PSA PA-15?

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Yeah, I only want one to play around with at the range, but the whole panic buying put that on hold. Once everyone calms down, I'll go back to browsing.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Yeah, I only want one to play around with at the range, but the whole panic buying put that on hold. Once everyone calms down, I'll go back to browsing.

Looks like PSA still has complete uppers and lowers in stock, as well as complete guns. Prices are still right too. Ammo is of concern however. I'm looking hard at the CMMG 22lr conversion for mine since I have so much 22 in the safe to plink with.

Machdup1

Established Member
Looks like PSA still has complete uppers and lowers in stock, as well as complete guns. Prices are still right too. Ammo is of concern however. I'm looking hard at the CMMG 22lr conversion for mine since I have so much 22 in the safe to plink with.
Go with a dedicated upper. I have two AR-22’s, my Service Rifle trainer and a Suppressed AR-22 with a pistol brace. They are stupid fun.

sleek98

Established Member
Ended up ordering one, we will see if it gets fulfilled.

Also had a friend put in an order for a P320 as well.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Go with a dedicated upper. I have two AR-22’s, my Service Rifle trainer and a Suppressed AR-22 with a pistol brace. They are stupid fun.

What would be the benefit to going with a dedicated upper vs the drop in conversion bcg? I've been into handguns for years but I'm new to the AR world.

Machdup1

Established Member
What would be the benefit to going with a dedicated upper vs the drop in conversion bcg? I've been into handguns for years but I'm new to the AR world.

Same here

In a word, accuracy.

A 22lR bullet has a diameter of .223. A .223 bullet has a diameter of .224. As such, if you shoot a bullet that is .001 smaller than your barrel is designed for, you give up accuracy.

The second problem is barrel twist rate. For the light .22lr bullets, 1:12-1:16 twist barrels seem to work best; however, most AR’s are in the 1:7-1:9 range which over spins the bullet.

However, if you don’t care if your groups open up a little bit and you don’t want a $1000.00 .22LR, the conversions might be your best option.

My last reason for having a dedicated 22LR upper was to address a legal concern. The Commonwealth was about to ban all center fire AR’s this year. A dedicated rimfire upper would have allowed me to tell them to go **** themselves and a conversion kit would have failed that test. LOL.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Another great option is the M&P 15-22.

Dedicated rifle, not a "true" AR, but takes all the regular AR furniture and accessories. Should run better then most conversions.

Screenshot_20200326-100057.jpeg

Also,. 22lr is great for plinking and training new shooters proper mechanics and safety. It's not going to be a serious substitute for your actual tool of choice however.

Recoil, weapon weight, bullet drop, etc (even sound) will all dramatically impact your abilities.

Same goes for light load pinker ammo vs. Self defense ammo. Shooting 200rds of 38sp doesn't prep you for that hot 357 Magnum you want to carry for self defense.

SHOdown220

Established Member
In a word, accuracy.

A 22lR bullet has a diameter of .223. A .223 bullet has a diameter of .224. As such, if you shoot a bullet that is .001 smaller than your barrel is designed for, you give up accuracy.

The second problem is barrel twist rate. For the light .22lr bullets, 1:12-1:16 twist barrels seem to work best; however, most AR’s are in the 1:7-1:9 range which over spins the bullet.

However, if you don’t care if your groups open up a little bit and you don’t want a $1000.00 .22LR, the conversions might be your best option.

My last reason for having a dedicated 22LR upper was to address a legal concern. The Commonwealth was about to ban all center fire AR’s this year. A dedicated rimfire upper would have allowed me to tell them to go **** themselves and a conversion kit would have failed that test. LOL.

Great insight thank you for sharing. I'm not real concerned with accuracy on the 22 conversion as it would mostly be used for plinking and having fun. But honestly at some of these prices I'm seeing for like the M&P 22 i might just shell out a few extra bucks and have another complete gun. Can't ever have too many!

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Looks like you already purchased. I run a PSA AR pistol as my duty rifle. It's been great. I've made additions and modifications to suit my needs but the base AR ran fine.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...eight-m-lok-classic-sob-pistol-516447162.html

I added a Sheriff of Baghdad U loop sling, BCM trigger guard and grip mod 3, Aero Precision ambidextrous charging handle, Magpul Gen 2 MBUS and an EOTech XPS2-0.

klb2sweet

Established Member
I live right down the road from them and always buy from them. Shot 1000’s of rounds through mine with no issues. Just don’t buy accessories from them as they are super expensive

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I built a premium ar with Palmetto State Armory parts on a Spikes lower 10 years ago and it has been flawless. I shoot all kinds of ammo including a ton of steel cased stuff through it unlike my Daniel Defense. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again on another build.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Game on!!!

Too bad ammo is scarce right now cuz trust me you will want to feed that bitch after you get a taste of her

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Game on!!!

Too bad ammo is scarce right now cuz trust me you will want to feed that bitch after you get a taste of her
Not only scarce, but everyone is limiting purchases. Academy had a 5 unit limit when I was there yesterday. So, I got a 100 round box of 9mm and four 20 round boxes of 5 56 in brass (only found steel case at first, but found these a little later).

I've got some green tips arriving from PSA today.

Going to swing by Bass Pro to pick up a Sightmark laser boresighter so I don't waste a bunch of rounds sighting in the red dot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread