Purchasing my first tuner and cold air intake ?

rm2092

Established Member
I have a 2012 GT auto with mods that include Flowmaster series 40 axle back
exhaust and resonator delete and don't plan on doing any more exhaust mods or modding the motor then what it is. So with all that I'm looking at Steeda's CAI and there tuner combo, is there anything I should know before ordering ?
Sorry for another tuner post, I have read so many I'm a bit confused again that's why this one is Steeda specific.
Thanks...

pohnjarker

Established Member
i did the same thing, bought the tuner/intake as a kit. if i could go back and do it over knowing what i do now...i wouldnt.

i like my stock box but if i really wanted an intake, id find a used one.

then, i'd find the cheapest route to get an SCT hand held tuner and an AED tune.

ETA: steeda specific just means that the intake is steeda brand and the tunes on the SCT are done by steeda. you can put any tune you want onto the SCT, its just a transfer agent.

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I would try and find a "used" programmer from someone that sold their car. Either locked or unlocked, doesn't matter. Either way, you will pay less than retail, and it's not like those things wear out or are excessively used.

I know someone local to me (North Texas) that is selling a locked SCT. IDK if he is willing to ship it, but you're welcome to his name and number. Just PM me.

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
I would go with the JLT intake "NEW"
SCT X3 with a can tune "NEW"
Why new? You know what was done to it, you know its not broken you dont have to go and spend more money on a locked SCT to un lock it.. Get it new...

PM me if you have any questions on where to get the new parts...

neatofrito1618

Established Member
I bought my JLT used for $140 and a Bama tuner for under $360(after the forum discount.) I don't regret anything.

The Bama tunes are meh, I'm sure I would definitely gain more with an AED tune but Shaun wants something like $600-650 to buy a loaded tuner so it all evens out in the end, more mod money for other parts.

The reason why I went with Bama was the fact they warranty number 8, and the free tunes for life is an added bonus as well. I tried their ghost cam on Monday and the car wasn't even driveable, I called them up and had a new tune in my inbox within 5 minutes. Great customer service with a quick turnaround.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
stick with the stock intake. Aftermarket intake is not really worht the $. IF you do insist on an intake then buy one used. They can be had for $100 less then buying a new one.

naeem5oh

Established Member
i would go with a c&L or JLT cai and bama as your tuner, the customer service and retune time is amazing, and once you have more mods done to the car, hit up shaun at AED

naeem5oh

Established Member
I bought my JLT used for $140 and a Bama tuner for under $360(after the forum discount.) I don't regret anything.

The Bama tunes are meh, I'm sure I would definitely gain more with an AED tune but Shaun wants something like $600-650 to buy a loaded tuner so it all evens out in the end, more mod money for other parts.

The reason why I went with Bama was the fact they warranty number 8, and the free tunes for life is an added bonus as well. I tried their ghost cam on Monday and the car wasn't even driveable, I called them up and had a new tune in my inbox within 5 minutes. Great customer service with a quick turnaround.

the AED tune can be had for $200-250 becuz you already have a sct tuner

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member

I to just got a bama tuner. When I loaded the tune the car didnt feel any different. A trip to the dyno confirmed the tune gained me 3whp and 0wtq, lol. I emailed bama and within 24 hours I got an Email back saying they are revising the tune from the logs I sent them and I'll have my now custom tune back within 24-48 hours. So far a+ service. The guy even answered the phone on Saterday and talk with me for 10-15 minutes about the problem, asking questions and was very nice and helpful. I'll make another trip to the dyno this weekend with gutted cats and their newly revised tune and report back. I will say though that their tune got rid of the low speed surging I had and did improve throttle responce a bit. I also had 0 issues with cold start and cold driving. I was impressed just by that. The car was over all a bit easier to drive on their tune also.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
the AED tune can be had for $200-250 becuz you already have a sct tuner
I would if it didn't void my Bama warranty. I just double checked his PM and it's $200. With that said, if anyone is thinking of buying an AED tune do it before the first of the year.

Yes, Pricing is increasing Jan 1st to the following:
Performance / Drag tunes: $250
Idle Lope option: $75
E85: $100

So for the 3 tunes you are looking at it will cost $325 after Jan 1st vs $250 now.

Buying the loaded tuner from him is $600. If you buy a new Bama tuner for $360 and 3 tunes from AED on top of that it comes to $560, and you have free tunes for life from Bama as a backup if needed for whatever reason.

Last edited:

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
I to just got a bama tuner. When I loaded the tune the car didnt feel any different. A trip to the dyno confirmed the tune gained me 3whp and 0wtq, lol. I emailed bama and within 24 hours I got an Email back saying they are revising the tune from the logs I sent them and I'll have my now custom tune back within 24-48 hours. So far a+ service. The guy even answered the phone on Saterday and talk with me for 10-15 minutes about the problem, asking questions and was very nice and helpful. I'll make another trip to the dyno this weekend with gutted cats and their newly revised tune and report back. I will say though that their tune got rid of the low speed surging I had and did improve throttle responce a bit. I also had 0 issues with cold start and cold driving. I was impressed just by that. The car was over all a bit easier to drive on their tune also.

Gotta love good customer service.

Fun4me

Established Member
Whats included for 200. Does Shaun datalog all the cars he tunes? Or is that Extra? Can he do tunes for the Intune?

neatofrito1618

Established Member
I too noticed almost nothing, it's definitely making me consider spending the $60 for a couple pulls so I can send them my logs.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I too noticed almost nothing, it's definitely making me consider spending the $60 for a couple pulls so I can send them my logs.

Luckly I get cheap dyno time so it only really cost me a couple hours and a drive. No big deal. Bama has been really easy to deal with and i'm sure they will get it worked out.

2011brembocoyot

Established Member
I just got back from my first drive after installing a used Steeda cai and a tune i bought from Steeda on a new SCT tuner and I can definitely tell a difference. The car pulls harder in every gear and sounds meaner too. Like was mentioned intakes can be found everywhere used at a big discount over new.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
We tune with both Diablo and SCT.

We can also make adjustments to your tune off a datalog if needed.

We've also got the worlds fastest N/A coyote and the worlds fastest Stock Longblock coyote's (N/A and Boosted).

Aaron

ViciousJay

Established Member
We tune with both Diablo and SCT.

We can also make adjustments to your tune off a datalog if needed.

We've also got the worlds fastest N/A coyote and the worlds fastest Stock Longblock coyote's (N/A and Boosted).

Aaron

witha custom intune what gains are you guys seeing dyno wise?

Users who are viewing this thread