will fare in the future.

Dwight, I had to chuckle at your comment about you having enough power to destroy 98% of the cars out there, but....you want more! :lol1: Well, with 552/541 I'd say you should be very content. Yeah, right! Terminator owners are NEVER content with the power on hand. :rockon:

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
I agree cbr repsol and Bob, we always want more power. I've got the craving for more right now as well, but that will have to wait until next year. I think you stop adding power when traction becomes the issue and it isn't fun to drive so much any more. I'll stop just shy of that. :)

Damn, the more I think, the more I realize I made other changes. I also added a BF Dif Cover Brace. I've seen too many covers break at the track and have yet to hear of anyone breaking one with this brace installed. I think that is a must IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

rudycobra

Established Member
Full tilt boogie bushing kit , McLeod 26 spline rxt , Posi ported with dragon 4 lb/ 2.8 combo . Bassani x with no cats and magnaflow mufflers . Tons of other Lil things but I love it and deff one of the fastest street setups around me . Ran a friends brand new stock zr1 sat nite from 3 rd gear roll and was even till hit 4th then he pulled me bout 1 1/2 cars . Its just a weekend warrior but could easily b daily driven . No cons except that after we raced I got to drive and run the zr1 ! Maked my cars clutch and tranny feel like shit ! But I love my setup !

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The thing is, it is just too easy to make big power with these cars. You could easily build a solid 475rwhp street ride (with intake, ported TB, pulley, tune, idlers, catback, midpipe) for under $3,000. and that would include suspension supporting mods like an IRS brace and FTBR IRS bushing kit. But then you have the options of long tube headers, larger/wider wheels and tires for increased traction, lowering springs, shifter, and on and on and on. Ported Eaton vs. twin-screw is another one. Everybody has their own idea of what is the optimal street, street/strip, track setup.

It's just nice to be able to look at a few setups in this thread and read what the owners like or don't like about their particular setup. :thumbsup:

moot09

Established Member
Pros-
-Will be able to finally boost 5th and 6th without worry. (.20 over Diamonds)
-Handle most of anything I want to throw at it.
-Had a 5-angle valve job done, along with the head tick fix while the previous owner had it. So no worries there.
-CORN CORN CORN!
Cons-
-Stock rods, so if I ever want to go 8-900+ those will be my weak point
-Stock blower, so baby boost for now:(
-Wish I had done more head and valvetrain work...

zeusha

Established Member
(cbr repsol) Def true lol. How much power is enough for a terminator? The car reacts so well to power that it feels at home at most power levels. (809) I was looking at your setup and thats what I was thinking upgrading my stock blower and some bolt ons and see how the car feels but thats why I started this thread so I dont have to do that to test it, basically you guys are telling me how it feels already.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
(809) I was looking at your setup and thats what I was thinking upgrading my stock blower and some bolt ons and see how the car feels but thats why I started this thread so I dont have to do that to test it, basically you guys are telling me how it feels already.

I think you are going to be very happy with those mods I mentioned. To be honest, I enjoy making mods one step at a time so that I can get used to the car and the hp it makes. I've never owned a car over 300hp, so I am cautious when it comes to making big improvements. Too easy to be over confident in this car. I'm glad you started this thread as others have tried a few different things and others have changes that are on my list in the near future. Good info for all.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
setup 2.3 whipple/ POSI ported TB / 60lb inj / BAP / Killer Chiller / 2.8 RR upper 19psi / stock longblock 580rwhp on 17* timing & a pig rich AFR of 10.8
600+ would be easy with more timing & less fuel.

mine is very streetable at approx 570-580rwhp as long as DRs are on the rear. Even with DR's 1st & 2nd can become useless if desired.

PROs - I enjoy from about 20mph to about 100mph the best, also when it becomes necessary to pass, as I get just about even with the car I'm passing to hammer it....and see the acceleration compared to the other car that looks like its sitting still.... Cons - every time I get in my car, requires a visit to the gas station.

Last edited:

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
Pro's: All the upgrade are great. H/P, sound and suspension, looks.

Con's: The hassle every two years to pass emissions here in Colorado. Stock mid pipe, safe tune, E-85 to get the NOX readings in line. Sucks!!!!

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Guys, since we all know signatures are fluid, give a brief overview in the post of what setup you have at the time of posting.

My setup: Mach 1 SRA with 3.55s, 2.76 upper, catback and midpipe, STB, JLT intake, tune for 93

Pros:
-Good power for the money ($2500 or less since I swapped the IRS for the 8.8 and exhaust), car made 459/482, or +59/+107 over stock
-Makes the car very fun and combines both good top end and low end
-plethora of aftermarket parts for the 8.8 and relatively cheaper to "beef up" over the IRS

Cons
-SVTP unjustly hates on us SRA folks talking about how we are dragstrip warriors who's antiquated methods are destined to die a death worse than Amy Winehouse
-Little headroom past my numbers. Ports/lowers will add additional heat which may need addressing, you will need more fuel (BAP, pumps), more air flow (MAF, MAFia), and better monitoring (boost gauge, hilton overlay)
-Suspension mods not done to fully enjoy the SRA.

I still need FLSCFs, lower control arms, and to install my Maximum Motorsports 3-link kit, at which point I will put my suspension/ride quality/traction against any prepped IRS on an 03/04 Cobra out there.

The other problem is the amount of "safety" mods you need to make your car reliable and quick (which we know by the old adage won't be cheap). Widebands, subframe connectors, proper monitoring of the intercooler pump, IAT2s, etc leaves a lot of "prep work" that should be done before getting crazy serious with the horsepower.

As for setups, no matter what your long term goals with the car, everyone should have:
-Wideband
-proper boost gauge/overlay
-good tires!
-robust suspension (can be more setup specific)

I never understand the people who make 600-650 HP and run nothing but FLSFCs and a FTBR bushings kit with some 315s and wonder why they can't get traction or post about the cars they could beat if they hooked. Again I am a street warrior, so lighter weight and more useable power is more appealing to me.

Last edited:

zeusha

Established Member
I think you are going to be very happy with those mods I mentioned. To be honest, I enjoy making mods one step at a time so that I can get used to the car and the hp it makes. I've never owned a car over 300hp, so I am cautious when it comes to making big improvements. Too easy to be over confident in this car. I'm glad you started this thread as others have tried a few different things and others have changes that are on my list in the near future. Good info for all.
:beer:

zeusha

Established Member
I never understand the people who make 600-650 HP and run nothing but FLSFCs and a FTBR bushings kit with some 315s and wonder why they can't get traction or post about the cars they could beat if they hooked. Again I am a street warrior, so lighter weight and more useable power is more appealing to me.
+1 ma man

cbr repsol

Established Member
Dwight, I had to chuckle at your comment about you having enough power to destroy 98% of the cars out there, but....you want more! :lol1: Well, with 552/541 I'd say you should be very content. Yeah, right! Terminator owners are NEVER content with the power on hand. :rockon:

yeah ...it a disease. Im already used to the power and anything less seems sub-par. Im going e85 in january...going to be adding: lethal return fuel system,sbtb,80's or 105 injectors and pullied for 21 psi. Should be right around 680-700rwhp

Users who are viewing this thread