Pulley with no tune.....

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I am looking to get a used gt500, and have noticed several CPO cars that are "stock" but obviously have pulley/tensioner on them. However, they don't have a tuner on them. That leads me to believe that the intake/tune were sold prior to trade in/sale, but the pulley is there because the stock pulley is f'd once you change it. I was wondering if the car was safe to drive without the tune. Not necessarily for me, because I would have it tuned, but for other people that have driven the car. I don't want to buy a cpo car and have to tune it immediatley, and void the cpo when I order a lund tune and intake.

I know this question is kind of vaginal, but I just don't want to get f'd if i don't order a tune/intake right away, or even if I do.

Looking forward to joining the gang soon :) I will miss AWD untill I pick up a 997tt or a GTR ;) Besides, If I part out the "racecar" I could have a big blower. I just don't want my shortblock to be thrashed because someone beat on it w/o a tune, or I potentially could for a bit (would love to order the VMP TVS after a while)

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I don't know what "CPO car" means, but any GT500 that has a pulley on it with no tune should be avoided like a hooker with an atoms apple. Unless your into that sort of thing of course, then just avoid the GT500's with pullies and no tune....

There's no telling how long the car has been pullied without the tune, who drove it, how many times its been driven and what kind of damage has been done.
The stock pulley is not "f'ed" once you change it as long is removed properly so I'm not sure where your getting your info from. If someone was going to return a car to stock, there's really no reason not to switch the pullies back as well.
The other problem is that if the car is tuned, but no longer has the tuner with it, you pretty much lose the stock tune and won't be able to get it back. So if there's ever a problem or you want to return it to stock, you'll have to have your tuner make you a new base tune to revert to.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
My car had a 2.6" pulley when I bought it @ 740 miles. It also had a Ford Racing CAI and FRPP tune. The tune was NOT intended for the smaller pulley. The engine ran fine (not optimized, but no knock or detonation detected at WOT, but I immediately bought a new tune from Justin at VMP.

The car is more potent now, and I'm not worried about the engine anymore.

Last edited:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
CPO is Certified Pre-Owned from Ford. The cars come with a 6yr, 100k warranty. The 2008 I was looking at had the pullies, and a lot of other small mods that lead me to suspect that it surely had the tune as well. However, the dealership said a tuner did not come with the car, and it had the stock intake, so I figured they were removed and sold after the tune was put back to stock. I guess changing the pulley back to stock might have been cost prohibitive if the original owner had to have a shop do it.
Thanks for the info guys :)

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If the tuner had been sold without the car then your tune should be..and I stress should be fine. It means it might have actually been tuned previously. If though they installed the pulley without tuning that is another story. -Shane

Slabo

Established Member
CPO is Certified Pre-Owned from Ford. The cars come with a 6yr, 100k warranty. The 2008 I was looking at had the pullies, and a lot of other small mods that lead me to suspect that it surely had the tune as well. However, the dealership said a tuner did not come with the car, and it had the stock intake, so I figured they were removed and sold after the tune was put back to stock. I guess changing the pulley back to stock might have been cost prohibitive if the original owner had to have a shop do it.
Thanks for the info guys :)

So you are saying the car was put back to stock except the smaller pulley was left on? Wow. I feel for anyone who buys this car and doesn't know otherwise...

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I thought in order to be a certified pre-owned vehicle it had to go through a very strict check and had to be returned to completely stock if modified???
I would think that if the dealership was going to warranty the car, they would return the stock pulley at least. I mean really, when the car was new, it would have voided the warranty, so why would they warranty it afterward????
Somethings off about this, are you sure its even an aftermarket pulley?

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
See as it has guages like the supersnake. I'm wondering if it had a aftermarket blower. Then when traded in put "stock" blower back on to recoupe funds.
Also intercooler tank has pink fluid not gold that came stock. So looks to be changed. Maybe has a aftermarket heat exchanger as well.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Here is the car via Ford's cpo page
FordDirectCPO.com
Here is the link to the dealers site with more pics. You can clearly see a metco pulley and idler ;)
2008 Red Ford Mustang Car 1ZVHT88S185151259 in Fort Worth at Texas Motors Ford

Pretty sure that's not stock, but I appreciate the vote of confidence. :)

I wasn't trying to offend you dude, I just can't believe that Ford would "re-warranty" a car that would have been voided in its original warranty...
Either way, I guess if their willing to warranty EVERYTHING and you can get a good deal on it, what do you have to lose? If its tuned already your good to go and you get a few good mods WITH a warranty, that's a win/win. If its not tuned, its under warrany any way so if damage is done your good to go.
If the price is right and they're is no fine print in the warrany deal, then I don't see a reason not to buy it.

Colleton

Established Member
My car had a 2.6" pulley when I bought it @ 740 miles. It also had a Ford Racing CAI and FRPP tune. The tune was NOT intended for the smaller pulley. The engine ran fine (not optimized, but no knock or detonation detected at WOT, but I immediately bought a new tune from Justin at VMP.

The car is more potent now, and I'm not worried about the engine anymore.

I spoke to Justin about this when I was getting ready to trade the 09 in on the 11. I was going to remove the FRPP CAI, along with the VMP pulley and tune from the 09 before trading it in, and was curious as to whether I could re-use the 2.6" pulley on the 11.

I asked him if pitting his 2.6" pulley on the 11 without a tune would hurt the car. He replied that I would see a little more boost with the smaller pulley, but not as much as I would see with an optimized tune, and that it wouldn't hurt the engine.

So, regarding the OP, I don't think the pulley itself would be an issue if the stock tune is loaded, but in this case you don't know what tune is in the car. I'd either want to put the engine back to stock ASAP (incl. a stock tune), or find a GOOD tuner that could ensure the car is tuned properly.

I ended up trading the 09 with the intake, pulley and tune installed. I gave the SCT to the dealership along with instructions to make sure the eventual new owner got it. I didn't want whoever ended up buying it to have to worry about this sort of thing.

Van@RevanRacing

I spoke to Justin about this when I was getting ready to trade the 09 in on the 11. I was going to remove the FRPP CAI, along with the VMP pulley and tune from the 09 before trading it in, and was curious as to whether I could re-use the 2.6" pulley on the 11.

I asked him if pitting his 2.6" pulley on the 11 without a tune would hurt the car. He replied that I would see a little more boost with the smaller pulley, but not as much as I would see with an optimized tune, and that it wouldn't hurt the engine.

So, regarding the OP, I don't think the pulley itself would be an issue if the stock tune is loaded, but in this case you don't know what tune is in the car. I'd either want to put the engine back to stock ASAP (incl. a stock tune), or find a GOOD tuner that could ensure the car is tuned properly.

I ended up trading the 09 with the intake, pulley and tune installed. I gave the SCT to the dealership along with instructions to make sure the eventual new owner got it. I didn't want whoever ended up buying it to have to worry about this sort of thing.

All Good Points. Key thing to remember with the 2011 versus a 2007-2009.

The 2011 already has a CAI and it measures A/F and has Knock Sensors. Air/Fuel is new in 2011.

2007-2009 came from the factory with an air box as most all of us know however the stock air box with a 2.6 upper pulley will max out the MAF meter.

So if the 2007-2009 has a CAI and a 2.6 Pulley and no tuner with the car the best bet would be to address what the car has on it and get a tune for what you have. $400-$500 for a tune and a tuner to make sure the car is safe regardless of a CPO is cheap insurance for an engine.

In fact, I would use that as part of my negotiations, just a thought.

Good luck with the new wheels....

Van

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Besides, If I part out the "racecar" I could have a big blower.

So what does that race car run anyway?:lol1:

FYI, a local dealer has us go over most of their used GT500s that come in on trade. Sometimes they get de-modded, sometimes, we just verify the tune and work done on the car. Haven't seen a single car with any major issues.
Used Terminators, now that's another story. :dw:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
So what does that race car run anyway?:lol1:

FYI, a local dealer has us go over most of their used GT500s that come in on trade. Sometimes they get de-modded, sometimes, we just verify the tune and work done on the car. Haven't seen a single car with any major issues.
Used Terminators, now that's another story. :dw:

LOL Whats up girl!
Ya, that is why I put that in quotes. I really only wanted to keep it for standing mile duty, so I think a bigger blower on a Shelby would bring me more enjoyment.
I go pick up my new ride tomorrow, so I will stop by the shop this week :)

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
All Good Points. Key thing to remember with the 2011 versus a 2007-2009.

The 2011 already has a CAI and it measures A/F and has Knock Sensors. Air/Fuel is new in 2011.

2007-2009 came from the factory with an air box as most all of us know however the stock air box with a 2.6 upper pulley will max out the MAF meter.

So if the 2007-2009 has a CAI and a 2.6 Pulley and no tuner with the car the best bet would be to address what the car has on it and get a tune for what you have. $400-$500 for a tune and a tuner to make sure the car is safe regardless of a CPO is cheap insurance for an engine.

In fact, I would use that as part of my negotiations, just a thought.

Good luck with the new wheels....

Van

Thanks for the info Van.
I am going a different route, and will surely start a new thread tomorrow when I get home form picking it up :) It's an attention "grabber" ;)

Users who are viewing this thread