Q & A Session... - Ask a Ford Dealer

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is an awesome thread. Thanks for all of your great input Nick.

Speedwagon

Established Member
First off... GREAT THREAD 13Cobra!! My question is ... I am looking to trade my 14 GT 5.0 Premium for a 16 or 17 GT. Is there a better time/month to do this incentive wsie. And Im sure the benies would be a lot better having to choose to buy the 16 GT than a newer 17. Or Would it? Im not sure what or what isnt the best time to get the deal that Im looking for. Thanks!

Entrenched

Established Member
When I bought my F250, the Ford Dealer was offering $12500 off MSRP on F150s, F250s, and Expeditions. I know there isn't that much profit in it for the dealer. How/Why do they do this? Is it a volume thing? I did finance through them because they beat the bank with FMC and it was part of the discount.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
They are driving around on the freeways all over around Detroit.

They are tagged in the windows with the production milestone ID's, I think they were tagged PP?

Ok so prolly for sure we're they were going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is an awesome thread. Thanks for all of your great input Nick.
Thanks Bob. I enjoy helping forum members out.

First off... GREAT THREAD 13Cobra!! My question is ... I am looking to trade my 14 GT 5.0 Premium for a 16 or 17 GT. Is there a better time/month to do this incentive wsie. And Im sure the benies would be a lot better having to choose to buy the 16 GT than a newer 17. Or Would it? Im not sure what or what isnt the best time to get the deal that Im looking for. Thanks!

It depends on your regional rebates and incentives. You may be able to save $1000-3000 on a 16 over a equally equipped 17, but you may not find the combination you truly want.

When I bought my F250, the Ford Dealer was offering $12500 off MSRP on F150s, F250s, and Expeditions. I know there isn't that much profit in it for the dealer. How/Why do they do this? Is it a volume thing? I did finance through them because they beat the bank with FMC and it was part of the discount.

Example. 2016 F150 XLT with chrome package on my lot right now...

Top MSRP: $52,135
MINUS Factory discounts of $2,500
MINUS markup of $3,708.68
MINUS rebates of $5,750

Purchase price: $40,176.32..... so $11,958.68 off.

There are higher priced ones out there that have more factory discounts that will show $12,500 off.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Is your head swollen yet Nick?
...insert joke about Brad's wife making my head swell...

Haha.

Honestly, I wanted to start this thread to show that the car business can be transparent and that every dealer out there isn't trying to screw consumers at every turn.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Example. 2016 F150 XLT with chrome package on my lot right now...

Top MSRP: $52,135
MINUS Factory discounts of $2,500
MINUS markup of $3,708.68
MINUS rebates of $5,750

Purchase price: $40,176.32..... so $11,958.68 off.

On the 40.2k sales price and salesman cut will you lose break even or make a little money based on your dealer costs after holdback? Little money made meaning less than 1k profit. I'm assuming the dealer won't make more than 1k on that deal after everyone is paid.

Zemedici

Established Member
On the 40.2k sales price and salesman cut will you lose break even or make a little money based on your dealer costs after holdback? Little money made meaning less than 1k profit. I'm assuming the dealer won't make more than 1k on that deal after everyone is paid.

Probably correct on the front end.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
$687.87 after everyone is paid and before you take into account the number of days it's been on your floorplan and the interest that has already accrued.

That particular truck hs been on my lot 32 days. So about $204.12 in interest. So I would net $483.75.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
...insert joke about Brad's wife making my head swell...

Haha.

Honestly, I wanted to start this thread to show that the car business can be transparent and that every dealer out there isn't trying to screw consumers at every turn.

Lol, I haven't messed with you for a while. I'm slacking! Wait, I showed you pictures of her?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
$687.87 after everyone is paid and before you take into account the number of days it's been on your floorplan and the interest that has already accrued.

That particular truck hs been on my lot 32 days. So about $204.12 in interest. So I would net $483.75.

Do you get any kick backs after the fact?

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member

So the dealer takes out a "loan" and pays interest on each vehicle on their lot? So for the dealers that are adding crazy ADMs (saw two Gt350s, one at $15k and the other at $20k ADM) are they paying interest on those vehicles also? ADM like that seems like a huge gamble then.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
So the dealer takes out a "loan" and pays interest on each vehicle on their lot? So for the dealers that are adding crazy ADMs (saw two Gt350s, one at $15k and the other at $20k ADM) are they paying interest on those vehicles also? ADM like that seems like a huge gamble then.

edit: dealers only put ADM on cars with high public interest. It's a gamble that people are impatient and have to be the first to have it while supply is low.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes.
edit: dealers only put ADM on cars with high public interest. It's a gamble that people are impatient and have to be the first to have it while supply is low.
Correct.

kit5pt0

Established Member
assuming a used car is in good condition - what tools do you use place a value on a used car and what's the best way for a non dealer consumer to place a value on a used car? follow up question is how accurate do you believe manheim MMR, kbb, and nada are?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
assuming a used car is in good condition - what tools do you use place a value on a used car and what's the best way for a non dealer consumer to place a value on a used car? follow up question is how accurate do you believe manheim MMR, kbb, and nada are?
MMR is the most accurate as it tracks the value of pre-owned vehicles by prices they have actually sold for.

If you take a NADA guide to the auction you will end up with a TON of cars for several thousand dollars more than they are worth. Anymore it seems that NADA clean trade is what you will be able to sell it for retail.

KBB is a joke as well.

I buy and price my vehicles based on the vehicles for sale. If I can make $5k and have it priced reasonably, great. If I make $1 and have it priced reasonably, great, moved the car and can reinvest. If I price it too high and let it sit...then I'm wasting everyone's time. That's why a lot of stores are moving towards being a one price store.

Users who are viewing this thread