Q & A Session... - Ask a Ford Dealer

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
About locked cars at the dealer.

Galpin Motors, the largest dealership for many different brands (a MEGASTORE) leaves the cars and trucks on the front line locked since they could all be driven off the curb into the street. But the showroom cars are all unlocked, as are all the cars in their locked storage lots behind the dealership. And the keys are in the ignition too. I have gone back there to demo the sound systems on a lot of different cars. And if it's a hot day i will fire them up and run the AC too. They don't care. Maybe that's the reason i have bought several cars from them. And may soon be getting another.

The dealership I bought my wife's car from leaves ALL their cars unlocked outside 24/7 (new and used) and it's nice to be able to check out what intrest you without feeling like you have to talk with a salesperson.

Rainmaker

2highPSI
Established Member
1.) Any updated ETA on when the 2017 Super Duty might arrive?
2.) Any info on next-gen Expedition? (2018?)
3.) How does a dealer really feel about people on the lot just sitting in and checking out new cars without a salesman present. The way I look at it, they leave the cars/trucks unlocked it's fair game.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
About locked cars at the dealer.

Galpin Motors, the largest dealership for many different brands (a MEGASTORE) leaves the cars and trucks on the front line locked since they could all be driven off the curb into the street. But the showroom cars are all unlocked, as are all the cars in their locked storage lots behind the dealership. And the keys are in the ignition too. I have gone back there to demo the sound systems on a lot of different cars. And if it's a hot day i will fire them up and run the AC too. They don't care. Maybe that's the reason i have bought several cars from them. And may soon be getting another.
If they have them secured, not near as big of an issue. However, radios can still be removed, tailgates, etc.

I don't leave any of mine unlocked over night. My used cars are unlocked during business hours.
1.) Any updated ETA on when the 2017 Super Duty might arrive?
2.) Any info on next-gen Expedition? (2018?)
3.) How does a dealer really feel about people on the lot just sitting in and checking out new cars without a salesman present. The way I look at it, they leave the cars/trucks unlocked it's fair game.
1.) Preston Ford in Ohio posted pictures of a couple they received. Looked like fleet trucks. The mainstream ones will be towards the end of the year.

2.) I have not heard any.

3.) I'm all for people looking at whatever they want.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Willie2

Established Member
What happens to cars that don't sell? I know of 2 2014 Boss 302S's that are available in my area without trying to search very hard.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What happens to cars that don't sell? I know of 2 2014 Boss 302S's that are available in my area without trying to search very hard.
New ones?

They just stay for sale until they sell. The dealer discounts it enough to get someone to bite, or they keep it for advertising.

302S's would be better served as advertisements.

Willie2

Established Member
new, yes. The owner at one of the dealerships has it on the floor next to his Cobra replica so advertisement makes sense.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
new, yes. The owner at one of the dealerships has it on the floor next to his Cobra replica so advertisement makes sense.

Honestly, if it were me, I would keep the car and write it down $3-5k a month out of gross. Then at the end of a couple years, I'll have a free and clear 302S to do with what I want.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Out of curiosity, which dealer has one? I may contact him and for the right price come get it.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Dealer local to me has a never sold 2014 MKS ecoboost, original sticker $57K, reduced to $42K. But I can get new never sold 2015 SHO's for $33K. And why does Ford not continue rebates on these cars wasting away on dealer lots?

D1984

Whining
Established Member
Do you pay your guys on holdback? Do you have a dealer pack? Toyota is getting ridiculous with holdback and gross between invoice + holdback and MSRP these days. I can sell a $41k Tacoma at full pop and only have a $2000 deal and of course I don't get paid on holdback or the $500 dealer pack. And every little thing results in a charge back out of the front. Call me crazy but I thought dealer pack was to cover incidentals on sold vehicles. Just venting about my pay plan I guess :D

Just to clarify in case it's something that's different in various parts of the US, I'm referring to dealer pack as another deduction taken away from front end gross, not ADM

D1984

Whining
Established Member
If they have them secured, not near as big of an issue. However, radios can still be removed, tailgates, etc.

I don't leave any of mine unlocked over night. My used cars are unlocked during business hours.

