pros/cons off road H-pipe vs catted H-pipe?

white88lx

Established Member
in my opinion the technology is so good that with cats with you dont loose noticeable power so the real difference between them is the tone that you get from the exhaust. Also depending on how much performance you are going for and the amount of drag racing with race gas and etc you may go thru cats quicker than you would like too. my .02 is just save the headaches and go with off road, sounds bad ass and dont have to worry about burning ur cats if you have a 2 step and wot and run race gas.

also have to acknowledge the fact that depending on the state emmisions may be more strict on visibility

IA Shelby

Established Member
Thanks for the response. What companies make an off-road h-pipe for 2011-2012 GT500? Recommendations?

I am aware of MBRP. I can't see that MRT does it for a 2011.

Last edited:

IA Shelby

Established Member
Appreciate the response. Will the MRT or PHRP pipe fit the 2011 due to the changes in exhaust vs the 2010 model. I didn't think they would fit.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
People seem to have a hard time finding an exhaust sound they like with a catless pipe...that's about the only downside. If you are near stock, cats are fine.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
It's an easy fix to tone down the noise with o/r pipe. Add a 2nd pair of mufflers or add resonnators on the catback that way you won't lose any flow but tone it down.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback.

Engine is stock currently. Planning on tune/pulley at a minimum but leaning towards TVS.

I have roush axelbacks today. They sound good and are pretty loud for just an axelback. I like the sound most of the time but don't care for the "glass pack" sound at 3/4-WOT. Just not my preference.

So I am trying to keep the same volume if not increase it a bit but get rid of the glass pack sound.

Being new to this stuff, from what I have read a larger aftermarket H-pipe would help along with a chambered muffler.

I just don't know if a catted H with a chambered muffler will give me the volume or if an offroad will be too much.

Then there is the issue of finding an axelback that will fit a 3inch aftermarket H pipe. Otherwise mods will be needed to get it to fit most axelbacks.

Thanks

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
JBA makes a 3" system. I'm running their 3" offroad system (x-pipe) and when I get my car back from the failed alternator, I'll make a sound clip. I have a set of used SVT-1 mufflers that I may try but I'll just need a muffler shop to put a 3" inlet on them.

Users who are viewing this thread