Prospective '99 TT Build

pbeechner

Established Member
Hey guys! Wanted to get peoples' thoughts/advice/suggestions on my build plan. I should put the disclaimer
out there that this is a plan, not a reality, and I should be able to get started by pulling the motor and tranny
in January - so still a ways off obviously. I'm saving now and I expect the build to last at least a year and a
half, maybe more. I think I'd rather make gradual progress than save up all the cash and do it all at once.
I am mechanically inclined, but I have never rebuilt a motor before, so I think for my first build I'm going
to let professionals build the shortblock...
I've been doing plenty of research and this is where I have ended up as a parts list.

Motor:

MMR StreetMod 1000S 5.0L stroker shortblock
ARP hardware throughout the block
Upgraded oil and water pumps
Larger 7qt oilpan
MMR Turbo Cams
MMR Head porting
Manley Springs
MMR 900 Return Style Fuel System
80lb Siemens Injectors
Ported Lower intake and Stock Upper with EGR Delete

Brakes:

Baer Six Piston Upgrade Kit for Front Brakes

Suspension:

MM Full Length Subframe Connectors
MM 8 point rollcage with swing-out door bars
Tokico Adjustable Gas Shocks and Struts
H&R Race Springs
MM Caster/Camber Plates
FTBR Full IRS Bushing Kit
FTBR Bumpsteer Kit
FTBR Swaybar End Kit

Seats:

Two Corbeau A4 Seats
MMR Rear Seat Delete Kit

Tranny and Drivetrain:

Pro-Motion prepped T-45 (Nevermind. Lol May need the built T-56) Not interested in an automatic
Spec Stage 5 Clutch with Aluminumn Flywheel
DSS 900hp Aluminum Driveshaft
3.55 Rear End Gears
FTBR Reinforced FR Diff Cover
IRS Girdle
'99 Cobra Level 5 Halfshafts with Chromoly inner CV

Turbos:

HP Performance TT Kit with 67mm EDIT 57mm Ball Bearing Upgrade
Includes Tubular K-member
Including Manual Boost Controller

**Not sure what throttle body or MAF to go with. Any suggestions??**

It should also be noted that I am not considering going SRA. I love my IRS and this is not going to be a
drag strip queen.

I would really appreciate any input you guys have! I know there are plenty more experienced guys than me out there! I'm trying to get there safely and I would rather overbuild than underbuild and break something.

Gonna be shooting for 900RWHP. I think I can get there safely with this setup. :banana:

Last edited:

war_machine92

Banned
MOTOR,,,,,,,,,,,

motor1.jpg

ENGINE,,,,,,,,,

engine1.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
I would go with a slot style MAF. Either an SCT BA5000 or PMAS. When you say upgraded water pump are you referring to an electric water pump? Since you're going all out I would consider using a Boss 5.0 block. That bore plus a stroker crank will give you 323ci. It's easier to get power with a bigger motor.

pbeechner

Established Member
I would go with a slot style MAF. Either an SCT BA5000 or PMAS. When you say upgraded water pump are you referring to an electric water pump? Since you're going all out I would consider using a Boss 5.0 block. That bore plus a stroker crank will give you 323ci. It's easier to get power with a bigger motor.

Yeah, I was thinking electric water pump. The reason I didn't think of going for the 5.0 block is that I really liked the idea of keeping my teksid block and the biggest I could go with the regular teksid was 305ci.

Last edited:

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
twin 67's will make for a semi shitty street car....
also that trans is going to explode
also if you are dead set of going twin 67mm that 900 fuel system is going to be tapped at low boost

pbeechner

Established Member
twin 67's will make for a semi shitty street car....
also that trans is going to explode
also if you are dead set of going twin 67mm that 900 fuel system is going to be tapped at low boost

Well, I figured twin 67s may be too large to be enjoyable on the street, I still want to ensure that I meet my power goals, I suppose the next option would be the twin 57s or 60s.

As far as the transmission, I wanted to get pro-motion's highest prepped t-45 but the other, more costly option is a T-56.

You think the twin pumps on the mmr system would max before 850-900?

This is exactly why I posted! Definitely people with a ton more knowledge than me! :beer:

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
with twin 67's you are going to destroy a stock T56....you are going to want a T56 magnum...and a large return fuel setup. I have a single 76mm turbo and went with a th400 so the car would be fast and consistant. I also spent 2k in fuel system parts to protect my investment.

pbeechner

Established Member
with twin 67's you are going to destroy a stock T56....you are going to want a T56 magnum...and a large return fuel setup. I have a single 76mm turbo and went with a th400 so the car would be fast and consistant. I also spent 2k in fuel system parts to protect my investment.

Yep, I was thinking the T56 magnum. The t-45 was one of those things I was not sure about. As for the fuel system, the mmr 900 system looked convenient for me because it includes tank, pumps, lines, rails, etc. and is claimed to hold 900hp. I'm not going to be cheap about this build and if I need more fuel, I'll get more fuel. As far as the transmission goes, I'm not interested in an auto, even though autos are faster than manuals.

Thanks!

01yellercobra

Established Member
Don't forget to take the cars intended use into consideration for the transmission. If it's not going to see 4k clutch dumps on a regular basis you might be ok with a T-56 with the 26 spline upgrade. My stock 3650 lived behind 550hp because I just drove on the street. It didn't clutch dumps or anything like that.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
With a stock T56 and IRS i think this is going to be a dyno queen build, With Twin 67's and a stick its going to be a dog, hit boost and spin

pbeechner

Established Member
Ok, it will be street driven, and will see track days. I will go with a smaller turbo. I'd rather not have a ton of lag and then spin. I realize it is hard to get to a nicely driveable TT but I'll get smaller turbos to help with spooling. T-56 Magnum and 57s will be the way to go I think then.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Didn't Cobra Mac's old turbo Corba make 850 on twin 57's?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Yeah, I was thinking electric water pump. The reason I didn't think of going for the 5.0 block is that I really liked the idea of keeping my teksid block and the biggest I could go with the regular teksid was 305ci.

Pass on the water pump and cams. The EWP free's up little power and the stock cams have enough duration for more power than your car can handle.

A single 76 will spool quick with stock cams and be less costly than a twin setup. The only reason to go twin is if a single can't provide enough air.

Last edited:

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Lol! 67's and t45! Not gonna happen.

One 67 is enough to tear apart a t45.

You can hit high 800's with twin 50's....turbo size has nothing to do with the impact the power will have on the driveline...How about t45, not gonna happen on a turbo, stroker car, period.

With that being said, HP is crap. Go with an HPP twin kit and do it right. That build is around 20,000 between start and rolling on the street again, whats another 2 grand towards an extremely well crafted turbo set up?

Last edited:

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Ok, it will be street driven, and will see track days. I will go with a smaller turbo. I'd rather not have a ton of lag and then spin. I realize it is hard to get to a nicely driveable TT but I'll get smaller turbos to help with spooling. T-56 Magnum and 57s will be the way to go I think then.

This is about as fast as youd ever want a street car IMO...

Twin Turbo 01 Cobra StangRacing - YouTube

Also, dont be so quick to jump on the magnum band wagon. Do your own research and dont just assume its the end all be all. They may be robust in some areas, but they are lacking in others. Try calling Jason at Texas Drivetrain Performance and discuss the custom T56 I just had built. He'll know the one youre talking about lol. The only 32 spline T56 cobra on the planet :rockon:

Last edited:

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
A promotion t45 will handle quite a bit of power. You could successfully run 600-700 hp on their race prepped transmission. But im not going to get in between everyone here that jumped on the fact you said t45 and feel like its a piece of shit. Also promotion is phasing out their t45 due to recieving parts slowly since they are an old transmission. There are other and better options for your set up though being the ones mentioned above. Also sorry to say this, since you say youre not interested, but you wont see full potential of your turbo set up with a manual.

Users who are viewing this thread