We recently had to install a rod iron fence with a gate on a side of the lot that kept getting vandalized. Cars keyed, hit with baseball bats, tailgates stolen (we lock them all now if they are locking tailgates, but didn't in the past), and holes drilled in fuel tanks (I sold a Highlander once and it didn't show any signs of leaking until I tried to fill it up at the gas station, then we had to order them the only fuel tank in America at the time since they can't be swapped from another vehicle)

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Do you pay your guys on holdback? Do you have a dealer pack? Toyota is getting ridiculous with holdback and gross between invoice + holdback and MSRP these days. I can sell a $41k Tacoma at full pop and only have a $2000 deal and of course I don't get paid on holdback or the $500 dealer pack. And every little thing results in a charge back out of the front. Call me crazy but I thought dealer pack was to cover incidentals on sold vehicles. Just venting about my pay plan I guess :D

Just to clarify in case it's something that's different in various parts of the US, I'm referring to dealer pack as another deduction taken away from front end gross, not ADM

Yes I do pay on hold back. I have a $100, $200 or $300 pack depending if it's a located new vehicle, in stock new or pre-owned (respectively).

That's not just Toyota, that's every franchise any more.

My reasoning on pack money is its used to pay expenses. After I pay my salesman, managers, lot guy, dealer trade drivers, etc, there really isn't much left to pay the light bill. But if I take the money out up front and keep your percentage, it doesn't change your take home much but it helps the dealership hold money to pay expenses.

RRMBrembo

Established Member
I'm going to look at a used 2012 Tacoma double cab 4x4 TRD Off Road 75k miles that's been on the lot for over 60 days. They are offering under NADA and KBB but there is a 2013 TRD Sport with 60k miles not far down the road and they want the same price and has also been on the lot just over 60 days. I checked the truck out and it looks good and going to have it inspected today. Since it's the end of the month and it's been sitting on the lot what are the chances I can get a better deal out of them? I don't want to go in low balling, but I want to get the best prices I can. This is a large volume ford dealer on Cleveland's east side.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm going to look at a used 2012 Tacoma double cab 4x4 TRD Off Road 75k miles that's been on the lot for over 60 days. They are offering under NADA and KBB but there is a 2013 TRD Sport with 60k miles not far down the road and they want the same price and has also been on the lot just over 60 days. I checked the truck out and it looks good and going to have it inspected today. Since it's the end of the month and it's been sitting on the lot what are the chances I can get a better deal out of them? I don't want to go in low balling, but I want to get the best prices I can. This is a large volume ford dealer on Cleveland's east side.

That isn't a very black/white question...haha

KBB and NADA are kinda a waste of time to look at. In order to see what a vehicle should be selling for, you need to look at comparable vehicles around the market; much like you would do in house shopping. I doubt I have any cars on my pre-owned side that we aren't asking less than NADA retail.

With that being said, shoot me a PM with the dealership's name, I might know the dealer.

streetassasin

Welcome to Gaptown, TX
Established Member
In the next few months I'll be looking at getting a new truck, there are a few dealerships down here with 2016 xl sport crew cab f150s with a 2.7 ecoboosts for around $26k, think deals like that I'll still be going on in feb-march?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
In the next few months I'll be looking at getting a new truck, there are a few dealerships down here with 2016 xl sport crew cab f150s with a 2.7 ecoboosts for around $26k, think deals like that I'll still be going on in feb-march?

Possibly. It will depend on the timing of the 2017's. If they can start pumping them out quick enough, any 2016s left in March won't have as many rebates as they have now.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
To bring this great thread back, what's the deal with loaner vehicles? How come some have this service and others (most) dont?

I'm sure 13cobra will chime in. But I believe it's up to the dealer if they want to provide this. When I worked for a Ford dealer years ago we provided them for certain warranty work and SVT owners. Eventually when a certain amount of miles got put on we would sell them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
To bring this great thread back, what's the deal with loaner vehicles? How come some have this service and others (most) dont?

Really it just depends on the dealer.

We used to, we currently do not. I am considering opening up an LLC to have it separate from the dealership itself, and then lease them back to myself. There's a lot of liability to just let any customer drive a vehicle.

Most customer's insurance companies would pay for damages, however State Farm is on a new tirade where they will fight tooth and nail not to pay, if it is not their customer's vehicle.

GM has a MUCH better program for courtesy transportation than Ford does at the moment. However, it's borderline too good, so GM will be tightening the reigns a little in the future I imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread