Pulley?

roushcobra03

Established Member
Has anyone seen these yet? would there be any benefit to doing these? I see this style on a lot of drag strip and older blower cars.
mtbcg1.jpg
mtbcg2.jpg

ghostrydyr

Established Member
dammnnn

Nice set up. Where do buy the kit? How much $$? Talk about non slip pullies! Oh yeah I guess the alternator pulley has to be replaced to.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've read about this setup elsewhere but can't remember exactly where. Not cheap. But a nice system.

jleews6

Established Member
Nice setup but I wonder how long the belts would last on the street. I remember back when I had 5.0s with blowers that the coged setups can be tuff on the blower over time.:shrug:

Randall

Established Member
It's the MOTOBLUE™ ZERO SLIP™ COG-BELT™ Blower Pulley System available at http://www.rpmoutlet.com for $850.00. It's actually a Gilmer drive system.

Better ask some of the more knowledgeable people on here about it though, I've read that there must be some inherent belt slip otherwise things start to break on the blower.

03slvrcobra

Heat Soaked
Established Member
I think i've seen that setup on Rpmoutlet.com....Kit is $850.00 for everything...Pretty sweet setup!!!

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I beleive our blower likes a little bit of belt slip...or needs some. From my understanding, the snout can rip off under the constant direct stress, or a sudden jolt, due to no slip what so ever. I would also think, that with a system like that, the belt doesnt have to be no wheres near as tight as they do now, so that would actually put less stress on the snout. I dunno...let someone run that system on the eaton, for a year, and if it works out well, i'd get it. The sound on that thing must be insain!!!!

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I've been thinking about this and I think it would either work really well, or the belt would skip off the pulley. But you could create a pulley much like the non-slips that would work with the gatorback belts. Those belts have grooves that run the lengh of the belt (obviously) plus grooves that run ad a diaganol (looks like about 10 degrees or so). You could create a pulley that would grap those diaganol grooves, and it would work much like a cog setup. However with the grooves being diaganol it may just cause the belt to jump off.

Thoughts?

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Doug you think its too much for the snout to handle? I thought that too, but wouldnt a system like that mean that the belt could be a little bit less tight vs the standard system which needs the belt to be tighter?

Randall

Established Member
Originally posted by dougwg
install then count the days till you need a new blower... :rolleyes:

Any explanation as to "why" for your statement?

Gilmer drives have been used for years and years on blowers, both centrifugal and roots type, is there some significant change or difference on the Eaton that makes it more susceptible to snout damage than on any of the other blowers?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Last edited:

TargeT

Established Member
Originally posted by Randall
Any explanation as to "why" for your statement?

Gilmer drives have been used for years and years on blowers, both centrifugal and roots type, is there some significant change or difference on the Eaton that makes it more susceptible to snout damage than on any of the other blowers?

Enquiring minds want to know!

what he said

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
You guys are way off base.

The big load (potential for slip) comes during hard acceleration.

On a mod motor these things are not needed unless your looking at a 10.0 or quicker car.

It's the bling factor and false perceptions that drive these type of products. I'm not saying not to buy one. Just understand that your current setups from Ford is ample for 95% of the mod motor cars and trucks.

Rich

Randall

Established Member
Originally posted by wydopnthrtl
You guys are way off base.

The big load (potential for slip) comes during hard acceleration.

On a mod motor these things are not needed unless your looking at a 10.0 or quicker car.

It's the bling factor and false perceptions that drive these type of products. I'm not saying not to buy one. Just understand that your current setups from Ford is ample for 95% of the mod motor cars and trucks.

Rich

Mr. FEAD I like bling (at least under the hood) I also love the sound of a Gilmer drive at high speed, but you have not necessarily answered the question "Is a slight amount of belt slip required for the Eaton supercharger that is installed on the 4.6 DOHC?".

If a slight amount of slip is required, then this system (Gilmer) in the long run would be a total disaster and we should continue with the ribbed drive?

Yes? No? Maybe?

jimh

Established Member
A little "potential" belt slip is good for longevity. It's the sudden acceleration and decelleration that is going to break the blower, not the tension. Think about up and down shifts. Those gear driven rotors aren't going to like the hard shocks. The blower wasn't designed for it.

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Originally posted by jimh
A little "potential" belt slip is good for longevity. It's the sudden acceleration and decelleration that is going to break the blower, not the tension. Think about up and down shifts. Those gear driven rotors aren't going to like the hard shocks. The blower wasn't designed for it.

Agreed!

dougwg

Established Member
Originally posted by Randall
"Is a slight amount of belt slip required for the Eaton supercharger that is installed on the 4.6 DOHC?".
YES

If a slight amount of slip is required, then this system (Gilmer) in the long run would be a total disaster and we should continue with the ribbed drive?
CORRECT!

sam

Established Member
i know someone who made his own cog pulleys for his b&m blown 83 gt. when he got on it one day , it completly broke the water pump snot in half. this in turn launch the flex fan as well. its a complete mess under the hood all to reduce belt slip that in most part did not even exist. if something go's wrong during a run, i think allittle belt slip is good insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread