Put down a deposit on next "GT500"?

DepWraith

Established Member
Still would do it if at MSRP. Unfortunately thanks to idiots with more money than brains, most dealers will charge way over and a deposit with terms would be nice to have.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
A Ford dealer that is owned by one guy can do things for good customers that the multi-dealer organizations cannot, such as sell any car they want for whatever they want. A bean counter at the multi-store outfits will tell the local manager what they can sell them for.

In MN, earnest money is not enforceable, the money is only as good as the guy putting it down. He wants it back, he gets it back. That is why who you know matters here.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
You have to know your dealer regarding placing orders like this. Back in 06 when the 07 GT500's orders were getting placed the norm was $25,000 over. The dealer I worked for at the time offered me one of his two allocations for $3000 over MSRP and I placed the order. Obviously he lived up to it. Getting the car on 12/08/2006 and was one of the greatest moments of my life. Even got permission to get it at the railyard.

I know of dealers who have refunded the monies back to customers who were promised at MSRP and the dealer sold the allocation to a "higher" bidder .... not right but you have good dealers and not so good dealers....

My .02 cents on the question at hand:

"Local dealer called me and asked if I wanted to throw my hat in the ring. He already has one deposit and he usually only gets 2 allocations per year. Its a real gamble right now since there is nothing definitive from Ford about .... well.... anything. But, it would be a $500 deposit, for a #2 spot at MSRP. Thoughts?" .... is this

If you know for sure that you want the car regardless of final configurations being determined ..... and you have a dealer who will give you the car at MSRP and you trust him/her; for $500 to me this is a no brainer

don

conceptmachine

Established Member
My dealer doesn't ask for a deposit and knows I have first spot for the gt500 at msrp. Hopefully they get allocation for any KR version that comes. I'ts a wait and see if I want it.

Drewsky65

Established Member
Im super surprised anyone dealers are offering MSRP for this. here in AZ they are still way over sticker on Gt350's. they will be selling the GT500's for 30-50k over for the first 6-12 months they are released. and yes ppl will pay it!

I would put 500 down on one right now for MSRP! what do you have to loose?? if you can afford a new Gt500 5 hundo is not gonna break the bank

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
1 of my local dealers always sell at msrp...I wish they could have got a shot at an 350R..But my friend has is name down first for the possible new gt500 or whatever it is!

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
1 of my local dealers always sell at msrp...I wish they could have got a shot at an 350R..But my friend has is name down first for the possible new gt500 or whatever it is!
So does he get to pick out options/colors, or does he have to take what the dealership will order?

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
So does he get to pick out options/colors, or does he have to take what the dealership will order?
When he bought his '14 GT500 and '17 GT350 from them, both msrp yes he got to choose anything he wanted. Now regards to this potential new car that I am not sure, but I do not see why not.

Cobra(ed) Up

Established Member
This seems like a sound risk to me. 500 today to avoid potentially paying 40k over msrp tomorrow. He can then turn around and sell it to one of the early adapters that dont value 40k. Even if it was non refundable, I thought that was contingent on actually getting the product. If he backs out they keep the 500. If it never comes arent they obligated to return his money?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This seems like a sound risk to me. 500 today to avoid potentially paying 40k over msrp tomorrow. He can then turn around and sell it to one of the early adapters that dont value 40k. Even if it was non refundable, I thought that was contingent on actually getting the product. If he backs out they keep the 500. If it never comes arent they obligated to return his money?

As long as there is a time assigned to how long the agreement is good for.

But also, adding a little fuel to the fire, I've heard some things through the grapevine...I'd do it if you could.

Disclaimer: I'm not selling any of my allocations until I see how the allocation process will work out; i.e. how many I will end up with.

csc427

Established Member
As long as there is a time assigned to how long the agreement is good for.

But also, adding a little fuel to the fire, I've heard some things through the grapevine...I'd do it if you could.

Disclaimer: I'm not selling any of my allocations until I see how the allocation process will work out; i.e. how many I will end up with.
I'm definitely in for whatever this car is gonna be. When you find out your allocations, what would I need to do to obtain one of them? Like to be ahead of the game on this car. Prefer the R/KR or whatever but I understand you will get limited allocations.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm definitely in for whatever this car is gonna be. When you find out your allocations, what would I need to do to obtain one of them? Like to be ahead of the game on this car. Prefer the R/KR or whatever but I understand you will get limited allocations.

At this point, I don't even know what to tell you.

I've heard they will be very limited.

#1 will go to my dad, as a retirement gift
#2 will go to @Tob , if he does not secure another allocation.
#3 will go to a previous customer
#4 is open...but who knows if I will even get that many.

I won't take anyone's deposit I can guarantee an allocation.

csc427

Established Member
At this point, I don't even know what to tell you.

I've heard they will be very limited.

#1 will go to my dad, as a retirement gift
#2 will go to @Tob , if he does not secure another allocation.
#3 will go to a previous customer
#4 is open...but who knows if I will even get that many.

I won't take anyone's deposit I can guarantee an allocation.
What do you need as far as deposit? I'll take it if/when you get the 4th one. If that would be ok. You can pm me if you'd like. Thank you.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
So the story is that ford makes everyone wait 5 years before this gen of GT500 hits the lots. On an aging platform. Then they build so few that no one can get their hands on one? And dealers can tack on ridiculous ADMs.

I believe I've never heard a better argument to buy something else!

If Ford cannot equal or best the ZL1 at the same price point (appx $65K fully loaded), it is time to throw in the towel. Besting the ZL1 for $20K more won't cut the mustard. I do not like GM, but if this is the case, the ZL1 will go down in history as the best bang for the buck ever!

Cobra(ed) Up

Established Member
I totally agree with you, the price point should be in line with other pony cars. (ZL1, Challenger). To price it at Z07 money, I will take my ball and play else where. I waited to buy my 350 below ADM for that very reason. But enough is enough. Some brands try to stop the ADM's but Ford seems to encourage it.

So the story is that ford makes everyone wait 5 years before this gen of GT500 hits the lots. On an aging platform. Then they build so few that no one can get their hands on one? And dealers can tack on ridiculous ADMs.

I believe I've never heard a better argument to buy something else!

If Ford cannot equal or best the ZL1 at the same price point (appx $65K fully loaded), it is time to throw in the towel. Besting the ZL1 for $20K more won't cut the mustard. I do not like GM, but if this is the case, the ZL1 will go down in history as the best bang for the buck ever!

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I totally agree with you, the price point should be in line with other pony cars. (ZL1, Challenger). To price it at Z07 money, I will take my ball and play else where. I waited to buy my 350 at 55k for that very reason. But enough is enough. Some brands try to stop the ADM's but Ford seems to encourage it.

How exactly does Ford encourage it?

Ford gives second build, and second year allocation based on sales volume of that particular specialty vehicle; i.e. the more you sell, the more you get to sell. Which is very similar to how Dodge did the Hellcat/Demon allocations.

Ford has always done a good job of not overproducing for the market. GM is probably the worst. There is no reason that ANY manufacturer should have to sell their specialty vehicles at 20% off, to move them (Corvette, ZL1, etc). That is not how the game works.

Keeping production numbers under demand, not only allows Ford to make more money, dealers to make more money, but it also keeps prices higher in the secondary market, therefore owners don't lose as much money.

For example: If you were to have purchased a GT350, even at $5k over MSRP so $62k, and drove it around for a year, put 5k miles on it, you could have easily sold it for $53-55k. So yes, you are out tax money and the $7-9k difference...but try doing the same thing in a Corvette or Camaro...not going to happen.

DepWraith

Established Member
MSRP is a number set by the manufacturer which provides a reasonable profit for the dealer; anything more is pure greed. When a manufacturer produces a vehicle for the masses (these aren't numbered and therefore are not limited production...they don't set a production limit on these), a consumer should be able to walk into ANY FORD DEALER and purchase a Ford product at the MSRP. Dodge advised their dealers that Demon orders at or below MSRP would be fulfilled first in order to combat these ridiculous mark ups by the dealers and Ford would be wise to do the same if they want to keep brand loyal customers.

C0bra99

Established Member
MSRP is a number set by the manufacturer which provides a reasonable profit for the dealer; anything more is pure greed. When a manufacturer produces a vehicle for the masses (these aren't numbered and therefore are not limited production...they don't set a production limit on these), a consumer should be able to walk into ANY FORD DEALER and purchase a Ford product at the MSRP. Dodge advised their dealers that Demon orders at or below MSRP would be fulfilled first in order to combat these ridiculous mark ups by the dealers and Ford would be wise to do the same if they want to keep brand loyal customers.
You do realize that dealers started selling them as used with a markup to get around this.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread